Crow Tailgate

Dead Eye-NC

Eight Pointer
got the new FoxPro fired up this morn. Ended up with 25 or so. A hawk swooped in and got a few
713a309d6af453e13de4304e1027c231.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had a huge flock of crows in the beech trees this morning. Biggest I'd ever see, well over a hundred birds and they stayed several hours.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
That’s awesome.. never been able to shoot more than once or twice on a flock before they left

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
We went to war with them some years back. They would come in thick after the pecan trees. It was nothing to shoot 20 in a setup. Thankfully they are not in as high numbers as they used to be.

Crows are intelligent and work together as a group. When you see groups of 2-3 those are usually a reconnaissance group posting sentries. Watch one come in and then you will see a second land nearby. Those two will direct the third one that it's safe to post up further down. This leap frogging is important to their movement. Then small groups will come overhead of the sentries and either land in the cover or flyby and become sentries.

On a typical hunt we start soft with the hail call and then fire up the frenzy. When the sentries come we let the first few land. Once there is a half dozen or so around we unload. We leave them lay and remain in place. Crows will come back in looking for their comrades. The call keeps going and when the waves let up we turn the call off and will play with a downed crow call. We usually shoot the first that approach and then move to a different position. By this time they have wised on and it can be tough to call them in so we wait with no calling. Might pop one or two. After a half hour to an hour we will fire up the frenzy again. Usually after 2 hours we move to a different area.

JoeR

Eight Pointer
On a typical hunt we start soft with the hail call and then fire up the frenzy. When the sentries come we let the first few land. Once there is a half dozen or so around we unload. We leave them lay and remain in place. Crows will come back in looking for their comrades. The call keeps going and when the waves let up we turn the call off and will play with a downed crow call. We usually shoot the first that approach and then move to a different position. By this time they have wised on and it can be tough to call them in so we wait with no calling. Might pop one or two. After a half hour to an hour we will fire up the frenzy again. Usually after 2 hours we move to a different area.

This is great info. Thanks!
Joe

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
What does crow taste like? Had almost everything else but never crow

Farm crows are a real dark meat and just a little gamey. I would say it’s closer to wild duck than it is chicken, but without the grease that makes duck so good. They do real well in a pot pie or a slow cooked soup like chicken noodle. Again, not a lot of fat to work with for a stand alone protein. I can’t speak on behalf of the city birds.

nettereo16

Six Pointer
Nice going! Do you have to use a plug in NC for crows? Can't tell if they are considered "migratory game birds". No plug required in VA.

Dead Eye-NC

Eight Pointer
Nice going! Do you have to use a plug in NC for crows? Can't tell if they are considered "migratory game birds". No plug required in VA.

I think migratory but hard to get more than 3 shots off unless u want to burn shells at out of range birds. I think I had 3 dbls. Huge flocks seem to come in high real high and bust u. 2-3 will come in low and almost kamikaze presenting easy shots if u r concealed well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

southerngunbelle

Six Pointer
Farm crows are a real dark meat and just a little gamey. I would say it’s closer to wild duck than it is chicken, but without the grease that makes duck so good. They do real well in a pot pie or a slow cooked soup like chicken noodle. Again, not a lot of fat to work with for a stand alone protein. I can’t speak on behalf of the city birds.

Thanks! I can see how they’d be a little gamey, but that ain’t bad! Sometime I’ll have to try some, crow pot pie would be cool to cook.

adkarcher

Six Pointer
Do you always use a shotgun? Or (if your land is safe enough), do you try and pick off with a rimfire or something....Never hunted crows before.

Jdaddyrox

Spike
Saw a flock the other day that blacked out the sun. Never seen so many crows in my life.

Where was that? I know in Winston Salem they roost somewhere near Hanes Mall and there are thousands of them but no hunting near there.

Jdaddyrox

Spike
what fox-pro? been looking hard at the inferno, but would love to hear suggestions.

I bought the new ico tec because it was decently priced and has a long distance remote control as well as an optional visual decoy that is also remotely controlled with the same remote. I think I may have around $175 in it and another $40 in a fox pro shoulder bag off eBay that has about 8 or so pockets to put lots of other stuff in. I LOVE the thing. I’m sure you can’t go wrong with the fox pro either. I haven’t had a chance to coyote hunt yet but can’t wait to go.

Crappie_Hunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Anybody still have an old Johnny Stewart call with tapes??!! Me and Johnny Stewart killed many a crow in my teen years hahaha

Jdaddyrox

Spike
Do you always use a shotgun? Or (if your land is safe enough), do you try and pick off with a rimfire or something....Never hunted crows before.

Turkey loads are best in a 12 gauge and I’d love to have a Marlin Goose gun just for crow hunting.