Daily Fitness/workout thread

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Got about 3.5 miles in scouting for turkeys and checking a few things on the lease this morning.

Then I decided the day was too beautiful to waste. So I did easy 45 minute road bike ride. Then followed it up with a slow 2 mile run.

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Pre-Night Shift Quick Brick Today…, and it feels like the MAF training is working.
20K Bike followed by a 4 mile Hilly Tempo Run with a couple all out Fartleks, followed by a cool down shuffle run… 3 weeks until the taper :cool:

20230325_222508.jpg

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
20 mile bike ride this morning. Got caught in a downpour. Thought it was going to turn into a 20 mile swim at one point!!!

Lots of turkeys out this morning.

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Did a short hilly 5 mile MAF run today with ~950' of elevation gain focusing on a HR of 126 - 136. Didn't miss it by much zeroed in on watching the HR monitor :cool: but it was slow 😁
Screenshot_20230326-233346_Myzone.jpg

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
After thinking I’d come through unscathed I finally caught the crud that blew through our department so I didn’t do my normal Solo Century Ride today. Decided to keep it short.
Did ride a hard Tempo 21 mile TT with ~1,000’ of elevation gain and the wind was brutal today.
Afterwards I ran an easy upper MAF Zone 10K with a tempo finish for the last ¾ mile.
Although sick…, it turned out to be productive day :cool:
Screenshot_20230327-165103_Myzone.jpg

20230327_195438.jpg

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Post work 5k run 8:45 pace.

And… I said I wasn’t going to buy a tri bike. Butttt, one of the ER docs practically gave me a 2012 Kestrel 4000 Pro!! Looking forward to getting it tuned up and to start riding it.

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Post work 5k run 8:45 pace.

And… I said I wasn’t going to buy a tri bike. Butttt, one of the ER docs practically gave me a 2012 Kestrel 4000 Pro!! Looking forward to getting it tuned up and to start riding it.
That sounds like a bike Dr Mark H. rode? Red & Black?
Kestrels are sweet bikes :cool: but Cervelos are better 😁 jk
You wanna ride some time.., give a shout. We'll be hammering around Buffalo Cove, aka Methlehem Mountain tomorrow for a 60 or 90...

Today was a zone 1 & 2 recovery day - :30 Free @ 145 to 1:48/100 - :15 Stationary - :15 indoor track run.

Multiple climbs are on tap for tomorrow :cool:

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
That sounds like a bike Dr Mark H. rode? Red & Black?
Kestrels are sweet bikes :cool: but Cervelos are better 😁 jk
You wanna ride some time.., give a shout. We'll be hammering around Buffalo Cove, aka Methlehem Mountain tomorrow for a 60 or 90...

Today was a zone 1 & 2 recovery day - :30 Free @ 145 to 1:48/100 - :15 Stationary - :15 indoor track run.

Multiple climbs are on tap for tomorrow :cool:
Anything is better than my 2003 Cannondale!!

I’ll hit you up sometime for a ride. Got to get this new bike tuned up a little and get used to riding it before I do any long rides.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Went to work at 0400 so I was able to leave early.

Knocked out 5 miles at 9:30/pace.

I’ve got to ramp up my training. Another doc at the ER is doing the same race as me. Everyone at work has said “You better beat him!!” No pressure, right? He’s younger than me, no kids and has a $10k bike!!!

I like a challenge!!

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Went to work at 0400 so I was able to leave early.

Knocked out 5 miles at 9:30/pace.

I’ve got to ramp up my training. Another doc at the ER is doing the same race as me. Everyone at work has said “You better beat him!!” No pressure, right? He’s younger than me, no kids and has a $10k bike!!!

I like a challenge!!
That's starting to sound like the old Fryefarm days..., the "Blue Collars" vs the "White Collars" 😁

Last long ride.... Complete! Did multiple laps around Buffalo Cove today with ~4,000' of elevation gain.., for 5 hours in the MAF zone.., with a 10 mile Tempo Finish.
Now it's time to shorten the training days but jack up the Tempo.... Taper in 2 weeks :cool:

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What components and how much?
I already have 2 Cervelos, a P3 & P2K, and it wouldn't hurt to have a 3rd 😁 3's company..., right? 😁
Screenshot 2023-02-10 172641.png

Let me know if you're interested. I had it serviced before IM LOU and it performed flawlessly. It's been in my man cave, since. Someone needs to be riding it. If you're really interested, I'm sure we can get together on a price.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Note to self. DO NOT TRY TO HANG WITH FORMER SPEC OPS GUYS!!

