Votes: 10 12.0%
  • hunters

Votes: 66 79.5%
  • landowners/farmers

Votes: 7 8.4%

• Total voters

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
Even if elk hunting was legal in North Carolina, according to the EBCI Natural Resources Office, “elk, like deer, are a protected animal under Cherokee code and cannot be hunted on tribal lands.”

Not to mention that if you can’t differentiate between an elk and whitetail when in bow range, you shouldn’t be allowed in the woods
But deer can be hunted on tribal lands by licensed tribal members. I'd be willing to bet, the offender is a tribal member. In the past, sloppy hunters have killed brown calves, brown goats, and even big brown dogs. I'm surprised this story has been this long coming.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Reactions: CRC

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Good stuff. Just wish there was more acreage. 2,000 ain’t much for elk. I’m all for some habitat management, though. It will benefit other species besides the elk.

Its a pretty narrow , steep game lands in the shape of a inverted u with lots of houses next to it.

But I believe they have since added a good bit to it.

Its more to mitigate elk depredation around Maggie Valley than for actual elk hunting.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
No hog hunting on any bear sanctuaries. There are 10’s of thousands of acres of sanctuary surrounding this elk habitat. Also, no killing hogs on public land outside of bear kill season. I can catch hogs on these thousands of acres of public land all winter long but I have to turn them all back loose from January 2nd to April 1st.

These rules only apply to dog hunters. Still hunters can harvest hogs anytime another season is open. But the still hunters don’t kill enough to make a dent in the population in the mountains.

Well you said in anther post

I don’t care nothing about killing anything.

So I’m confused
Ya gonna kill hogs or just run them with pups?

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I was referring to bears. Hogs are worthless.
No hog hunting on any bear sanctuaries. There are 10’s of thousands of acres of sanctuary surrounding this elk habitat. Also, no killing hogs on public land outside of bear kill season. I can catch hogs on these thousands of acres of public land all winter long but I have to turn them all back loose from January 2nd to April 1st.

These rules only apply to dog hunters. Still hunters can harvest hogs anytime another season is open. But the still hunters don’t kill enough to make a dent in the population in the mountains.

If ya want to kill a bunch of hogs, don’t limit your methods 👍

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Frustrating because thanks to Nc wildlife, for every hog I catch, I have to turn 5 more loose because it’s only “training” season and not kill season.

That’s because of methods

Because for feral hogs there’s no closed season on private land, there’s no bag limit, and you can hunt them at night with lights - not sure what more you could ask for

But yeah I know your railing because you can’t hunt them on public land with dogs at your convenience

Such is life

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I was of the thinking dogs could be used for hogs off a sanctuary anytime small game seasons are open?

Guess not

Brindlehillbilly

Button Buck
I was of the thinking dogs could be used for hogs off a sanctuary anytime small game seasons are open?

Guess not
Nope. That’s only still hunters. If it isn’t bear kill season, we have to let them go. We can run them and catch them all day long. But have to let them go.

Every other southern state that I’m aware of, it is like you stated.

Reactions: CRC

CRC

Old Mossy Horns

Video on elk restoration

click on 'A Homecoming'

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
From 25 January – 7 February 2022 we completed an aerial survey to estimate the elk population. Using a basic mark-recapture design, we estimated the elk population at 1,304 individuals with a lower confidence interval of (95%) of 1,141 and an upper confidence interval (95%) of 1,540.

Pennsylvania elk population estimate 2022

I wonder if NC would ever reach 1000 elk? I hope not.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Bill would authorize elk hunting in NC (news article):