Crazy couple days

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I'm fairly sure one of my hounds got lucky 11/13. Allie is her name. She is my best (IMO). She has a good nose and is a very important part of our pack. She will even strike from the truck. Well, we were running at the N. Dismal there was a lot of water but didn't think it was that awful. While the pack was rolling I looked at the tablet and saw her drop back. I looked because I didn't hear her. I could tell see was spinning at least the direction of the collar was changing but see was not moving. Instantly, I thought she was in trouble. I knew if she was drowning I would never make it. I just hoped. I had to keep up with the pack, as my buddy was keeping up with 5 that went out on deer on the other side of the block. We were the only 2 hunting. The pack I was with crossed into a block I thought was safe enough for me to go back and check on Allie. I raced back to her with a shy of relief she had made it about 50 yards to the canal/ditch at the road. I didn't see her but I called. Finally, I heard her hit the water. When see hit the road she staggered and was breathing hard. I grabbed her up and checked her for snake bites. First thought was rattlesnake bite. No swelling, no blood. Found some raw places on her inner thigh and belly. I put her in the box and raced to catch back up to the pack. When I did I looked her over several more times. Nothing! Her breathing was getting better though. Within the next 30 mins she was biting at the dog box and water bucket, wanting out. About an hour later I recast her with the pack and all was good. I think either her collar or back legs got caught in the bushes while crossing a water filled ditch. I have seen one of mine drown on a flooded creek bottom before when the back legs got tangled in greenbriars. It happens quick. The pack ran good. They did not want to swim the canals though. Almost like they saw a gator or shark swimming in them. Now, this was with hounds that I have seen swim the canals many a time to cast. Talked to a couple other hunters that day. All told me don't feel alone. Something was up and know one knows why. Well, after around lunch, there was no running. Several other groups hunting were having the same problem. Them we had a hound get hung up in the middle of a block. Well, my kennel partner went in after him, as he had a pair of hip boots. Yelp, the waders are going back in the truck. When leaving just before dark, I look up and see the rocket and wander what the heck is that. Oh, well. Then 11/13 I hunted at home with just 4 dogs. Waited for every for a jump or even a bark. One of the four in a true trail dog. Not even a peep from her, Princess. Finally, she trails almost to the hard top they jump and in less than 5 minutes, I'm having to stop them to keep them off the creek that is swollen way past the banks. I don't want a repeat, today. One of the guys, saw a deer. We cast in that direction, they hit it and they ran that on across the same place. That place just happens to be next to the landowner's daughter's house, so not shooting there. Just if your wandering. I take them to recast in an area they haven't worked. I did something I normally don't do, I walked them in. I let them hunt out a hundred yards or so and called them to where I wanted them to hunt. I kept doing this until got them into a totally new area. I saw them get excited. I was certain they were going deeper in I started back to the truck. Half way back, maybe 400 yards to go. I hear them fire up. I run to the truck. They turn and run straight off the property. Another five minute chase and we had to break them off. It was almost 1:00 and I was done. Back to the kennels. We cleaned, watered and feed calling it a day. Ready to try again next week. šŸ˜

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
I had one get hung in vines just like you are talking about. A guy actually called on the radio to tell me what was going on. Needless to say I get there and jump in the bottom of the canal to save me dog. I still wonder what the guys watching would have done if I had not been coming at a high rate of speed. They definitely we're not making an effort to get to my dog. But it makes one wonder how many of the dogs we lost years ago were loss to such strange situations. Heard a guy say he lost one that got hung on a "bush hook". Amazingly the hook was not in the dogs skin but simply slipped under the collar.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Dogs can get in some of the damndest situations. Collars are a liability but also a Godsend. Too loose and they are a noose waiting to tighten when a snag gets under them or keeps them anchored or they loose the collar completely. Too tight and the dog runs out of air.

