Damned Psychotic Nerve....

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Lol, that's what my Momma always called it and I'm starting to understand why. Don't know what I've done or how I did it but for the last two days my RS Sciatic nerve has been making my days and nights purely miserable. Pain shooting from my lower back all the way down to my ankle, it'll wake me up out of a dead sleep if I move wrong. It's fine while sitting but lying down is a crap shoot. Finally ended up in the recliner last night to get any semblance of rest....

Anybody got any tips on meds or exercises to correct or alleviate this? I've got a 3D tournament Saturday, those courses aren't very wheelchair friendly, and I'm still too young and handsome to use a cane. But I will if I have to.....

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My wife just went to the Doc about a similar nerve (runs down the side of the leg). Doc told her it could be sciatic nerve or another nerve I can't spell, but the treatment was the same. Drug call Gabapentin (sp).

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What is the possibility of you having access to an inversion table? If you could use one a few times it could easily make a big difference.
You can also try alternating heat and cold to the area to relax and reduce any swelling..
Hope you feel better quick as I know exactly how if feels.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What is the possibility of you having access to an inversion table? If you could use one a few times it could easily make a big difference.
You can also try alternating heat and cold to the area to relax and reduce any swelling..
Hope you feel better quick as I know exactly how if feels.
Thanks for reminding me, I have one in storage at my brother's house. That's my first stop this morning....

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Donā€™t wait around. My dad struggled with the same issue & put it off until it was potentially affecting his digestive system & bowel movements. With him it started affecting his right foot & developed into ā€œdrop footā€.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A good sports based massage therapist can make a huge difference when combined with the chiropractor(it's gonna hurt like a $%^$ at first when they massage those nerves). Also changing your mattress can help greatly, I had to sleep on an air mattress for several years before I could go back to a memory foam mattress.

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Dont have it, dont use it not sure i believe in it all but see below

Since cannabis helps with pain and more specifically neuropathic pain, this suggests cannabis may also help with the sharp and shooting pain that occurs in the lower back and radiates down the legs known as sciatica. In places where medicinal cannabis is available, chronic pain is always one of the approved conditions, as is neuropathy.

Research shows that the expression of cannabinoid receptors in the body are where the pain-relieving properties of cannabis come from. These receptors also appear to be how cannabis may help reduce neuropathic pain.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Mine flared up and I drug my left leg around for a while thinking it would get better. It didnt. They do not un-pinch.

A good chiropractor kept me off the operating table for 7-8 years until I finally had to have surgery at L4/5 and although it did seem a success I waited way too long and I still have residual numbness in my left foot.

Not sure a good chiro dr could have you shooting comfortably by this weekend though buddy....

It a literal pain in the arse for sure

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Nothing helped mine until the disc finally blew out and I had surgery.
Taking the wife to Dr in Raleigh today about her back.

Theysay stretching helps....maybe Google some and try it.
Take 800mg of ibuprofen might help for a few hrs.

Rubline

Twelve Pointer
Dont have it, dont use it not sure i believe in it all but see below

Since cannabis helps with pain and more specifically neuropathic pain, this suggests cannabis may also help with the sharp and shooting pain that occurs in the lower back and radiates down the legs known as sciatica. In places where medicinal cannabis is available, chronic pain is always one of the approved conditions, as is neuropathy.

Research shows that the expression of cannabinoid receptors in the body are where the pain-relieving properties of cannabis come from. These receptors also appear to be how cannabis may help reduce neuropathic pain.
I've had pain in my lower right side back for two weeks.
It's very painful to get out of bed in the morning but once I'm up and moving the pain goes away.
I've used some cannabis cream for pain and soreness in the past and plan on getting some more today.
It works for me and I recommend trying it.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My wife suffered with it a long time and spent a lot of money with a not-so-good chiropractor. When she told him she was considering surgery he was actually ugly to her. She finally saw a neurosurgeon with her x-ray and MRI. He fixed her pinched nerve which was mostly caused by arthritis and she was pain free for 9 years. Just had surgery again Monday and the sciatica pain is gone again. She had a herniated disc and arthritis this time.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Nothing helped mine until the disc finally blew out and I had surgery.
Taking the wife to Dr in Raleigh today about her back.

