CPAP machine

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If I sleep or attempt to sleep on my back no one around me will sleep including me for the snoring. I will wake myself up.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
When I had my sleep study done years ago it noted that I quit breathing for a total of 45 minutes over a 6 hour period. This was in my initial sleep study the next study I had involved a split night. They let me sleep 3 hours without a machine and then the last 3 under treatment. I could tell a difference in those 3 hours. I suffer from central sleep apnea but at the time was also way overweight so obstructive was also part of it. I have since lost close to 200lbs and although I still use my CPAP my pressure numbers are way low. Mine was so bad that with me stopping breathing so long my oxygen sats were in the low 80's. Head hurt all the time and it was actually starting to affect my memory. I don't think my heart could have held up 10 more years the way I was. On a side note do not sleep with your windows open. I use to and had a skunk spray outside the house one night and trust me when you get skunk smell pumped down in your lungs you will never forget it. LMAO I still about gag thinking about it.
200#'s loss. I envy you. That is quite an accomplishment. I envy your willpower. Congratulations.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Used to snore so loud I would wake up w/ a sore throat. I also would dose off @ red lights on occasion. Sleep study revealed somewhere between 65-75 events/hr.

I’ve been using one nightly for about 5 years. It was a game changer. Actually that’s a understatement, it was life changing. Now if I dose off in the recliner for 10 or 15 minutes my throat is sore from the snoring. Give yourself a couple nights to get used to the mask and adjusting the humidity and you’ll be all set.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
Thankfully I don't have sleep apnea but I did three years of consulting work for a company that does testing and supplying CPAP to the trucking industry. During those three years I learned a lot about sleep apnea and the dangers of it to your overall health.

While FMCSA does not legally force drivers to be tested they do highly recommend it based on a set criteria, which most of the big trucking companies follow. I'll list some of them for anyone that thinks they might need to be tested.

Over 40 years old.
BMI of 35 or higher.
Hypertension [high blood pressure]
Neck size of 19" or greater.
Fatigue in midafternoon [studies show that between the hours of 2:00 and 5:00 PM are most likely]
Snoring.

There are eleven but any two of these six indicates that you need to be tested. Sleep apnea should be taken very seriously, it can kill you and will for sure shorten your life if not treated. Make sure whoever fits you with a CPAP takes the time to fit you with a mask that is comfortable. By far the number one reason people stop using a CPAP is they don't have a comfortable mask fit.

Also, you don't have to go to a "sleep clinic, be hooked up with wires, stay overnight, and spend several hundred dollars. There are several home tests available that will provide the results within twenty-four hours. If you can find a Concentra Clinic I think most of them can do this now. The test should cost $300.00- $500.00.

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
We see a number of patients who have a condition called floppy lid syndrome, and a high percentage of those are on CPAP setups. Not saying that CPAPs cause that, just that they are related. Symptoms are lid laxity, watering, itching, and eye dryness. Patients say air escape can dry their eyes out and some use artificial tear gel at bedtime.
I sometimes can look at someone’s eyes and suspect they have sleep apnea and ask them if they use a CPAP and they confirm virtually every time.

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
Tried for a year and a half, but never could sleep with the mask on. Mask would wake me up numerous times per night. My nose has been broken 5 times (3 by me, 2 by Dr trying to fix it), so I had to have a full face mask. I’m a side sleeper and never could find a mask that would work for me. I traveled at least 50% or more during that time and often traveled with a lot of equipment. I quickly got tired of carrying the cpap with me. Know plenty of people that can’t sleep without them. I wasn’t one of them.

Jack's PA

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I’m assuming that most likely you have to sleep on your back at night which is not a problem at night but I do like to toss around on each side before I fall asleep
I sleep face down in my pillow. The CPAP lets me get air so I am comfortable.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
Another thing that may help some ... if you sleep on your back, sleep so your pillow supports your SHOULDERS so that your head tilts back a bit. If your chin tilts forward towards your chest, you will probably have trouble breathing.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
I use a CPAP nightly (unless I'm sleeping solo). My snoring can be awful. However, after an overnight sleep test in the sleep lab probably 8-10 years ago, I was only a few points away from diagnosable sleep apnea. Without the diagnosis, insurance wouldn't cover the cost of the CPAP machine so I went without for years and we just dealt with it using various different oral devices.....some worked for a little while, but eventually over time I'd snore right through those things. So......about 2 years ago, I went back to the sleep doc and told them I had to have a CPAP and that I was not doing the overnight test in the lab again. They offered to send me home with equipment for an "at home" test.....sounds good, sure. Well, when I was checking out I found that insurance won't cover that test and that it would cost me $1,100. I flipped my lid and had the doctor come out to the lobby where I asked him.....why would I spend $1,100 out of pocket for this test instead of just buying a damn CPAP machine myself???? After standing silent and scratching his head for a few seconds....he agreed with my sentiment. He called a local CPAP supplier and let them know I was on the way. Spent about $900 and haven't regretted it in the least. Everyone thinks you have to have a prescription to get a CPAP machine.....you don't.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
FWIW, another example of beating sleep-apnea:
After a couple weeks of getting a best fitting mask, my wife has just completed a whole week of solid, deep, 7-8 hour nightly sleeps and feels like / acts like a new person...full of energy, feels so much better, is much happier, feels like she's been born again.
And its also very obvious from my view, seeing all these changes in her.
We wish we'd known about this years ago...

