Crossbows

TH7

Eight Pointer
I loved shooting compound bows but have made the sad decision to part ways with them after a shoulder surgery and issues with the other shoulder. My question is do you have fun shooting it? Do you shoot longer ranges or free handed when practicing or just don't shoot very much? Just seems like the challenge and repetition factor isn't there. I have never shot one and I am excited to venture into them, I just wonder if it will get boring.
Also do you use a crank for yours? I guess the disadvantage of a crank would be a follow up shot? Any other advice for starting out? I see the Excalibur love in the other recent thread. I didnt want to barge in on that post. I am thinking ten point at this time, Still researching.

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Seems to me it would be more like using a rifle. You sight it in, shoot once in a while, check the sights before you go hunting, and run with it. Just as you clean your rifle after you shoot, wax string and cable after you shoot.

I know some guys play with bolt combinations, just like guys play with rifle loads.

Reactions: TH7

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
it would be more like using a rifle.

yeap,,,just less fun,,,

fine killing machine but I get no real enjoyment from just shooting them,,,plus it's not like I have to "train" to maintain proficientcy for what they are for,,,

@TH7 - get the crossbow for killing during season and get ya a light poundage longbow/recurve for shooting fun,,,shooting them is fun,,,it has worked for me when my shoulder acts up and I can't do the heavier bows,,,,(to wimpy to get surgery),,,

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
yeap,,,just less fun,,,

fine killing machine but I get no real enjoyment from just shooting them,,,plus it's not like I have to "train" to maintain proficientcy for what they are for,,,

@TH7 - get the crossbow for killing during season and get ya a light poundage longbow/recurve for shooting fun,,,shooting them is fun,,,it has worked for me when my shoulder acts up and I can't do the heavier bows,,,,(to wimpy to get surgery),,,
FWIW, I have a bad rotator cuff (or two). I got a Recurve.

One thing that I can do with it that the compound guys cannot is a kill when I am not at full draw.

And I've done it quite a few times. Once from the hip.

I will admit to waiting to draw until I think I can make a snap draw and shoot, and have passed up a few when the deer made me too soon, but a majority of the time, I can get it back and let loose in ample time.

Just got to do that whole zen/fung shui/be the arrow thing.....

I did break down and get a recurve crossbow last year, just to have - just in case....

PPosey

Twelve Pointer
I'd say my Excalibur is easier to use and shoot accurately than a compound but not as easy to use or shoot accurately as a rifle just like a compound is easier to use and shoot accurately than a recurve but not as easy as a crossbow

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Agree with what most of the others have said. My back is bad and getting worse and I can’t practice with my compound enough to be comfortable hunting with it. I was shooting 20+ arrows 3 or 4 times a week but now I can’t shoot more than 3 a day without being in pain, and after walking a long way in on public land and sitting in a stand for a few hours I don’t think I could get it back and hold steady. So I went to a crossbow. It definitely isn’t as enjoyable for me to shoot. After I got it sighted in, I check it every few weeks just to make sure nothing has changed and that’s it.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
My back and shoulder got to the point where I couldn’t draw my nephews 40lb compound.
Excels aren’t bad but I didn’t care for them, ten points are good as well. I’ve since shot a lot of crossbow brands before finally settling on a mxb400 and for its speed and reliability I’ve stuck with it. With my 450grn hunting arrows I’m still hitting 393ish FPS, it holds 1.5 moa at 100 yards, not that would shoot past 60 at game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TH7

Eight Pointer
I got a Tenpoint M1 Turbo. Got it from Terry's Archery. We shot it at his place. Was a breeze to get sighted in.

BBTHunter

Spike
I recently bought one, love it!! Easy to sight in and fun to shoot. Still enjoy my compound but look forward to hunting with the crossbow