Votes: 10 12.0%
  • hunters

Votes: 66 79.5%
  • landowners/farmers

Votes: 7 8.4%

• Total voters

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
It was mentioned by the WRC commissioners when they were talking about the elk hunting bill proposed in the General Assembly.

I thought it was interesting they were upset about a lack of access to hunt elk and possibly paying a landowner a fee to hunt their property.

Which seemed to be why they refuse to support any elk hunt right now.
Looks to me more like that the reintroduction of Elk to NC failed, and if you don't think it failed it may have something to do with who's land the elk are on

Clark

Ten Pointer
So if elk are a public resource, open elk hunting only on public game lands. No private lands. Easy!
I'm on a roll - next problem...

wncdeerhunter

Old Mossy Horns
They gave you your own dang elk thread and you circumvent that to perpetuate your elk obsession on the open forum......at lease the elk thread comes with a known amount of ridiculousness

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
They gave you your own dang elk thread and you circumvent that to perpetuate your elk obsession on the open forum......at lease the elk thread comes with a known amount of ridiculousness
Not just elk but could apply to alligators or any other species

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
Is it different than a traditional hunting lease or permission on private land?

That might seem like a dumb question. Does the WRC put a system in place by which a gator tag holder can find land and pay trespass fees specifically for gator hunting?
The gator season was only for certain areas, mainly in Hyde County where the only option to actually have a chance to fill your tag was on private land.

So the only way you were going to fill your tag was pay to hunt on private land. No surprise that certain Hyde County landowners were the ones pushing for the season. Those landowners could charge whatever they wanted. Problem was, not everyone that drew a permit could/would pay the outfitters and landowners.

One alligator was tagged and we don’t have a alligator season anymore.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Trespass fee sounds more like I catch someone scouting my dad's property for elk without my permission, and I charge them a $$$$$ fee, rather than having them charged for trespassing. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️ Ummm, may have to remember this. Lol

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
The gator season was only for certain areas, mainly in Hyde County where the only option to actually have a chance to fill your tag was on private land.

So the only way you were going to fill your tag was pay to hunt on private land. No surprise that certain Hyde County landowners were the ones pushing for the season. Those landowners could charge whatever they wanted. Problem was, not everyone that drew a permit could/would pay the outfitters and landowners.

One alligator was tagged and we don’t have a alligator season anymore.
That would explain some of the WRCs concern and why no more gator hunting

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns

One alligator was tagged and we don’t have an alligator season anymore.
That’s one thing that’s interesting to me, that there weren’t more folks that wanted a gator or two taken out of their swamp. They aren’t exactly charismatic. I’d have thought every other Wilmington HOA would have had a contest when they opened the season.

Wanchese

Twelve Pointer
That’s one thing that’s interesting to me, that there weren’t more folks that wanted a gator or two taken out of their swamp. They aren’t exactly charismatic. I’d have thought every other Wilmington HOA would have had a contest when they opened the season.
20 permits total. 5 in Swan Quarter, 5 in Fairfield and 10 in Englehard and you had very specific areas in those zones that you could hunt.

Kinda like hogs, they are a nuisance until someone wants to shoot one, then all they see is $$$$$.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

Weren’t any tags in the Wilmington area

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
NCWRC studying NC elk herd.

Three research questions are being addressed:

1. Does the elk herd within the boundaries of the Great Smoky Mountains National Park (GSMNP) serve as the source for animals moving off the Park to other public and private lands in North Carolina?

2. Are elk movements off the GSMNP, survival, and recruitment sufficient to enable a sustainable hunt outside GSMNP boundaries in North Carolina?

3. Can a technique be developed that is practical, costeffective, and reliable for population estimation and longterm monitoring of the variables that determine the size of the elk population in North Carolina?

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Elk crossing signs being stolen in Haywood County

Last fall, the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation placed six, solar-power LED signs along U.S. 19 to warn drivers of elk in the area. The foundation said it appears someone stole two of them earlier this week. The co-chair of the Smoky Mountain Chapter of the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation said the signs were installed to protect the elk and drivers.

At $1,100 each, she'd like to get them back.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Probably find them at the local flea market for extraordinary prices to be paid by tourists. Either sell elk signs or meth, jobs are tough up there :)