Last edited:

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
Coincidentally on a call right now where Philips is recalling some CPAP / APAP machines. If you own a Philips, maybe go to their web site and check it out.

sll

Four Pointer
I got diagnosed with A-Fib about 4 years ago. Had to have a heart ablation (actually have had 2 now) to correct it but surgeon would not do the procedure until I got on a CPAP. He said one of the main causes of A-Fib was sleep apnea and wouldn't do it until I did. I done the sleep study and it showed I had over 60 IPH average during the test, which means I quit breathing more than 10 seconds every minute. Just some advice to all out there.....have a sleep study done if you are having any issues.....it may have saved me from 2 surgeries if I would have done it years ago.

They are definitely hard to get used to at first, and if you are a mouth-breather you will learn to get over that. I struggled feeling like I was suffocating with the half-faced masks and switched to the nose-type pillows and have had no issues since.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
I have had one for many years. best thing I have ever done honestly. I had the at home test then had the study done at a clinic. after about an hour, the dude came in and put me on a machine. best 6 hours of sleep I had gotten in years. I am on my second machine now and have tried the nasal mask, full face mask and the nasal pillows. Pillows are the easiest to sleep in, they allow me to sleep on my side easily and probably the most comfortable to me. it didnt take very long to get used to the mask. feeling rested and refreshed when you wake up helps get over the mask issue

Duck21

Button Buck
Been using one for 15 years a life saver, i use the nasal pillow mask can sleep on side back and stomach.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
So for the guys that use them now?

Had a test some time back it was a racket some part time kid from NCSU was working the lab did the test and in the morning said he wanted to set uo my Cpap because I needed one. Ask when I meet the Dr and he said no need he could handle it.
I ask for an appointment to meet the doc and get his recommendation. He said your doc can do that. He went on to say EVERYONE could benefit from a CPAP.

I said F off and went on.

Fast forward to 2 weeks back. Duke is wanting to have me in their lab and already set up meeting with doctors before and after and the test..
Plan to trust them more.

Looks like they already think I need it just testing to make sure and get report.

My worry, I camp remote for a week and sometimes 2 weeks fishing on the OBX.
How can I power something like that for a few weeks with no generator.
What about tent camping and hunting remote?

Are they good to the point I could just use disposable batteries or run a week on a 100 amp trolling motor battery?

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Had a test some time back it was a racket some part time kid from NCSU was working the lab did the test and in the morning said he wanted to set uo my Cpap because I needed one. Ask when I meet the Dr and he said no need he could handle it.
I ask for an appointment to meet the doc and get his recommendation. He said your doc can do that. He went on to say EVERYONE could benefit from a CPAP.

Fast forward to 2 weeks back. Duke is wanting to have me in their lab and already set up meeting with doctors before and after and the test..
Plan to trust them more.

Looks like they already think I need it just testing to make sure and get report.

Are they good to the point I could just use disposable batteries or run a week on a 100 amp trolling motor battery?
There are battery packs made for my wife's ResMed brand...and many are listed by the various CPAP equipment suppliers...not cheap...and you'd need to check on longevity for whatever brand machine you get, how ofter to recharge, etc...

Southern

Ten Pointer

Plan to trust them more.

Just do an amp calculation. I cannot get but a few days out of a deep cycle battery. Be sure to use a sine wave converter.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Just do an amp calculation. I cannot get but a few days out of a deep cycle battery. Be sure to use a sine wave converter.
Man they is going to be a PITA .
Guess I will need to find a way to carry more batteries, solar or small generator. ...
Truck is already full as it is. That or just plan to fish longer and sleep about 3 hrs a night.

How is the transition from using one then not for a few days?
May just go without for a week on the fishing trips.

Southern

Ten Pointer
Man they is going to be a PITA .
Guess I will need to find a way to carry more batteries, solar or small generator. ...
Truck is already full as it is. That or just plan to fish longer and sleep about 3 hrs a night.

How is the transition from using one then not for a few days?
May just go without for a week on the fishing trips.
Hee Hee, good luck with that. You will learn pretty quickly that a CPAP is life support.