Cutting trees near a stream

MtnMan

Ten Pointer
You having timber cut?
Not having timber cut . There’s an old small pond about 30 ft from the stream . I want to clean it up and plant grass and put a small pier in for the kids in the family to fish in . Friend of mine has an excavator and he owes me some work so he’s gonna clean it out and clean up around it .

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Not having timber cut . There’s an old small pond about 30 ft from the stream . I want to clean it up and plant grass and put a small pier in for the kids in the family to fish in . Friend of mine has an excavator and he owes me some work so he’s gonna clean it out and clean up around it .

👍 As 2 members said, check with a local forester. You may be good to clear the area, but I would err on the side of caution.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Think would talk with NRCS. A lot of time rules are different logging and not disturbing the stumps vs clearing trees and stumps. Here you need permit to clear anything removing stumps and sometime can be a little pita.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
NRCS would only be involved if the owner get USDA benefits. Even then, he would have to clear up enough to make agricultural production practical and possible…and that is only a problem if it’s on a wetland.

waitup

Four Pointer
The department of water quality used to do free determinations to tell you if a stream actually had a buffer. I can't find it on their site now though.

Game On

Four Pointer
I would suggest starting with your local Soil and Water Conservation District. They can likely offer guidance and at the very least the appropriate contact information to keep you in the good graces of the regulators!!

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
NCDEQ helped me with that info. I needed proof to fight the HOA. They came out and did a free survey and gave me the info I needed.

Cam

Four Pointer
If it was on my own land id do it how i wanted to and not run get anyone else involved. If you run asking questions then dont complain about the answers you get.