Theysay stretching helps....maybe Google some and try it.
Take 800mg of ibuprofen might help for a few hrs.
Thanks. I slathered that hip down with Voltaren and took Naproxen, an anti-inflammatory. I did a search and spent about 45 minutes rolling around on the floor, trying every stretching exercise I could find that mentioned the word. Lol, damn glad there isn't a video.....
I finally got enough relief from that that I could at least mow the yard. I guess I'm just going to have to make a habit of doing that from now on....

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
I have several very flat disc in my lower back, sciatic nerve gets nailed frequently as do a few others. A portable TENS unit can work wonders, image of Mine below. I got it on Amazon cheap but effective. I walk around with it on at work frequently. I'm also allergic to ibuprofen but can take indomethacin it works very well for nerve inflammation.

Attachments

• 20220804_101233.jpg
    20220804_101233.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220804_101258.jpg
    20220804_101258.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 8

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
It's likely due to something in your back. herniated disc, bone spur or just inflammation in an area that is causing swelling of that nerve. Nerve swells and communication channels get pinched enough you will eventually see symptoms like foot drop. Try walking on your heels only, if one foot falls to the floor each step, that's foot drop. Foot drop can go unnoticed since you may only notice subtle foot slides every 100+ steps, then you blame it on the floor. Gabapentin will help the symptom (nerve pain) but not the problem. NSAIDS for inflammation. I'd also sleep with pillow between my legs, others also had good suggestions. Hopefully you won't need if you have foot drop/numbness get MRI.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
I have a chronic problem with that along with restless leg due to spondylosis were my vertebrae has moved out of place. Inversion helps,gabapentin helps but only so much. I get lumbar injections that work for a few weeks and TENS helps if your muscles are tightened up and pulling you out of place or putting pressure on the nerve in the buttocks hip area. I can be fine all day and lay down to sleep and it starts hurting, spent many nights laying on the floor with my legs up on a chair or couch. Having knees up relieves the pressure on the nerve if its being pinched in the lumbar area. It's going to depend on what is pressuring the nerve that determines what helps. If you're discs in your spine are deteriorated it may be something you deal with from now on

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My wife just went to the Doc about a similar nerve (runs down the side of the leg). Doc told her it could be sciatic nerve or another nerve I can't spell, but the treatment was the same. Drug call Gabapentin (sp).
When I first hurt my back they put me on that crap, I could watch TV without turning it on. Talk about hallucinations.

m4ncsu

Ten Pointer
Every time I consider going to a chiropractor, I read a story where someone died or got seriously hurt at one. Makes me nervous.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
No other pain has caused me to sit and cry. The first time it was in my right leg and foot, spine surgery fixed it for two years before scar tissue and inflammation caused it worse than ever that time in my left leg and foot. I had four spinal injections and took Lyrica for six months, which almost turned me into a zombie. I've had women tell me that it was worse pain than childbirth.

I've found keeping the thigh muscles strong helps and for sure the trunk muscles. Leg lifts, crunches, anything to firm up the old belly will help.

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
TENS unit had been the only way I can walk in to hunt or sit still while hunting many days. Feels like ants crawling under your skin. Friendly pain killing ants. Doc says I am way to high functioning for surgery.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Thanks everybody, some good advice. The same thing happened a couple of weeks ago on my LS but it wasn't nearly as severe or long lasting. I think it's happening because I'm becoming a lot more sedentary in this heat. After 20+ years of running across rooftops in these crazy temps I don't handle it nearly as well as I use to. That leaves me sitting on my butt in the a/c most of the day, not a good thing at my age......

I've decided that in the morning I'm going to check into our one and only local gym. Aside from 3D and walking through the woods I'm not getting the exercise I use to and that may be a big part of my problem. If they have a sauna and a whirlpool I'm in, both would do me a world of good.....
Thanks again guys....

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Lol, that's what my Momma always called it and I'm starting to understand why. Don't know what I've done or how I did it but for the last two days my RS Sciatic nerve has been making my days and nights purely miserable. Pain shooting from my lower back all the way down to my ankle, it'll wake me up out of a dead sleep if I move wrong. It's fine while sitting but lying down is a crap shoot. Finally ended up in the recliner last night to get any semblance of rest....

Anybody got any tips on meds or exercises to correct or alleviate this? I've got a 3D tournament Saturday, those courses aren't very wheelchair friendly, and I'm still too young and handsome to use a cane. But I will if I have to.....
Hate this for you. I know how it can fell. Mine got so bad I couldn't pick my foot off the floor. Crazy thing is I finally figured out what was causing my problem. It was my wallet in my back pocket put pressure on my nerve while I was setting.