silvertip

Six Pointer
We were fishing on the river bank many moons ago, and kept smelling something dead finally seen what it was a coonhound had slipped on a leaning tree out over the river and was hanging in a small fork of tree. This was before tracking collars I bet whoever's dog it was still wonder what happened to it, too far out on the tree for either of us to go to check collar for name tag.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I had one get hung in vines just like you are talking about. A guy actually called on the radio to tell me what was going on. Needless to say I get there and jump in the bottom of the canal to save me dog. I still wonder what the guys watching would have done if I had not been coming at a high rate of speed. They definitely we're not making an effort to get to my dog. But it makes one wonder how many of the dogs we lost years ago were loss to such strange situations. Heard a guy say he lost one that got hung on a "bush hook". Amazingly the hook was not in the dogs skin but simply slipped under the collar.
I would jump in for anybody's dog before I would watch it drown. There are limits though, I doubt I would risk my life in water over my head with an extremely fast current. We have often wondered that dogs we lost years ago that we thought were stolen or killed might have just died or died in some weird fashion such as mentioned, before we had tracking collars. We have had them drown, just fall out dead and even get hung in old fences. Even had a few killed by other dogs whether the were feral or other hunting dogs. By "we"I mean the guys I have hunted with over the years. One day the pack was baying I got there the coyote jumped out of a tree. I had a hound up in the tree too. When she spun to leap out, both of her back legs slipped between two limbs. She was hanging upside down with her legs binding on the limbs. I'm glad I was there when it happens and glad I could get up the tree to her.

Last edited:

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Dogs can get in some of the damndest situations. Collars are a liability but also a Godsend. Too loose and they are a noose waiting to tighten when a snag gets under them or keeps them anchored or they loose the collar completely. Too tight and the dog runs out of air.
I did not think her collar was too loose. I have been thinking about that though.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I look at it as a reminder, when you turn them loose you never know if, you will see them alive again or not. Even though that is always a thought in the back of my mind, it can be a hard pill to shallow. I try my darndest to keep them safe.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
I would jump in for anybody's dog before I would watch it drown. There are limits though, I doubt I would risk my life in water over my head with an extremely fast current. We have often wondered that dogs we lost years ago that we thought were stolen or killed might have just died or died in some weird fashion such as mentioned, before we had tracking collars. We have had them drown, just fall out dead and even get hung in old fences. Even had a few killed by other dogs whether the were feral or other hunting dogs. By "we"I mean the guys I have hunted with over the years. One day I the pack was baying I got there the coyote jumped out of a tree. I had a hound up in the tree too. When she spun to leap out, both of her back legs slipped between two limbs. She was hanging upside down with her legs binding on the limbs. I'm glad I was there when it happens and glad I could get up the tree to her.

I hunted with a lot of guys that were "questionable" at best when it came to being a "houndsman". I saw this change during my lifetime. When the cost of leasing land started to skyrocket the number of questionable hunters did as well. Clubs that were nearly impossible to join had to start taking anyone with a check. The hardest but best lesson I learned was, and I quote my dad, "If you turn 10 loose, you plan on catching all 10 by putting your hand in the collar. That way if someone else catches just one you see it as a plus." I was lucky as a youngling to grow up hunting with guys that new when to put the guns up and start handling dogs, even if some of them did not own dogs. I would never ask someone to risk injury, or worse, to catch a dog. But I will say I have done some pretty "iffy" things to catch a hound. Some were mine, some were not. But when we are young we do not realize how many times we put ourselves in really dangerous situations. Just glad the good Lord was watching out for me.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I hunted with a lot of guys that were "questionable" at best when it came to being a "houndsman". I saw this change during my lifetime. When the cost of leasing land started to skyrocket the number of questionable hunters did as well. Clubs that were nearly impossible to join had to start taking anyone with a check. The hardest but best lesson I learned was, and I quote my dad, "If you turn 10 loose, you plan on catching all 10 by putting your hand in the collar. That way if someone else catches just one you see it as a plus." I was lucky as a youngling to grow up hunting with guys that new when to put the guns up and start handling dogs, even if some of them did not own dogs. I would never ask someone to risk injury, or worse, to catch a dog. But I will say I have done some pretty "iffy" things to catch a hound. Some were mine, some were not. But when we are young we do not realize how many times we put ourselves in really dangerous situations. Just glad the good Lord was watching out for me.
Just have to say Amen to that. I know God had to have a hand in keeping me and the hounds safe more than once. I too learned only I am responsible for my hounds, but I do appreciate any help. I tend to hunt with a tight group of friends for the most part. I must add Garmin sure has made retrieving and controlling the hounds a lot easier.

shotgunner

Ten Pointer
Just have to say Amen to that. I know God had to have a hand in keeping me and the hounds safe more than once. I too learned only I am responsible for my hounds, but I do appreciate any help. I tend to hunt with a tight group of friends for the most part. I must add Garmin sure has made retrieving and controlling the hounds a lot easier.

Yeah, I had a few I could count on but most were not interested once they figured no gun powder would be burned. I got out about the time the Garmins were really getting popular. It would be fun to see how those things work. I have heard nothing but good stuff about them.