Cutting off a stock

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've got one I'd like to have cut off to suit youth hunters, but I don't want a hack job. Which means I'd rather not do it myself.

Is there anyone around that does this? I'm assuming most gunsmiths don't really deal with cutting off stocks do they? Every one I've talked to seems slammed with other work.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've been looking off and on for several years. T/C Contender G1 carbine. Anyone know where I can get one? I'd love to have one that was 12-12.5" LOP

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
hausofarms.com should have a stock in the 12.5 lop range for the contender. If not you really need to put it in a miter jig on the table saw and cut it down the use a limbsaver grind to fit pad on it.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
I'm assuming most gunsmiths don't really deal with cutting off stocks do they?

yes, we do it all the time, when fitting a recoil pad to a gun with just a buttplate, like I did for my daughter last year, installing a Pachmayr Decelerator pad on a shotgun.

it helps to have a band or table saw AND disc or belt sander (freestanding, NOT handheld)
I much prefer band saw and belt sander for this job

Personally, I'd ask T/C for a youth stock first. I've learned if an email is returned saying "we don't have them" it is wise to call and ask for their Parts Dept and/or Technicians.

There are few T/C specific forums you could ask if needed too.

Google "T/C owners forum" and see what pops up.

Last edited:

fowlhntr

Six Pointer
Double H Gunsmithing in Blanch. He's done numerous things for me over the years and I've always been satisfied.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just a follow up on this: I ended up ordering a new stock from Hausofarms. The original stock even on a very small carbine was standard length. I have looked off and on for a youth stock and was unable to find one, but hausofarms did have them in a 13” LOP. In addition, the thumbholes have a shorter wrist to trigger distance , so I went with that. I went ahead and got a new forend to match, which is considerably larger than the original (good). The only downside is it isn’t exactly color matched to the stock. It made a good youth rifle even better for young shooters.

30E7E292-9103-426B-AEB8-A1FB3090FD4F.jpeg0DD3B3AE-2C8E-4A8E-A89C-4E01A42118E4.jpeg

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Left handed or reversed photo??

Lefty. 3 boys. The oldest is right handed and has already killed 3 deer with that rifle, but the younger two are both left eye dominant and thus are learning left handed.

I like the Contender/Encore platform for being ambidextrous, but the wider grip design makes it tough for little hands to reach the trigger. The thumbhole puts their finger considerably closer to the trigger, and so I just went ahead with the LH thumbhole. The oldest will have to graduate to something different.