Crepe Murder

spinnerbaitor48

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Have about 7 of those bastaads on my place...I despise every one of them....wife likes them, therefore; no cut down.....wish they would go the way of the bradfords

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
I guess I'm the odd man out here. I love crepe myrtles (to a degree). Although, I do have a stump about that size beside my driveway.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Donā€™t have much of an opinion on them, but a woodturner might make something neat from that ball.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
yeah I like crepe myrtles as well. We plant almost a thousand a year, used to be way more. I dont get the hate towards them. They are nice summer flowering trees and low maintenance (for the most part). The dwarf shrub ones are pretty cool too. They add a pop of color to shrub beds in the summer

BLOODBROTHER

Twelve Pointer
yeah I like crepe myrtles as well. We plant almost a thousand a year, used to be way more. I dont get the hate towards them. They are nice summer flowering trees and low maintenance (for the most part). The dwarf shrub ones are pretty cool too. They add a pop of color to shrub beds in the summer
ive had them at the 2 places ive liven in NC. Both times they would get powder mildew or attacked by bugs and look like crap. They need alot of maintenance every year and they try to spread like wildfire. On a good note, theyre really tough to kill. Cutting them down, makes them grow if that makes sense. Pretty, but too much trouble.

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I donā€™t understand the hate, either. Dr. Raulston at NCSU used to call them the ā€œ100 day bloomā€. You wonā€™t find many other species that can do that.

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I didnā€™t plant it - bought the place and it was already there. It was just on the verge of lifting the concrete and brick walk.. I also have a drain at edge of concrete for water that the blossoms, buds, and leaves are clogging up. It was time.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
ive had them at the 2 places ive liven in NC. Both times they would get powder mildew or attacked by bugs and look like crap. They need alot of maintenance every year and they try to spread like wildfire. On a good note, theyre really tough to kill. Cutting them down, makes them grow if that makes sense. Pretty, but too much trouble.
Some places that does happen, some not. There are plenty of varieties that are mildew resistant. As for any bug issues, I have used bioadvanced protect and feed from lowes to knock out any pest problems you have. I had scale all over 2 saucer magnolias when i moved into my house and it knocked it out without it coming back. Scale leads to the black soot you see on crepe myrtles and that product is an easy throw, water in then your r done solution

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I planted 2 15 years ago at the house.. I still have 2 so my experience does not mirror yours. every 3 years or so I cut them back some over the winter.. and that is all I have ever done to mine.

MtnMan

Ten Pointer
I cut a cluster down this morning right beside the driveway going around the house . They were six to seven inches in diameter . Been wanting to cut them for years . Sweetie finally said yes . Didnā€™t give her time to change her mind .