Coyotes

EazyE02

Button Buck
Hey all, I'm new here... I am looking for some tips on coyote hunting, I have a good bit of land, but my pastures are now cornfields, and I only have a strip of land in between two pastures, I also have wooded areas, but lately I've been getting coyotes to respond back to me about 150 yards behind the barn, and even closer near our chicken coop. They have jumped on our hound, and the beagle we have seen the small coyotes running around near the barn, I'm having trouble getting them to come out of the cornfields, what should I do? Get into the woods? Or play another call?

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
into the woods, in a tree stand, or ground blind at least (fallen log brushed in)
put the caller in a bottom with you at ridge top
brush or cloth yourself in or they could see your movement
call SOFTLY for first few series of 1 call
then softly with another sound or squeek
only then do you turn up the volume some and start the sounds over

You didn't tell us which call you are using, pup in distress, or rabbit or bird or what?

EazyE02

Button Buck
into the woods, in a tree stand, or ground blind at least (fallen log brushed in)
put the caller in a bottom with you at ridge top
brush or cloth yourself in or they could see your movement
call SOFTLY for first few series of 1 call
then softly with another sound or squeek
only then do you turn up the volume some and start the sounds over

You didn't tell us which call you are using, pup in distress, or rabbit or bird or what?
I start out using a locator call, they normally respond to my hunting whine call on my flex tone flx1000, then I wait about 3 minutes or so until I start calling, I use the cottontail distress call I have lots of rabbits in the area I am hunting in. I tend to play the sound about one minute long, and mute the call about two minutes then go again, but haven't had any luck.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
The old pro's that taught me in Idaho, during the 80's, only used a loud locator when we could see nearly a mile.
Blasting away loudly will often scare away close dogs you cannot see...and never knew were there at all.
We had many yotes pushed to us, over/around a ridge, by others calling too loud too soon.
Hunt in pairs, so a shotgunner is close to the caller and a rifleman is on higher ground/tree stand.
When more than 1 comes in, shoot the furthest 1 first, then work your way in, they will be rolling then!
Lawndale is good hilly country, too!...home of the Mountain Trappers Rendezvous in Oct.

EazyE02

Button Buck
I've only killed one coyote in my life, and that was when I was hunting during bow season with my crossbow, when I've just climbed out of my stand I heard something growling, they didn't see me or smell me which was very strange. I have a small cedar tree in front of my deer stand to provide cover and camouflage me in a little bit in the front, well I was in behind that tree when I popped out there stood two coyotes 10 yards in front of me, one bolted and the other one turned to follow so I threw up and shot hitting the young female. Now I've seen a big increase in the coyotes population here. I would like to trap them, but I don't want to catch one of my dogs, I have a hound, beagle, and a mountain Feist, also a black cat who also likes to hunt with them as well. I think my best option is to get into the woods, and go that route I've only have a 20-30 yard shot but I think I can make that happen with a shotgun or my 223, maybe a 30-30.

Cam

Four Pointer
If they are resident there and you have been calling to them alot with that call you can near about forget it.They get call shy pretty quick get you a dozen foot traps and learn how to trap them. Plus its alot more fun almost like Christmas evey morning when you go check them.

EazyE02

Button Buck
Just recently started trying to call them in, so don't think they are call shy yet. May try trapping them, but I worry about catching one of my pets with them, I trapped coon with a dog proof trap before, so I kinda know alittle about the trapping thing, foot traps will be new to me... But I've researched on how to do it, and think I can catch a couple.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
are you using your barn? or are there other outbuildings that have fallen down or in disrepair on the property? sounds like you might have a den in the barn or close by.

EazyE02

Button Buck
are you using your barn? or are there other outbuildings that have fallen down or in disrepair on the property? sounds like you might have a den in the barn or close by.
Have not tried the barn.. The corn has grown up around it maybe stick the caller on the bottom floor? And I get up in the hay loft.Thats the only really spot I know of, can get close quarters with them in the woods, but I will have to be stealthy going in.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
Have not tried the barn.. The corn has grown up around it maybe stick the caller on the bottom floor? And I get up in the hay loft.Thats the only really spot I know of, can get close quarters with them in the woods, but I will have to be stealthy going in.

So barn is surrounded by corn? Is the barn being used at all

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
You'd be wise to attend the trappers convention in Sept and attend free demos given by NC's best trappers, take notes, buy gear without shipping expenses, pick the brains of MANY other old pro's there, come by my tables for FREE lure. Even buy a dvd there. Bring the family since there is stuff for women and kids to do. Put in for Vacation time at work if needed, so you can attend Fri and Sat. Camping is free there. AND, join us at www.nctrapper.proboards.com to keep up with whats happening in NC ….like when the FREE trappers ed classes are scheduled, etc.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Forgot to advise you to BEWARE of utube trapping info, the laws vary greatly from state to state and I've know guys to do what they saw on UT only to get a ticket.
Another option is to call your CO and have them issue a permit for a licensed/experienced ADC trapper to trap NOW, out of season for most folks.
Since a yote has not hurt any of your critters, I'm not sure if they'd even issue the permit though.

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
Back when I was licensed, if the client would not keep up their dogs, I'd pass...because that pulls the rug out from under the trapper from the start.
If he uses a fruity bait, like my Critter Candy, it will at least avoid the cats.

And, with your 20-30 yd shot possible, I'd use buckshot in the 12 ga.

Hines

Spike
Do you have the ability to keep your dogs and cat in a few nights per week? If so, i would give leg hold traps a try. if not....eventually you WILL catch one of your own animals because they are curious. In-laws have a dog and he tends to get himself caught about once every year and a half.

EazyE02

Button Buck
The barn isn't being used, hasn't been used since 05. My pets like to roam, so I doubt they'll be kept up for long. And yes the barn has corn behind it, but a small strip of land about 100 yards we call it the meadow strip, I use it for a shooting range mostly, but wanting to get coyotes to funnel out into sometimes is difficult. I do think the barn, or the woods will be my best choice, maybe trapping them will come into mind if nothing else works.

mattharris0414

if ya hover your cursor over his name it tells ya, then if ya aint sure where THAT is, type it in the box at the top of the page and read up on the place.....i gota do this often!
Thanks for the tip, Im usually on my phone when check out the site though.

You wont have a chance if the wind isn't right. drop a gut pile or road kill in the field. I have had luck with a rabbit squeal or a locator call.