Cva crossfire

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
I am looking at the cva crossifire guns ! I have been extremely happy with our cva .410 scout. Are there any down sides? I see they offer a stainless and a cerakoted gun. I really like the idea of the fire sticks. For those that have them can you offer advice/experience, this will be our first muzzle loader.

klim

Twelve Pointer
A buddy of mine has a (Traditions) Nitro Fire and I was thoroughly impressed on how easy it was to (firesticks) load/unload, literally little to no smoke-accuracy was on point too. I could shoot a clover-leaf group at 100 yards with it. He's looking to buy his wife a Crossfire when they become more readily available. If I wasn't already shooting a smokeless muzzleloader, I'd definitely be looking into buying the Nitro Fire or the Crossfire.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The only issue may be the continued availability of the fire sticks

During the pandemic it was hit or miss availability with some of the fire sticks

klim

Twelve Pointer
The only issue may be the continued availability of the fire sticks

During the pandemic it was hit or miss availability with some of the fire sticks
This is true. My buddy had bought a bunch of them when he first bought his muzzleloader but, during the pandemic he said they were very hard to come by as he would try to pick up a couple of packs along the way just to keep his supply up.

Reactions: CRC

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
For those shooting the cva What grain firestick and muzzle loader bullet do y’all like. Crossfire is on the way to my ffl’s place !

bb1970

Six Pointer
Just ordered me the Cva crossfire. From Gunbroker it Came as a package deal stainless with black stock . Leupold 3x9x40 scope , Leupold rings pack of the fire sticks and 100 209 primers. $733 .I’ll be shooting the 100 gr fire sticks with the barns 250 gr mz expanders.

Last edited:

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I'm shooting harvester scorpion 300 grain out of my nitro fire. I'm using the 120 grain stick (Maroon ones). I've killed one deer with this setup...... 98 lb button buck the harvester scorpion worked great with a nice exit hole.

The sticks are still hard to find. Cabelas had them in stock but limited me to one pack. But they ran out after a week. So I only shot it at 100 yards on the range before the season. I haven't checked them lately to see if they got them back in but I want to stock up. I want to.work up a 200 yard shot if it's possible. I think it is.

I like the lack of the cloud of smoke, easy to clean.... pretty happy so far just.want to.play with it some more on the range.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
If I didn't have the one's I have, and was gonna start M/L I'd definitely get one of those things. For all the ease of use, and cleaning.
Don't shoot it after cleaning it ? Just pull the charge out, and push out the projo. Light clean again and you're done.
Especially with the nitride models.

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
I'm shooting harvester scorpion 300 grain out of my nitro fire. I'm using the 120 grain stick (Maroon ones). I've killed one deer with this setup...... 98 lb button buck the harvester scorpion worked great with a nice exit hole.

The sticks are still hard to find. Cabelas had them in stock but limited me to one pack. But they ran out after a week. So I only shot it at 100 yards on the range before the season. I haven't checked them lately to see if they got them back in but I want to stock up. I want to.work up a 200 yard shot if it's possible. I think it is.

I like the lack of the cloud of smoke, easy to clean.... pretty happy so far just.want to.play with it some more on the range.
The sticks have not been a problem for me to find. I figured they would be hard to find. I called a certain gun store that’s an hour and twenty from my house. They had them about 9$ over priced. Go figure 2 stores close to me had them a lot cheaper. I even got the primers locally (cheddite 209). I am gonna be in Raliegh area next week, so I plan to bullet shop.

bb1970

Six Pointer

Bought a bundle on Gunbroker also 10 packs of 10 so 100 shots for $159. They were the 100.gr sticks. My brother and I split the cost so both got 50 shots for under $100.

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
I doubt the sticks go away anytime soon. I really think being able to take the stick out after not forcing the gun is an extremely convenient feature. If anything I see other companies making their own sticks when the patent runs out.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Midway has 80 gr, 100 gr, and 120 gr in stock.

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
Shot the cva crossfire with federal trophy copper 270 grain bullets. I am very impressed! Excellent groups at 100 yards, no smoke, little recoil and consistent! Easy to clean as well! Good purchase.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
Only a matter of time before they stop making the "firesticks" and come up with something non-compatable for their new "Crossfire II". We've all seen this played out before.

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
I am sure, just like they made everyone hand in the 30-06s for creedmore’s. If anything I see other vendors making the actual stick.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Curious as to why these have to ship to an FFL. It's still loaded from the muzzle.

They don't load from the muzzle.

They load from the breech.

Hence they do not meet the definition found in Title 18 Chapter 44 921 (16)

(C)
any muzzle loading rifle, muzzle loading shotgun, or muzzle loading pistol, which is designed to use black powder, or a black powder substitute, and which cannot use fixed ammunition. For purposes of this subparagraph, the term “antique firearm” shall not include any weapon which incorporates a firearm frame or receiver, any firearm which is converted into a muzzle loading weapon, or any muzzle loading weapon which can be readily converted to fire fixed ammunition by replacing the barrel, bolt, breechblock, or any combination thereof.

Federal law has always been very clear for a firearm to be a muzzle loader or muzzle loading BOTH the propellant and projectile(s) must be loaded from the muzzle end.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They don't load from the muzzle.

They load from the breech.

Hence they do not meet the definition found in Title 18 Chapter 44 921 (16)
The bullet loads from the muzzle and stops on a "shelf". That's a muzzle loader.

How to unload:
Using a range rod (longer than the length of the barrel) with the jag removed (to allow passage through the Bullet Seating Ring), push the bullet out of the barrel from breech to muzzle. (Note that some rods may have too large an outside diameter to pass through the Bullet Seating Ring, so be sure to obtain a range/cleaning rod with an outside diameter small enough to pass through the Bullet Seating Ring. Any centerfire rifle cleaning rod should work for this purpose.)

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
No.

Federal law and regulation has always been very clear for a firearm to be a muzzle loader or muzzle loading under federal criminal law BOTH the propellant and projectile(s) must be loaded from the muzzle end.

Congress would have to make a law change to exempt these guns from an FFL transfer and 4473.

That ain't gonna happen anytime soon if ever.

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
No.

Federal law and regulation has always been very clear for a firearm to be a muzzle loader or muzzle loading under federal criminal law BOTH the propellant and projectile(s) must be loaded from the muzzle end.

Congress would have to make a law change to exempt these guns from an FFL transfer and 4473.

That ain't gonna happen anytime soon if ever.
Now that answers my question. ;)

Reactions: CRC

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Prior to 1999 any muzzle loading firearm that took a 209 or other centerfire primer also required an FFL and 4473 to transfer.

Congress exempted them due to lobbying by gun makers with the clear understanding muzzle loading meant projectile and propellant loaded from the muzzle end

No breech loading