Coyotes = 4, Triggernosis = 0

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
So, with the recent discussion regarding beginning trapping and advice regarding coyotes in this thread: http://www.nchuntandfish.com/forums/showthread.php?110458-Trapping-tips-for-beginner-best-supplies-around-Raleigh, my coyote trapping mentor urged me to come here and confess my sins and admit my defeat trapping coyotes over the Thanksgiving holidays.
Well, first, my sin was setting traps in clay/mud type soil the day before a 3-day rain in which we got 3" of rain over the period. After the first night, the traps were so encased in clay mud that 'yotes dug up 2 of my sets (bait) and never fired the trap. Nice big paw-print squarely on one of the pans! Hellfire, I had to dig up one of my traps and kick it down the dirt path to get it to fire.

After resetting the traps in better dirt, I had several visits and a couple of dig-outs over the past few days, but those 'yotes are still on the prowl. To add insult to injury, one of the bastards took a dump in front of my set and scratched off in the dirt like you'd see your neighbor's dog doing on mom's flowerbed.

On the plus side, though, I did catch 3 gray foxes. However, the county I caught them in is one of those without a fox season, so they all had to be released.

Last edited:

Castle Oak

Trigger,
are you putting fiberfill under the pans? Also, try putting a layer of peat moss around the pan then put soil on top of this.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
Trigger,
are you putting fiberfill under the pans? Also, try putting a layer of peat moss around the pan then put soil on top of this.

Both. With 3" of rain, on top of a solid clay soil, no amount of fiberfill or other concoction is going to work. This is the kind of soil that you can get a 4-wheel drive truck stuck in 1" of dirt...literally. I did, however, take me a bucket of topsoil obtained from a local construction site to re-make my sets with. I also did some more refined trap tuning and re-waxed everything, so that should help a bit in the future.

Thanks for the advice, though.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Two things usually account for most of the digging. One is odor on the trap. The other is a trap not bedded solid. The way you describe yours encased in mud, it does not sound like they were moving in the bed so it points back to odor. If the dirt hole flooded, some of the bait smell could have run back toward the trap bed.

On a very positive note, you are on location and you got the yotes to work the set and leave you a calling card. I think I would consider moving the set just a few feet and maybe change it to a flat set rather than a dirt hole. Use the calling card to help guide the yote to the pan. Yotes investigate scat that they encounter and they will likely be back.

Do not get discouraged. If it was easy, everyone would be catching them. And the weather could definitely be worse if it was rain, freeze at night, thaw by day and repeat.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
Two things usually account for most of the digging. One is odor on the trap. The other is a trap not bedded solid. The way you describe yours encased in mud, it does not sound like they were moving in the bed so it points back to odor. If the dirt hole flooded, some of the bait smell could have run back toward the trap bed.

On a very positive note, you are on location and you got the yotes to work the set and leave you a calling card. I think I would consider moving the set just a few feet and maybe change it to a flat set rather than a dirt hole. Use the calling card to help guide the yote to the pan. Yotes investigate scat that they encounter and they will likely be back.

Do not get discouraged. If it was easy, everyone would be catching them. And the weather could definitely be worse if it was rain, freeze at night, thaw by day and repeat.

They didn't dig up the traps at all - they dug out the bait. I don't think they ever knew the traps were there, as they were still firmly bedded (encased in a concrete/mud mix as it were, rather).
I've got a few more tricks up my sleeve via guidance from Jimmy P.. In fact, I'm going to ride with him again tomorrow just for a refresher.

Oh, and regarding 'yotes investigating scat - Jimmy already has me picking up turds I encounter in the paths and roads. What in the world has become of my dignity!? Oh, that's right - I never had any dignity in the first place.

Last edited:

Castle Oak

Trig,
I have the same problem with clay so I did what you did and found better soil to cover with. The great news is they worked your sets without becoming educated so rebedding should result in some catches. The eastern season opened today so I'm anxious for tomorrow morning to get here. I'm trying some pre-baiting(been in the ground for two weeks w/ plenty of activity) so I should be in business. Good Luck. I hear JP is one of the best.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
Yes, that's what I'm thinking - they haven't had dirt thrown in their face and been alarmed yet, so I should get them eventually.

JP has been very generous to me with his guidance. I've pestered him to death over the past couple of years, I'm sure....but then again, I'm an "active" student and jump right in and set traps too and do what I can to help when I ride with him, rather than sit back and only observe. "Learning by doing" is my motto.

Where'bouts are you located, CO?

RPD689

Spike
A thought on pre-baiting, I call it the Chinese buffet theory.

You go to the same Chinese buffet every Friday night. They always have the same items in the same trays in the same place on the line. The first time or two that you went, you checked out everything. Now, it is not as exciting or appetite provoking for the most part. You even pass over some items. You really wish that the little woman would let you go to Golden Corral instead. Then, one Friday, you see a sign and flashing light proclaiming, New Item. You hustle on down to the end of the line to look at it, smell it, roll it around with the serving spoon and put some of the new item on your plate.

Pre-baiting coyotes is like taking them to the buffet. They will quickly satisfy their curiosity and move on. The time to get him is the initial exposure to the set and bait/lure. He is most curious and vulnerable at this time. This is not to say that he will run right in like a dumb as a possum grey fox. Make sets as natural looking as possible, use good stuff and let it sit.

Tom,

You forgot to tell them about the little 7 year old boy.

Jimmy

Castle Oak

RPD,
Here's an idea that I'm sure is not new. Friends and site members keep posting trail camera pics from deer bait sites and many times all you will see in the photo is eyes and head outline of the yote. Thus indicating the yotes are checking theses bait sites from a distance. Have you ever made sets around deer bait sites? And if so, how do you determine where to make your sets?

RPD689

Spike
I have never created deer bait sites. I have caught lots of them using hunt club disposal sites when I go east of I-95 after deer season. The way to be successful using that tactic is to set away from the site and catch them on the approach. I have found that once he is focused on the disposal site, he will ignore sets. I try to set at least 50-100 yards away. They will often mill around checking the area for danger before making the final approach. Finding his travel way and keeping that behavioral tendency in mind will result in more catches.

Setting at the site will often result in traps being clogged with possums and other non-targets.

I checked on the legality of picking up road kill deer to use as attractors. The deer season/possession/reporting laws do apply to a road kill, at least in my area.