Crazy Afternoon Hunt!

25contender

Twelve Pointer
What a crazy afternoon hunt. I carried my 50lbs of gear to the tree as I always do and climbed up about 1:30. As I was pulling my bow up here comes a doe, I really wanted a doe to make some sausage. She never gave me the opportunity for a good shot but she fed around for about 30 minute then went on her way. After she left it was non stop action all afternoon. I hadn't hunted this tree in a few years but it was the same tree I shot my biggest NC deer from.
Not long after the first doe passed through a small buck came in and fed some then left, then a doe came after him. She gave me a shot but I had to shoot through a fork in a tree which was kind of sketchy. The shot was good and through both shoulders the arrow passed. I watched as she crashed only 60 yds from my stand.
Shortly after 3 doe came running through then a grunt then another grunt. A doe comes running behind the stand and a small buck grunting running as fast as he could right under my stand. I watch them on my right but hear a deer off to my left. It was another doe and I see her looking over her shoulder then I hear another grunt up the hill.
The doe comes scampering by behind my stand. At the same time all this is going on just like earlier I am aiming the video camera and shooting footage with my left hand and holding my bow in my right. I get the camera aimed as the doe comes through behind me and I hear the buck coming. I see his horns and at this point know I will take him if I get a shot. He is moving at a steady pace and I am already at full draw. Out of the corner of my eye I see him come into view on the camera screen. He is on a mission as he is walking 12 yds behind my stand I touch off the shot and the arrow blows through the shoulder and down trough the brisket. He high kicks and I know it is over for him. I see him crest the ridge and all I see is red spraying everywhere. The word over seemed to be the right word. I get down with plenty of light and start tracking. It looked like someone took spray paint and sprayed red paint everywhere. 50 yrds I walk.... 100yds I walk. At this point the swamp and creek is not far. Sure enough he is headed for the creek. My heart sinks and the word crap comes out of my mouth. I follow the blood to the thick edge I see the creek.... then as I get through the brush I see him 10 feet out in the clear knee high water!!! All I can say is that water was very cold!! It's hard to believe he could hold that shot and stay on his feet for that distance.
20191104_000259.jpg

20191103_234746.jpg

20191103_181604.jpg

Last edited:

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Thanks everyone!! I will try and put up a video when I get a chance. I did get some great footage. Its amazing how it turns on after Halloween. Holloween weekend always seems to be the goto start of the rut in our part of NC.

25contender

Twelve Pointer
There is nothing like figuring them out and getting close enough to a deer then making the shot. Nothing else like it. I haven't picked up a rifle to hunt In over 30years. Love it

Larry R

Old Mossy Horns
Congratulations. That's the kind of action deer hunting is supposed to be but rarely every happens. Looking forward to seeing the videos.