Cutover

JFH3006

Ten Pointer
What is your thoughts on hunting a very new cutover? Should finish in couple of days. Clear cut. Next to other woods and a field. Will turkeys use?
Also, have a cutover about 7 years old and have seen turkeys in when it was younger. 4 wheeler paths in same. Will turkeys use paths now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

georgeeebuck

Ten Pointer
I would thank they would use it as soon as everything is moved out, people and equipment are gone. Toms like to be seen and show off for the hens. Gives them a nice place to strut and show off. Also a good place to dust and scratch for bugs. If there is roosting trees on the edge I would bet they would use it, if there are turkey in the area. And everyone knows that turkey like an open area if it's raining . As far as a 7 year old clear cut ,that sounds like a good nesting area to me, if water is near buy . And yes they may use the trails, again maybe more so in the rain. Look for tracks in any mud holes , dustin holes , and wing drag marks along with dropings in trails. Only one way to know for sure ,scout it out. If it were me I would keep the 4 wheeler out of both areas. Good Luck...!!

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Good lord yes hunt it !!
I killed 2 stud gobblers, on back to back years in '16 and '17 on a small piece that was clearcut. Gobblers love to be seen...and they left one ridge un-cut that went down to a nice point along a creek where toms loved to roost. I miss that place.....

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
A new cutover will also be a great spot for nesting over the next couple of years too. Great place to look for dust bowls as well. There will be quite a few grasshoppers using it and turkeys love a nice fat, juicy hopper. Enjoy it while you've got it.

Jim

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
The only thing wrong with cutovers...the hunting never lasts:(

Them birds will hammer it, until they don’t. Then you’re through. At least with deer you can still run em out once it gets thick;)

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
The only thing wrong with cutovers...the hunting never lasts:(

Them birds will hammer it, until they don’t. Then you’re through. At least with deer you can still run em out once it gets thick;)

Yeah, there comes a day...
Sad but true.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
What is your thoughts on hunting a very new cutover? Should finish in couple of days. Clear cut. Next to other woods and a field. Will turkeys use?
Also, have a cutover about 7 years old and have seen turkeys in when it was younger. 4 wheeler paths in same. Will turkeys use paths now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
new one will be great.
hunting paths on a seven yr old cutover would be a last resort for me.

Last edited: