CVA Accura MR?

MOA Roller

Button Buck
I'm in the market for a new muzzleloader and am eye-balling the CVA Accura MR. Anyone got experience with this rifle, or an Accura in general?

Jrbrandt25

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I upgraded from the Optima and it's a world of difference, part quality was noticeable and barrel performance was obvious. Great gun I think. I use the blackhorn and has impressed me all around. Good luck

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
I have the CVA Accura V2. From CVA's website, it looks like the MR is just a shorter barrel version the V2. I've been very happy with my purchase. It was recommended to me by Carlos at Ed's gun shop in Vass. He also recommended that I use Blackhorn 209 powder, 250 gr. Barnes TEZ bullets, and Fiocchi 209 primers.

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
One of the best factory blackhorn 209 shooting rifles you can get.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Love mine, balances well and it’s shorter barrel makes it handy in the woods. Knocks any Optima out of the water and I loved my thumb hole stocked one I had before it.

MOA Roller

Button Buck
Love mine, balances well and it’s shorter barrel makes it handy in the woods. Knocks any Optima out of the water and I loved my thumb hole stocked one I had before it.
Thanks! are you using Blackhorn 209 too? I'm debating between the MR and PR, which is a 3" barrel difference. I don't think that'll translate to too much performance difference so am definitely leaning toward the MR.

cwcook68

Eight Pointer
I really like my Accura V2 in 45 cal. I shoot 100 grains of Blackhorn and 195 grain Barnes Expander MZ and useally don’t have to track far76AB8452-0C43-4448-8086-FEBFDD39F467.jpeg

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Thanks! are you using Blackhorn 209 too? I'm debating between the MR and PR, which is a 3" barrel difference. I don't think that'll translate to too much performance difference so am definitely leaning toward the MR.
I do shoot 209, I just load by volume and haven’t played around with dialing in a load as mine shoots 100 grains and a 260 grain Harvester PT Gold bullet and crushed rib sabot just fine. I got mine from Carlos down at Ed’s in Vass and he drilled out my breach plug for me, otherwise you need the plug designed for 209 and shoot a hot primer. I never ran into an issue shooting my regular CCI 209 shotgun primers until last year (I started to having to really clean the plug good after each shot or I’d get hang fires or no ignition at all, switching to the magnum primers now).

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have the CVA Accura V2. From CVA's website, it looks like the MR is just a shorter barrel version the V2. I've been very happy with my purchase. It was recommended to me by Carlos at Ed's gun shop in Vass. He also recommended that I use Blackhorn 209 powder, 250 gr. Barnes TEZ bullets, and Fiocchi 209 primers.

Carlos is still there?? I bought a couple guns from him down there probably 20 years ago!!

MOA Roller

Button Buck
I do shoot 209, I just load by volume and haven’t played around with dialing in a load as mine shoots 100 grains and a 260 grain Harvester PT Gold bullet and crushed rib sabot just fine. I got mine from Carlos down at Ed’s in Vass and he drilled out my breach plug for me, otherwise you need the plug designed for 209 and shoot a hot primer. I never ran into an issue shooting my regular CCI 209 shotgun primers until last year (I started to having to really clean the plug good after each shot or I’d get hang fires or no ignition at all, switching to the magnum primers now).

Got it. I was under the impression the rifle ships with both plugs

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Kind of off topic but I moved away so haven't been to Ed's in a long time . Like 20 years. But I clearly remember buying a used 243 Howa there about 20 years ago, had a headspace or similar problem. Carlos took it back, no quibble. Great guy to do business with. Wish I still lived closer to shop there more often.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
I’ve had one since the second year they came out I think. When they switched from their defective Cerakote finish to nitride. I sighted it in 2 years ago after arriving in PA. Has a quick throw on Leupold 4x M8 with upgrades lenses.

It was the day before deer season and range was packed. I skipped the 100 yard lines and just setup at 200 lane which had only 1 other person IIRC. No clue where it would hit at 180 (200 wasn’t quite 200 then). I shoot pellets for ease and XTPs. Added a pellet out of curiosity so 3 pellets and it grouped real nice a few inches low. I had initially verified zero by tossing out a box instantly getting hated jealous stares from everyone waiting at the 100 yd lanes.

Easiest gun to get accuracy out of with my sample and light/handy as can be. I’m really picky on triggers. ARs run Hyperfire 24 3gun triggers from back when they cost 300+ and pull is 1.5# single stage. Even the CZ Scout I adjusted down to low ounces. The MR was light and crisp from out of the box.

The only complaint and I still haven’t addressed is the hammer doesn’t lock back consistently. I’ve noticed if I slightly loosen the buttstock it’s not an issue. I’m guessing it’s a clearance underneath issue. It is just a nuisance that holds fine once it “clicks”. I only hunted with it a handful of times and killed a few deer that first year. Then sighted in for PA but never had a chance to get out that year. Used the ‘53 model 70 308 last year. Forgot about the hammer again until the new bear inline season. Carried inline one day and when snapping a cap on a clean bore I noticed the hammer again.

I did notice there is a tight spot when seating. I’ve read something about this years ago and how it may be intentional but don’t remember details.

Crappie man

Six Pointer
Have had the MR for a couple of years. Fine rifle and very accurate. Got mine from Ed's and Carlos drilled the factory plug for BH for it also. 250 Gr TEZ with CCI 209M . Went with shorter barrel since I don't have fields on my lease.

MOA Roller

Button Buck
I’ve had one since the second year they came out I think. When they switched from their defective Cerakote finish to nitride. I sighted it in 2 years ago after arriving in PA. Has a quick throw on Leupold 4x M8 with upgrades lenses.

It was the day before deer season and range was packed. I skipped the 100 yard lines and just setup at 200 lane which had only 1 other person IIRC. No clue where it would hit at 180 (200 wasn’t quite 200 then). I shoot pellets for ease and XTPs. Added a pellet out of curiosity so 3 pellets and it grouped real nice a few inches low. I had initially verified zero by tossing out a box instantly getting hated jealous stares from everyone waiting at the 100 yd lanes.

Easiest gun to get accuracy out of with my sample and light/handy as can be. I’m really picky on triggers. ARs run Hyperfire 24 3gun triggers from back when they cost 300+ and pull is 1.5# single stage. Even the CZ Scout I adjusted down to low ounces. The MR was light and crisp from out of the box.

The only complaint and I still haven’t addressed is the hammer doesn’t lock back consistently. I’ve noticed if I slightly loosen the buttstock it’s not an issue. I’m guessing it’s a clearance underneath issue. It is just a nuisance that holds fine once it “clicks”. I only hunted with it a handful of times and killed a few deer that first year. Then sighted in for PA but never had a chance to get out that year. Used the ‘53 model 70 308 last year. Forgot about the hammer again until the new bear inline season. Carried inline one day and when snapping a cap on a clean bore I noticed the hammer again.

I did notice there is a tight spot when seating. I’ve read something about this years ago and how it may be intentional but don’t remember details.

Thanks! I run Hiperfire 24E's as well, and every now and then pull out a Model 70 .270 featherweight so it sounds like the MR will fit in just right.