Dave Dorian is losing his fan club

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
it may not take many years once he realizes the ceiling is the roof in Raleigh and he's done all he can there.
I mean what will change to get state past 8 a year? they cant play any easier non coms. their in state opponents are improving, the acc atlantic is the toughest division this side of the sec west.
he needs to go while his value is peaking. Like his deserter players.
Ok. I just wanted to make sure I understand what you are saying. So you also agree he is doing a fine job. If he has State at their proverbial ceiling or roof then he must be a good coach.

I do feel like we can get better. We were real close to beating Wake and Syracuse so technically if we improve a little we could actually look at a 10+ win season. I have no realistic expectations of ever being as good as the elite in the SEC. Again, no one other than maybe Clemson (still to be determined) can make that claim. All any coach can do is get his team to reach their potential. And yes that is different at every university and their are many factors that are completely out of the coaches control.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Ok. I just wanted to make sure I understand what you are saying. So you also agree he is doing a fine job. If he has State at their proverbial ceiling or roof then he must be a good coach.

I do feel like we can get better. We were real close to beating Wake and Syracuse so technically if we improve a little we could actually look at a 10+ win season. I have no realistic expectations of ever being as good as the elite in the SEC. Again, no one other than maybe Clemson (still to be determined) can make that claim. All any coach can do is get his team to reach their potential. And yes that is different at every university and their are many factors that are completely out of the coaches control.
I do fear though that DD and state peaked this year.
We shall see. I suspect as sly as DD is he knows that and will be leaving.

Reactions: jug

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
I was impressed with this year. Last year was supposed to be our year. The 2017 team was much better but he still managed a 9 win season this year. I would expect a drop off next year with the loss of: QB, receivers, RB, DL and OL. So next year will probably be a rebuilding year. Most schools have those. But I do expect a pretty good showing in 2020 and 2021 (8+ wins)assuming a relatively healthy year.

23mako

Ten Pointer
I have read the title of this thread enough times where "Dave Doeren" will forever be "Dave Dorian" in my head now! :ROFLMAO: Thank you jug!

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I do fear though that DD and state peaked this year.
We shall see. I suspect as sly as DD is he knows that and will be leaving.
I was thinking the same thing. Ncstate needs to go ahead and spend some serious coun on a coach that is gonna help them compete with Clemson. Cut the funding to the basketball program

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
so it looks like DD has hired his defensive helper. Is he a great hire? Going to fix the D?
Will they be able to stop mack? Or the pirates?

lunker30

Twelve Pointer
From strictly an “on paper” standpoint, he’s a great hire. His background is a belief in hard work. He’s from a coal mining family in WV. He’s a West Virginian at heart that will bring a great work ethic not only in coaching and recruiting. Named one of the of hottest recruiters in 2018 by “Street and Smith”.

A lot to like about the guy but who knows how he projects on fitting in with the staff and all that comes with it. Is this job a stop gap in his coaching career or will he enjoy state to hang around a few years.

On paper, a very good hire. Time will tell if it will pay off.

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
so it looks like DD has hired his defensive helper. Is he a great hire? Going to fix the D?
Will they be able to stop mack? Or the pirates?
No on all accounts.
I have lost faith in the man as a coach.
He lost to Wake freaking Forest on national tv to a 2nd string qb who got his first start.:rolleyes:...... and he does not know how to give a press conference without putting his foot in his mouth.

lunker30

Twelve Pointer
No on all accounts.
I have lost faith in the man as a coach.
He lost to Wake freaking Forest on national tv to a 2nd string qb who got his first start.:rolleyes:...... and he does not know how to give a press conference without putting his foot in his mouth.
Well Bye!

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Dorian losing yet another offensive staff member and one of his best recruiters. Ouch.
So what? Good teams lose their coaches to promotional opportunities. Bad teams fire their coaches. Which triangle team was losing coaches and which one was firing coaches?

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
So what? Good teams lose their coaches to promotional opportunities. Bad teams fire their coaches. Which triangle team was losing coaches and which one was firing coaches?
Are you implying that Fedora has no coaching tree? Blake Anderson and Seth Littrell are 2 of the hottest young head coaches in football. Gunter Brewer is sitting up with the Eagles. Walt Bell just got his first head coaching gig. All of that attrition is ultimately what led to Fedora's demise. Doeren went 0-8 and 3-5 for 4 consecutive years before Drinkwitz came to town. There is a reason and losing the likes of Ledford, Drinkwitz and now Faulkner, will be incredibly hard to overcome. Heck, he had to sell out on Kitchings as a coordinator to not lose his best recruiter.

You can talk this up all you want to but losing 3 offensive coaches, your QB, possibly your 2 best WR's, your RB, and over half your line is absolutely going to be A LOT to overcome. Just ask Larry. ;)

Last edited:

lunker30

Twelve Pointer
You can talk this up all you want to but losing 3 offensive coaches, your QB, possibly your 2 best WR's, your RB, and over half your line is absolutely going to be A LOT to overcome. Just ask Larry. ;)
Same song and dance you sang last year at this time but substitute defense for offense.

Maybe one day your dream will come true.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Same song and dance you sang last year at this time but substitute defense for offense.

Maybe one day your dream will come true.
Did the defense not get worse? And, please, you got me once on a record prediction.