I joined a couple guys I work with (who are both 15 yrs my senior) on their work out.

100 push ups. 100 sit ups. 100 burpees. Lunges with 50lb weighted vest for 1/4mile Then 4 mile run at sub 8:00 min/mile pace.

I puked. Twice. I did the run at 7:58 pace. The other two guys did it at 7:29 and 7:34 pace. I threw in the towel after that. They went mountain biking.

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Note to self. DO NOT TRY TO HANG WITH FORMER SPEC OPS GUYS!!

I joined a couple guys I work with (who are both 15 yrs my senior) on their work out.

100 push ups. 100 sit ups. 100 burpees. Lunges with 50lb weighted vest for 1/4mile Then 4 mile run at sub 8:00 min/mile pace.

I puked. Twice. I did the run at 7:58 pace. The other two guys did it at 7:29 and 7:34 pace. I threw in the towel after that. They went mountain biking.
I guess there's reason why those dudes are/were at the pointy end of the spear 😎

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Pre Night Shift yesterday afternoon..
1500 meter Tempo Swim @ 1:38/100
4 mile MAF Run @ 10:00 min/mile pace

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Stuck at this dance competition but i have not let that keep me from doing stuff.

Hotel had a Peloton so I did a 1 hour ride last night.

Today, I have had about 2 hours in between dances. So every 2ish hours I’ve been going out and running around the parking lot for 30 min.

So far I’ve done the following:
1st run@ 0900- 3.3 miles
2nd-3.1 miles
3rd- 2.86 miles (post Japanese food 🤪)
Last one-3.34 miles

We checked out of the hotel room early this morning, so no shower. I don’t smell very good. No one will sit near me!!!

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Hilly 10K at MAF zone pace & slightly above (practice pacing), but below AT + cool down spin
Flats = ~9:28/mile
Hills = ~10:33/mile

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Got out of work early today. So did an easy brick work out.

15 mile bike ride
5k run

First real ride on the new (to me) Kestrel. Still needs a little tweaking and tuning but it’s much faster than my old Cannondale.

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
@T-Rock and @timekiller13 are you guys doing any kind of specific diet? What is your daily caloric intake? I would think you’ve got to have some calories to maintain energy to do what you guys are doing.
I base my caloric intake on my REE (measured) then use the Myzone app to add to it or take away depending on the WOD. It's like a checking account, big deposit, big account, small deposit, small account..., and every 3,400 - 3,500 calories deprived is a pound lost. Since I'm approaching 60, the long endurance stuff whittles away at muscle mass since it normally declines with age.., so I make a huge effort to get in 150 grams to 200 grams of protein per day to help prevent loss of muscle mass. Thus far it has worked..

While training during long runs and bike rides.., at a minimum I'll take in 100 calories every 20-30 minutes..

Edited to add...

My REE/BMR is around 2,000 calories per day. On the day below (Myzone App) I burnt ~ 4,709 calories. Add in the REE/BMR, and to break even for the day I had to eat 6,709 calories, and a large portion in protein because of the muscle damage done. While training, I only pay attention to calories and try to keep it ~ 70/30 except for recovery days where protein intake exceeds carbs % wise. That's my method and thus far it has worked like a charm 😁 :cool:
337269160_1263243957932852_2202797174067084371_n.jpg

Last edited:

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
@T-Rock and @timekiller13 are you guys doing any kind of specific diet? What is your daily caloric intake? I would think you’ve got to have some calories to maintain energy to do what you guys are doing.
I don’t have any specific diet. I just eat a lot!!

On average day I probably eat 3500 calories. I do make sure I get a lot of protein. And I make sure that I don’t eat a lot of “empty” calories (junk food).

Fueling and hydrating during long work outs is key and something I struggle with. I like real food. Not those gels and crap. The gels are convenient due to size, but i prefer to eat a candy bar, or some fruit. But I’m terrible at consistently fueling during long runs. And it hurts me I’m sure.

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
On tap today was a huge brick but the rainy day made me lazy 😁
:60 minute Freestyle - easy pace
:30 minute Stationary Bike
:30 minute MAF Run