Cussin in the General Forum

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
definitely agree.

i get that using unsavory language is a bad habit (that can be broken if you want) but to type them into a post more than 4 words long makes it a conscious act of ignorance. a long time ago, before al gore invented the internet, using written communication actually made one appear more mannered not less.

If I pointed out the level of ignorance I see in posts on the internet (most with no cuss words), it would consume me. I, instead, realize that it’s just part of the landscape we all live in.

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
and all yall persicuted us poor mennonites back in the 16th century and made us flee to the new world...thank you for the direction...and we still dont believe a infant can be saved by baptism..they must be old enough to decide for themselves....😁😁😁😁
They ran my Calvinist ancestors to the New World too...

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Dagummit, your right.....Im going to do better in my dang future post! Heck, its easier than I thought!

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A lot of y'all are justifying use of foul language by saying "kids hear a lot worse at school, on social media, etc.". Well, here is the deal, whether you like it or not. YOU are an example to some young person that looks up to you. You may not even realize it. You can be a good example or a bad example. Yeah, they may be hearing a lot of unsavory language in other places, and my even use it themselves at times, but, they WILL eventually follow the example of those they look up to in the end. So, YOU have a responsibility, like it or not.
As an adult, you should have enough discernment to know when such language is acceptable and when it is not. Kids don't have that discernment, and if you don't use it, they will grow up thinking it is always acceptable.

Lots of folks do NOT like hearing, or being around foul language. Would you get in a buddy's truck, who does not smoke, and light a cigarette and blow smoke in his face? Using foul language around folks who don't appreciate it is essentially doing the same. Respect and consideration for others is what its about.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Cursing is the act of a feeble mind trying to Express itself forcefully...beaver dam it!!!

maybe not feeble, more like lacking decorum, and not able to find decent wording to use...some think it's manly to swear, others see it as a lack of self control or lack of respect (for others and self).
It is a two sided sword of sorts, especially in these times of the demoralization of our society.

Vannoyboy

Eight Pointer
I guess this thread reinforces the old saying, "you can't fix ignorance you can only prop it up with a 2x4". If some of these people had their mouths washed out with soap maybe they wouldn't be so disrespectful to decent people. JMO

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If big daddy govt were to offer you a train ride to virus protection camps, I swear some of you would fight to be first in line. When are you going to learn that the government *never* has your best interests at heart?

I learned it a long time ago.

I learned my abc’s a long time ago, too. I’m not worried people are going to up and switch to hieroglyphIcs, though.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
Yea that’s what this world need is more censorship. The same freedom of speech that allows one to cuss is the same right that allows one to profess Jesus Christ! You can’t have one with out the other.
70b9c38bd57645f3536cbb6d69f3d4b0.jpg

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
This forum is an oligarchy. Not a republic. And the 1st amendment only applies to the government.

Yes I’m well aware of that I’m speaking in general of what this world doesn’t need!
But hey let’s hide all that from our kids so when you go out into the world they are blindsided with reality. The world is a broken place with no safe space.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Yes I’m well aware of that I’m speaking in general of what this world doesn’t need!
But hey let’s hide all that from our kids so when you go out into the world they are blindsided with reality. The world is a broken place with no safe space.

There are lines with everything. We can expose them to all kinds of things that will prepare them for the real world, but we don't. We could make em watch Saving Private Ryan or those old DMV videos like Blood on the Asphalt when they turn six. But we don't.

The bottom line is that children deserve a childhood. They deserve a time when they don't have to be adults and don't have to deal with the crap they will have to deal with for the rest of their lives. I'm ok with that. You can still cuss...just not here.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If anyone listens to the "music" or watch the video games they play they would probably learn new words and all kinds of deviant stuff...same stuff that is covered by the 1st Amendment..it's really sad. Yet prayer in school is banned, as is the pledge of allegiance. So trying to reason this will never work.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Also...this isn't anything new for this forum. From our inception we have tried to be a family friendly place. As for the C&R thread, that's for the adults. We can still have those too.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Does it change the point?

Well, I didn’t post what I did to get into an argument....or even a discussion with you about it.

But, since you asked....yes.

The word that most leave out, when they cite this famous quote, is “essential”.

I AM willing to sacrifice a little liberty to gain security. I’m NOT willing to sacrifice ESSENTIAL liberties.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
There are lines with everything. We can expose them to all kinds of things that will prepare them for the real world, but we don't. We could make em watch Saving Private Ryan or those old DMV videos like Blood on the Asphalt when they turn six. But we don't.

The bottom line is that children deserve a childhood. They deserve a time when they don't have to be adults and don't have to deal with the crap they will have to deal with for the rest of their lives. I'm ok with that. You can still cuss...just not here.

I agree with this sort of reasoning. To the point of my earlier comment/photo, is the lack of decorum others show in the areas they choose to discuss. It’s mostly a “Holier-Than-Thou” attitude, followed by lack of love for their neighbor and fellow man, and “sucks for them” while casting a wide net over a whole socioeconomic status or race or country or religion or whatever the subject might be.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I agree with this sort of reasoning. To the point of my earlier comment/photo, is the lack of decorum others show in the areas they choose to discuss. It’s mostly a “Holier-Than-Thou” attitude, followed by lack of love for their neighbor and fellow man, and “sucks for them” while casting a wide net over a whole socioeconomic status or race or country or religion or whatever the subject might be.

Ive been guilty of all of those things. Not necessarily proud of it either. But I do stand by some of my rants. :)

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
Well, I didn’t post what I did to get into an argument....or even a discussion with you about it.

But, since you asked....yes.

The word that most leave out, when they cite this famous quote, is “essential”.

I AM willing to sacrifice a little liberty to gain security. I’m NOT willing to sacrifice ESSENTIAL liberties.

Would you consider the 1st Amendment to be ESSENTIAL?

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns

A lot of people that homeschool do just that - try to hide their kids from reality.