CWD now found in Alabama

Ceehawk37

Ten Pointer
It’s easing its way east. Just a matter of time. The state opened up all public land (most of it up there is bow only or has certain dates for firearms) to any legal weapon and no bag limit. The plan seems to be wipe out the herd (they won’t but they’ll put a dent in it) on public land so they can test more deer for it. I’m not a fan of this idea. Would probably help more if they banned baiting but because of the baiting permit fees they instituted I doubt that will ever be considered. Too much money at stake to do that.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
we should start a betting pool on when the ncwrc declares it official here in NC.
Or a pool where we guess the number of minutes before CRC posts the confirmation. :)
Just playin CRC- unless you had posted most of us would have no clue about AL.
I do dread it's arrival here and the drama that will ensue.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Now found in Lousiana

ALERT: LDWF has imposed a feeding and carcass export ban on deer in Tensas, Franklin, and Madison parishes in response to the CWD-positive deer harvested in Tensas Parish. The carcass export ban is effective immediately. The feeding ban is effective as of Monday, February 7, 2022.

Last edited:

whitty

Six Pointer
I don’t understand the theory of killing all the deer. What’s the difference in you killing them or CWD killing them. I’m not saying it’s the wrong thing to do but what’s the end goal. I’ve honestly never looked into it.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I don’t understand the theory of killing all the deer. What’s the difference in you killing them or CWD killing them. I’m not saying it’s the wrong thing to do but what’s the end goal. I’ve honestly never looked into it.
It’s all about keeping it contained.. I would encourage everyone to research it..

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The only two that have really had it for decades are Colorado and Wyoming
Two decades now for wild cervids in NE, SD, NM, WI, IL and MN, as well as Saskatchewan. You know, if you want to get bogged down in the weeds about a disease found in other states.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
It’s a knee jerk reaction. Much like covidiocy. But…OMG we have to dooooo SOMETHING!!!

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Two decades now for wild cervids in NE, SD, NM, WI, IL and MN, as well as Saskatchewan. You know, if you want to get bogged down in the weeds about a disease found in other states.

I'm talking about really for decades (since the 1960s)

Colorado and Wyoming still have their deer, elk and moose

CRC

Old Mossy Horns

NC already put that into practice with the unlimited bonus tags.

Didn't need CWD as an excuse to let hunters shoot every doe they saw

So what if the WRC reinstates the unlimited bonus tags because of CWD?

Last edited:

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Well... Apparently the containment strategy isn't working. 🤔

I just listened to a podcast with Chuck Sykes DNR director of AL, his opinion is that the deer they found came from Arkansas, because it’s right at the state line. Or, someone brought back a entire deer from a CWD area.

“Contained” as in manage the deer herd in that
area. Keep the possible infected deer there, and eliminate them.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Interestingly enough most states with CWD, in their CWD areas, have not really liberalized buck limits.

Virginia, for example, repealed some antler restrictions but the left the antlered buck bag limit as it is except right next to the CWD positive in the area
around Montgomery county:

• Either-sex CWD Management Tags to be offered to all landowners holding greater than 5 contiguous acres within the DFZ. Letters with additional information on this new program will be mailed to all qualified landowners in September.
  • © 2022 Virginia Department of Wildlife Resources

Of course the WRC claims here in NC they cannot manage deer on a small scale but are going to try it anyway with CWD

Last edited:

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
“Contained” as in manage the deer herd in that area. Keep the possible infected deer there, and eliminate them.
Yes, I understand the thinking. But, if the containment strategy was effective, then it wouldn't keep popping up in new areas, eh?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Yes, I understand the thinking. But, if the containment strategy was effective, then it wouldn't keep popping up in new areas, eh?

The difference is each state and province is managing CWD a little differently.

If game departments went 'scorched earth' on eradicating wild an captive cervids, it might just work. And I mean eradicating every last wild cervid in a state.