Crossbow's ?

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
If you use a cocking rope you do not have to pull the full 150-175lbs. It is probably 1/3 of that.

You will be pulling 1/2 of that. For a 200 lb draw weight, you will be pulling 100 lbs. But of course you are pulling with two arms so each arm is pulling 50 lbs.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
I’ll tell y’all one thing that will help on any crossbow.... take the arrows, practice a bit with em while you wait to get a custom set and then throw all but one away and use it for a decock bolt. Getting really good arrows will drastically improve performance, and see what the bows really capable.
I used south shore archery and the owner asked what bow/broadhead I was using and tailored them to what I wanted. Best $65 bucks I’ve spent towards my bow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

spoonriver

Floyd the Barber
Took me a few shots but I got the scope dialed in this evening. These two shots were from 50 yards with a rest. The trigger on this thing is amazingly smooth. So far the only thing Im not a huge fan of is the small safety knob. The current models look to have a more user friendly knob. I might try the 100yard shot this weekend. Raven makes a nice looking case to compliment the crossbow. Its pricy but looks to be well made and should protect it during flights to the midwest and bumpy rides on the back 40. That, some lighted knocks and broad heads and I should be set for this season.

Attachments

• IMG_3451.JPG
    IMG_3451.JPG
    304.6 KB · Views: 20

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Took me a few shots but I got the scope dialed in this evening. These two shots were from 50 yards with a rest. The trigger on this thing is amazingly smooth. So far the only thing Im not a huge fan of is the small safety knob. The current models look to have a more user friendly knob. I might try the 100yard shot this weekend. Raven makes a nice looking case to compliment the crossbow. Its pricy but looks to be well made and should protect it during flights to the midwest and bumpy rides on the back 40. That, some lighted knocks and broad heads and I should be set for this season.
I bought the R9 as well and it just came in last Thursday. Getting the scope adjusted for all ranges took a little time. I had to set the power setting to 400 instead of the rated 390. The instructions explain how to determine that. I think you will have to use the Ravin lighted nocks, and the reviews I've read on them are not good. Other lighted nocks won't work because you'll activate the light when you snap the nock on the string. I had buyer's remorse for the first day because I wasn't used to a crank, but it's growing on me. I orderd the soft case. I won't be flying with mine so it'll do all I need.

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I’ll tell y’all one thing that will help on any crossbow.... take the arrows, practice a bit with em while you wait to get a custom set and then throw all but one away and use it for a decock bolt. Getting really good arrows will drastically improve performance, and see what the bows really capable.
I used south shore archery and the owner asked what bow/broadhead I was using and tailored them to what I wanted. Best $65 bucks I’ve spent towards my bow.

That's probably good advice in general, Travis, but I just bought a new Ravin R9 and the manual makes it pretty clear that using arrows other than Ravin will void the warranty. Actually, the more I have studied the Ravin warranty, the more buyer's remorse I'm feeling. It even states the scope is not covered under warranty ????? I would not have bought a Ravin if I had known that. It's my fault for not doing more homework. I was debating between the Ravin and the Mission Sub-1 and I probably made a bad choice.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
Well I do understand why non factory arrows will void the warranty but if you order from a shop like Jerry’s, if you have a problem it wasnt the arrow!! The Ravin warranty isn’t the best but I’m more concerned how long they’ll be around, ten point has already come out with a similar narrow draw set up this year so it stands to reason others will follow suit. And to be fair at Ravins price point they can’t afford a lot of competition.

spoonriver

Floyd the Barber
I bought the R9 as well and it just came in last Thursday. Getting the scope adjusted for all ranges took a little time. I had to set the power setting to 400 instead of the rated 390. The instructions explain how to determine that. I think you will have to use the Ravin lighted nocks, and the reviews I've read on them are not good. Other lighted nocks won't work because you'll activate the light when you snap the nock on the string. I had buyer's remorse for the first day because I wasn't used to a crank, but it's growing on me. I orderd the soft case. I won't be flying with mine so it'll do all I need.
I struggled some with the crank also at first, mainly taking it off, but Ive got it figured out now. At first I found myself trying to take the cranking handle off by pulling on the end part of the handle knob. All this did was bind it at the magnet even more where it connects causing it to not come off. Now I just pinch it off at the base of the crank using my thumb and the middle of my pointing finger/knuckle. Sounds weird but it works for me. The cadence to release the latch so you can crank it back took me several tries too. Ive probably shot it 20 times now and the whole procedure is a lot smoother. Not that they are complicated but they do take some getting use to. Ive never had any lighted knocks before but they are on my wish list before the season starts. Along with a case of some sorts and broad heads.

Shot some at 80 yards and was hitting high a few inches and to the right due to the breeze. I adjusted the scope power setting so that it was in between 400 and 425 and everything came together. When the wind died down it bulls eyed the target. It doesn't take much to move those little bolts.

Attachments

• IMG_3455.JPG
    IMG_3455.JPG
    278.6 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Parker does have a lifetime warranty but only for the original owner and there is a whole list of things that will void it.

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I may pick up one of these Wicked Ridge combo's. they seem to have great reviews.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Wicked-Ridge-Invader-X-ACUdraw-Package/2721410.uts?slotId=14

I'm torn between this and the Centerpoint Sniper 370. This is a good 2lbs lighter and shoots well. Haven't shot the Sniper, but reviews are solid. Shouldered both and the Wicked Ridge definitely has a better scope and feel to it. Plus the built in crank, which I really liked while shooting it. However, the price difference is a solid $250, which can get you a high end scope and crank for the Sniper. Seems like the best two sub $500 Xbows on the market.