Cracked stock

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Recently picked up a side by side.
Noticed a slight gap between the stock and receiver. Pulled the stock off and found what looks like a bit of the wood is missing that would meet the metal.
I’ve talked with a couple of people about the issue, but figured I’d post some photos.

Recommendations on fixing this? I don’t plan to shoot it very often but I did hope to shoot it some.

Attachments

• 7D942476-A4E9-4861-91D7-DFAFC080EE87.jpeg
    7D942476-A4E9-4861-91D7-DFAFC080EE87.jpeg
    97.6 KB · Views: 39
  • F9E9B06E-E9FA-452B-B628-B5A5D1D1BFFE.jpeg
    F9E9B06E-E9FA-452B-B628-B5A5D1D1BFFE.jpeg
    65.7 KB · Views: 39
  • C5AE1CD4-689A-4D4D-B6C9-E4B96EC2F897.jpeg
    C5AE1CD4-689A-4D4D-B6C9-E4B96EC2F897.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 41
  • BB60344C-DB66-42A8-A43A-73BE3D90CF45.jpeg
    BB60344C-DB66-42A8-A43A-73BE3D90CF45.jpeg
    102.6 KB · Views: 41

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I can’t tell one way or another based on the pictures. I’m guessing a fox model b from the pictures. If you can find the split, you can work it and put resin in the crack. Wrap it with rubber bands. Drill in and add some dowels for reinforcement.

Not a high dollar item. May want to just take care of it as it is and not be afraid to shoot it.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
A Fox Model B. Definitely worth fixing in my opinion. Might reach out to Sharps40 for advise. He seems to have done a lot of woodworking relating to firearms. If you can get him away from his hot rod long enough to answer.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
The Fox B was a workman's shotgun in it's day but they are fairly sought after these days. A look at Armslist will show that the nicer ones are running $600 - $800 (asking price) and higher.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I che ked with a few people I know and there cost would not be something you want to pay on for it.

Pictures are better, I remember the gap we talked about.
Waiting on another to get back but like said, glass it up and get it to fit tight like it should and you will be fine.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
First you are going to have to get all that oil that is impregnated out of that surrounding damaged area. Once you get that done you can repair it with Acraglas.
Good advice.
Yep it will not hold if you dont remove the oil and some of the finish.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
First you are going to have to get all that oil that is impregnated out of that surrounding damaged area. Once you get that done you can repair it with Acraglas.

yep, but, AcraGel is like butter and wont run like Glas and is easier to control (keep outa where ya don't want it)

and Easy Off Oven cleaner was made just for oil removal from wood, could take a few doses.

find some scrap walnut and file/rasp some and mix with the Gel and it'll nearly match

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Use acetone to remove the oil. Larry Potterfield has a short video on this topic which shows him dunking the affected part in a bucket containing acetone. I've used this method to remove oil from an L C Smith stock which was heavily saturated but the oil had rendered the stock too brittle so I'm replacing it. Yours doesn't look too bad. Lots of stocks on older guns have been damaged by oil and the advent of high brass shells which just pound the crap out of the wrist area and over time it begins to crack and crumble.