Dare County No Access ........

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Personally, I don’t really think of this time of year as tourist season in Dare County, but I guess it is starting up. Thinking about it from the perspective of going from winter season, small town/village populations to out of town tourists likely coming from larger cities, even other countries,....I get it now. The effort makes sense really. Not in support of it, but I get it.
People with kids out of school and apring breaks that have been cancelled. It makes sense even if I don't agree with it. In their defense, every time I have clients that need services in the OBX it's a pain in the butt.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
I heard a tourist bitching at a gas station cashier about how he came from BFE to vacation here while out of work and now there's no where to eat and nothing to do. Ol' boy was pissed and he's letting everyone know it.

Hopefully him and his husband are heading back to their home state.

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
Interesting. My BIL lives in Greenwich Conn. They are too close to the city to suit him during this problem. So they are headed down to their beach house at Figure 8. He says folks in the city without beach houses on the OB are trying to rent them to escape the higher infection rate in the city and to get a cheap mini vaca with their kids. And the Dare County powers that be decided to SHOW THEM YANKEES to stay home with their germs! I wonder how this will play on the tourists from up north once things settle down.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Interesting. My BIL lives in Greenwich Conn. They are too close to the city to suit him during this problem. So they are headed down to their beach house at Figure 8. He says folks in the city without beach houses on the OB are trying to rent them to escape the higher infection rate in the city and to get a cheap mini vaca with their kids. And the Dare County powers that be decided to SHOW THEM YANKEES to stay home with their germs! I wonder how this will play on the tourists from up north once things settle down.

Hopefully some would decide not to come back to NC. But they are like mosquitos. Run one away a dozen comes back in its place

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Just imagine the reverse.

Dare county being ground zero for a virus with none in surrounding counties. Dare hospitals full. Loved ones need help.

Surrounding counties say you can't cross into our county. If the reverse had happened the other counties would look like Satan.

big bore bob

Eight Pointer
Well, I have a house rented for the week of Easter.
Guess I will lose my money, it's paid in full. I betcha travel insurance won't cover this.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
So who is volunteering their home county to take care of 20,000 sick city folks from up north that want a "vacation".?
Dare county does not have the healthcare infastructure to deal with a problem of that magnitude, should it come to fruition. The influx of healthy tourists, at times, strain the system in dare county.
If we let em in and cant take care of em if they get sick, the same ones bitching would be breaking out the torches and pitchforks bad mouthing the county for letting em in.
Yet we're the :donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donks for admitting we have a healthcare shortage in dare county and being proactive about it

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I never said anything about Northerners .......what i dislike is not letting fellow North Carolinians in. Dare is not even letting people pass through . I have a good friend who has land there. I cant even hunt it or fish it right now if I wanted to and I would wager that most of the state roads in Dare county were paid for mostly by Taxes out of the county by fellow North Carolinians, and Hwy 64 is a Federal Highway and there is no way it should be shut down to anyone for this virus.

People/government are going toooooooo far with this stuff. California on lockdown right now and with Cooper in control and martial law in some county/s I suspect my county may be next,

Oh well, If I cant work I am going fishing or hunting and they will just have to arrest me and feed me. Told my wife today there is no way in hell I am staying on lockdown if it happens.

our freedoms and rights are being taken away and most everyone is ok with it.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
I never said anything about Northerners .......what i dislike is not letting fellow North Carolinians in. Dare is not even letting people pass through . I have a good friend who has land there. I cant even hunt it or fish it right now if I wanted to and I would wager that most of the state roads in Dare county were paid for mostly by Taxes out of the county by fellow North Carolinians, and Hwy 64 is a Federal Highway and there is no way it should be shut down to anyone for this virus.

People/government are going toooooooo far with this stuff. California on lockdown right now and with Cooper in control and martial law in some county/s I suspect my county may be next,

Oh well, If I cant work I am going fishing or hunting and they will just have to arrest me and feed me. Told my wife today there is no way in hell I am staying on lockdown if it happens.

our freedoms and rights are being taken away and most everyone is ok with it.
If the property you want to fish or hunt is in mainland dare county you can get to it. If its on one of the islands, nope you're out of luck.
This is standard procedure for our county for hurricanes also.
I'm not aware of any county under martial law, dare county isn't.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I wonder how this will play on the tourists from up north once things settle down.
Not just for "up north", but if it lasts very long I suspect there will be negative reactions for future vacation planning. People do have choices, and if they lose a few $grand now it won't be soon forgotten. It does appear to be bureaucratic overreach, and Dare County is biting the hand that feeds them.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So who is volunteering their home county to take care of 20,000 sick city folks from up north that want a "vacation".?
Dare county does not have the healthcare infastructure to deal with a problem of that magnitude, should it come to fruition. The influx of healthy tourists, at times, strain the system in dare county.
If we let em in and cant take care of em if they get sick, the same ones bitching would be breaking out the torches and pitchforks bad mouthing the county for letting em in.
Yet we're the :donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donk:donks for admitting we have a healthcare shortage in dare county and being proactive about it
FYI, my wife was (and is) getting daily emails from every vacation rental company we've ever rented from saying "we are open for business, come on down!" I imagine the ones from the outer banks have stopped, but she's still getting them from other locations.

I understand that the OBX is a different place with unique logistical needs. I can even agree with turning away out of state residents - that is mostly who goes there anyway. NC vacationers there are in the minority. I do think they should be careful about how they go about this, if they want people to come in the future. As was mentioned, people have choices. Good messaging might go along way toward how those being turned away feel about it.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

I see your point.

From the outside looking in.... it looks like you want the tourists when you want them... and not when you don’t.

That’s a great gig, if you don’t piss em off.

darenative

Twelve Pointer
I see your point.

From the outside looking in.... it looks like you want the tourists when you want them... and not when you don’t.

That’s a great gig, if you don’t piss em off.
What's worse, not letting em in or letting them in and not being able to provide basic health services for em if they get sick?

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What's worse, not letting em in or letting them in and not being able to provide basic health services for em if they get sick?

I didn’t claim to have any answers.

The people who need to provide an answer to your question.....are the ones making the rules they’re going to have to live with for a LONG time.