Dare bombing range bear hunt

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Still hunting there is basically finding sign and watching for one to come in the road. If you can shoot longer range shots it will increase your odds immensely.

A group of guys that bear hunted some with us with hounds got drawn for the hound hunt a few years ago. They hunted all the days, killed one small bear that treed a ways off the road and said they’ll never step foot on that place again.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Still hunting there is basically finding sign and watching for one to come in the road. If you can shoot longer range shots it will increase your odds immensely.

A group of guys that bear hunted some with us with hounds got drawn for the hound hunt a few years ago. They hunted all the days, killed one small bear that treed a ways off the road and said they’ll never step foot on that place again.

Is the thing they called the stomper still there. It was something experimental they tried using to knock down the brush. It was right at the Hyde Dare co line

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Is the thing they called the stomper still there. It was something experimental they tried using to knock down the brush. It was right at the Hyde Dare co line
Not sure, I haven’t been on that part of the range in years. I know a lot of stuff got hauled off. If I go over there, I always go in on the other side and the bridge across Whipping Creek got to the point I wouldn’t cross it. I think they actually took it down now and have the road blocked.

Last edited:

Clark

Ten Pointer
Much of ENC is tough slogging. I would not want to cross Alligator River NWR, or Pocosin Lakes, or Croatan unless I was following a trail.

Buckshot1

Twelve Pointer
me and my sons drew this hunt as well. Never been there or seen that terrain and understand its very "hostile" territory. I'm originally from South Ga. and have seen some purdy nasty stuff myself as well so i can imagine what its like there. Anyway i'm looking forward to the experience. We plan a couple days of scouting while down there in a coupe weeks and again a couple days in advance of the hunt.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
I've bear hunted an area similar around my house. My advice is to have a well thought out plan for recovery. I've seen guys come 1/2 mile out of the pocosin dragging a bear with come alongs and ropes, behind a group swinging machetes. I gave up bear hunting soon after😂