Coyotes responding to siren last night...

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My house is in the woods, and straight out the back door the next house is about 2 miles away, with a tree farm in between. Last night about 9:30 a vehicle with siren blaring went down the road in front of the house, and a pack of yotes responded. I stepped out to the back porch and it sounded like they were about 200 yards away. There were mulitple voices, and it is an errie sound for sure. That siren was like a shock or locater call for them.

I know there are coyotes here, get them on trailcam occasionally, but only one at a time. I have heard them do the same thing at night in response to a train whistle, with the crossing about a mile away. And one night I heard a pack running some poor animal, sounded like a high pitched pack of rabbit dogs. It is easy to forget they are around until something like this happens, and reminds me to never leave my yard unarmed.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Get yourself a challenge call and one night, when you get up to pee at O Dark Thirty, step out and let the call rip.

I used to do that all the time before our current house guests became semi-permanent.

I've had a cacophony of yodelers going moon bat crazy with that stuff. Of course, most the time I had a light and a 22 mag, in case they were really close.

Sometimes they were...

LR308

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
There is a fire station right around the corner from me. If its dark and they get a call, I know the general vicinity of all the yotes within a mile of the house.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
"Introduced" a friend to a possible place to set up predator hunting yotes. He thought the wooded area was possibly too small. It was just after dark and a train horn blew prior to a crossing about a half mile away. Yotes sounded off due to the train horn. 3 yotes were already in the field about 150-200 yards away. Never got close enough for a good shot.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
3 yotes were already in the field about 150-200 yards away. Never got close enough for a good shot.
I'm wondering if any true coyote hunters ever used a similar sound as a locater call. I know they would not come to it, but just to figure out if that area is good to set up in. Maybe an air horn, or something similar in an attempt to get a response?

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
The very first night we stayed here my wife and I were sitting on the porch after dark. It sounded like there were 20 of them close by. My wife had never heard them before and was amazed. I just put another Spypoint right at the edge of my back yard. Within a half hour I had photos coming in of yotes 40 feet out my back door.

TH80

Eight Pointer
I hear them all the time behind my house when the fire whistle goes off or a siren and trains. I even hear them a lot when there’s no noise. The man that hunts back there said he hasn’t seen many but it sounds like a pretty good pack

I was at my farm after dark one night this season skinning a deer I had just shot. A few military jets buzzed us low and loud and the yotes responded. They were very close and it was a little unnerving.