Tell me, what's your prediction for the offense next year?

Last edited:

lunker30

Twelve Pointer
Did the defense not get worse? And, please, you got me once on the record prediction. Let's not sit here and act like that's the become the rule and not the exception.

Tell me, what's your prediction for the offense next year?
Defense get worse?

Not really.

Improved in rushing yards per game allowed.

Improved in PPG allowed.

Improved in opponents rushing 1st downs per game.

Greatly improved in opponents 3rd down conversions.

Stayed virtually the same in a lot of other categories.

Passing yards allowed +11 yards per game from 2017.

Yards per rush allowed 4.2 to 4.0.

Opponents passing completion +1% from 2017.

Where did you get the defense got worse from?

For a team that lost 9 starters, the defense was a pleasant surprise. Most programs can’t recover from losing the kind of production State did. State returns the majority of that defense while incorporating major young talent that’s already on campus and going through spring ball. All that and you have an improved and more consistent defense which will help the new look offense.

Offense prediction?

Of course they will take a step back production wise. What program replaces a near 4,000 yard passer, 2 1000 yard reciever, and a 1000 yard rusher?

No one.

Don’t expect State to win 9 games next year but they will win their fair share. As previously stated, they’ll win more than UNC, again.

State is about to have a combined 13 + kids get drafted over the last 2 years. Very few programs can say that, not even Clemson unless they have 10 plus guys get drafted this year.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Defense get worse?

Not really.

Improved in rushing yards per game allowed.

Improved in PPG allowed.

Improved in opponents rushing 1st downs per game.

Greatly improved in opponents 3rd down conversions.

Stayed virtually the same in a lot of other categories.

Passing yards allowed +11 yards per game from 2017.

Yards per rush allowed 4.2 to 4.0.

Opponents passing completion +1% from 2017.

Where did you get the defense got worse from?
We've already hashed this out and I am not listening to this BS after all that drama with that pathetic SOS. Please, post a side by side comparison of your ACC defensive production in in PPG, YPG, rushing yards per game given up and passing yards per game given up. I don't want a fluff piece of inflated stats because you traded South Carolina, Notre Dame, and Marshall, for ECU, James Madison and Georgia State. At face value EVERYBODY KNOWS THE TRUTH about that D especially during ACC play, so spare us. Lol.

Last edited:

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
For a team that lost 9 starters, the defense was a pleasant surprise. Most programs can’t recover from losing the kind of production State did. State returns the majority of that defense while incorporating major young talent that’s already on campus and going through spring ball. All that and you have an improved and more consistent defense which will help the new look offense.
Pleasent surprise? Your defense averaged giving up 428ypg and 29ppg in ACC play. Like I've always said, NC State fans have such an inflated view of their team because the horrendous nature of their OOC slate during DD's tenure. It's likely the worst in P5 football during that time. DD has always been exposed during ACC play save for maybe one year. Always.

Offense prediction?

Of course they will take a step back production wise. What program replaces a near 4,000 yard passer, 2 1000 yard reciever, and a 1000 yard rusher?
Is that it? What about the coach who brought in and developed that QB? Or the coach that developed that offense when 4 years prior, DD was anemic? What about the coach that developed and recruited that OL and that Remington Trophy center?

You've replaced those great up and comers with a QB coach who has been fired from his last FOUR jobs. (Florida, Cleveland, South Carolina, Colorado).

You replaced Drink with an OC who if he was OC quality, would have likely gotten the job before DD reached out Drink, all to keep from losing him as a recruiter.

You're delusional if you don't think these losses aren't going to have resounding effects for some time. There's a reason DD's job was on the hot seat prior to these guys showing up. ^This is the kind of staff attrition that sent Larry straight into the sh***er.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
And before I hear one thing about 'Welp, DD has proven he can identify great assistant coaches', he spent 4 years with a group of assistant coaches that nearly cost him his job. The only thing 'proven' in this situation is that the blind squirrel can find a nut every now and again.

Ledford and Drink were likely the 2 best player developers and gameday coaches on the roster. Michael Clark can spin it all he likes, these new hires are a downgrade from you lost.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
I'll help you out Lunker, this years defense gave up a TD more per game and 50 yards more per game in ACC play, and that was with last years defense having to face a Louisville team that had Lamar Jackson and a much more respectable FSU team.

lunker30

Twelve Pointer
Pleasent surprise? Your defense averaged giving up 428ypg and 29ppg in ACC play. Like I've always said, NC State fans have such an inflated view of their team because the horrendous nature of their OOC slate during DD's tenure. It's likely the worst in P5 football during that time. DD has always been exposed during ACC play save for maybe one year. Always.
If exposed in ACC play means having the 2nd best ACC record over the last 2 years then give me more of Dave and crew being exposed.

The ‘18 defense gave up 44 more yards and 5ppg more than the ‘17.

Any coach will take that with all the production lost.

2019 should see an improvement back towards 2017.

Don’t think anyone was pumping State’s defense as elite.

They took a smaller step back than what was predicted. They are still light years better than what UNC puts on the field.

lunker30

Twelve Pointer
I'll help you out Lunker, this years defense gave up a TD more per game and 50 yards more per game in ACC play, and that was with last years defense having to face a Louisville team that had Lamar Jackson and a much more respectable FSU team.
Once again, wrong.