Crazy Fox Squirrel Hunt

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Went On my 2nd Fox squirrel trip of the year this am. On the way in I had a big Gray/silver one run across the path in front of me . He went maybe 75 yards and went up a tree. The woods were thick there and I lost sight of it momentarily so when I go there it was either hiding or gone. I sat 30 yards away for 30mins and no squirrel.
I then made a slow walk through these woods and sat in 3 or 4 places for 20 mins or so. Nothing! I made one last move and after 15 mins of sitting I heard something in the tree behind me. I turned around and saw a big saddleback one and shot. He had to of been in that tree when I got there so after 15 mins he felt comfortable and went back to feeding. Anyway the squirrel moved some more so I shot again. What? It didnt fall! I know I hit it good. I then walked under it. Dead but stuck in a small fork!
Never had a Fox squirrel hang up. Greys but never a fox . I got my wife to bring my bow and I couldn't knock it out with Flu Flu arrows. I them put on my bowfishing rig and the fish arrow intending to shoot it over the limb and and pull it back and shake the limb. The line wasn't long enough!! I finally decided to shoot at the limb with # 4's and after many many shots I had the limb bend down and the squirrel fell out.
I had to go meet my wife to get bow I had to then go buy more shells and at the end of the hunt I had over 7 miles walked on my fitbit!!!
The squirrel weighed 2 and 1/2 lbs and it is the hardest one I have ever got.
GOPR1706 North Carolinafox squirrel.jpg
GOPR1705.jpg

Last edited:

Jay/NC

Eight Pointer
My son & I went midday on Saturday. He got one (his second ever) & I couldn’t catch up with a black one w/ a white face. Fun hunt!
da03608765cff062959ecf041b531dd3.jpg

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
This one trip taught me 1 lesson. I am going to take a throw bag and line and keep it in the car/truck when I go squirrel hunting. I sell Arborist Supplies in my store and that is the first thing I am going to do is to buy me one tomorrow morning.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Took my son out in PA after seeing them during Archery. None cooperated despite being an hour before dark on the first sunny day all week.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
We don’t have the saddled fox squirrels though. I saw those on a hunting trip to Albany, GA 4-5 years ago and have wanted to chase them since then. I’m a bit nuts, that squirrel is more impressive than a 150” WT in NC. I’ve chased bushy tails since I could walk so maybe that’s why. Great squirrel and perseverance. Some put less effort into recovering big game.

I’ve a neck-head gator mount waiting for me to finally kill a saddled fox squirrel and make a habitat mount. If you ever want to be a Squirrel Guide let me know. I’m about ready to pay a GA guide to skip deer and chase squirrels😁

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
We don’t have the saddled fox squirrels though. I saw those on a hunting trip to Albany, GA 4-5 years ago and have wanted to chase them since then. I’m a bit nuts, that squirrel is more impressive than a 150” WT in NC. I’ve chased bushy tails since I could walk so maybe that’s why. Great squirrel and perseverance. Some put less effort into recovering big game.

I’ve a neck-head gator mount waiting for me to finally kill a saddled fox squirrel and make a habitat mount. If you ever want to be a Squirrel Guide let me know. I’m about ready to pay a GA guide to skip deer and chase squirrels😁

I hope you're feeling much better. Are you sure you're not running a fever ???
Lol

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Nope, squirrels are like still hunting 6-8 bucks a day. The Saddled Fox squirrels evaded me once I found out about them. Now in PA the fox squirrels here are about like a grey. I never called them different as a kid. Just a red undercoat maybe. Nothing like the “Cat” squirrels down there and the one posted here is a biggun even for those.