CVA Wolf .50 SS

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Been reading the other threads, and a few on other forums. Concensus seems to be BH209 is the best.

I bought a small jug today at Walmart but, the only primers they had were these.

Clerk said that this is the only shipment of muzzleloading supplies they'll get this year.

Will this suffice, or am I setting myself up for disaster? I haven't hunted with a muzzle loader in many years, and I bought the gun last year on clearance.

Thanks guys.

20210731_161207.jpg

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Thanks guys. That's what I was thinking. Read the memo someone dropped about the primers that are most compatible.

I couldn't find much info about these. If I can't find any magnum primers, I'll probably buy the Triple 7 pellets they had.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Thanks guys. That's what I was thinking. Read the memo someone dropped about the primers that are most compatible.

I couldn't find much info about these. If I can't find any magnum primers, I'll probably buy the Triple 7 pellets they had.
I just ordered a Wolf stainless and will use it for the public land challenge. I was bummed there wasn’t any BH209 breech plugs in stock. Got my gun delivered and opened it up, and there was one in there. Idk how it happened but I was pumped. The quick release breech plug is pretty cool.

B9D95FF0-A5D9-4F78-9531-0F1F441CB732.jpeg

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I just ordered a Wolf stainless and will use it for the public land challenge. I was bummed there wasn’t any BH209 breech plugs in stock. Got my gun delivered and opened it up, and there was one in there. Idk how it happened but I was pumped. The quick release breech plug is pretty cool.

View attachment 71184

Nice! I couldn't pass the deal up. Been wanting one of my own for years. When these went on clearance, wife said(pretty much) "Buy it, or shut up about buying one."

As little as I'll shoot it, I don't think I'll miss using the loose powder(if I can't find the correct primers) just wanted every advantage I could have.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

View attachment 71184

Mine goes bang with standand CCI 209 primers but magnums are preferred. Unfortunately all those ML type 209's are just too weak for Blackhorn.

Last edited:

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Mine goes bang with standand CCI 209 primers but magnums are preferred. Unfortunately all those ML type 209's are just too weak for Blackhorn.
As long as you don’t hunt in extremely cold weather, standard 209 primers will work fine with no issues.

They recommend the magnum basically to CTA, because the standard primers will potentially fail in extremely cold temperatures.

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
As long as you don’t hunt in extremely cold weather, standard 209 primers will work fine with no issues.

They recommend the magnum basically to CTA, because the standard primers will potentially fail in extremely cold temperatures.

That's what I'd read too but, didn't know. Been out of the MZL loop for a while. Picked up a box of pellets today. Will get to working on sighting in and grouping later this month.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That's what I'd read too but, didn't know. Been out of the MZL loop for a while. Picked up a box of pellets today. Will get to working on sighting in and grouping later this month.
There are ways to make the ML 209 primers work with Blackhorn, I’ve seen it done, but wouldn’t exactly recommend them… lol

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You don’t need to be a smith to make them work, but you might need a smith if you screw up… possibly a surgeon as well

Oh, I'm sure. I don't like to experiment with explosions that close to my face. Lol. I know I'm leaving the door wide open... And again. Hahaha.