Coyote trapping 101 abc 123

SkeeBo

Button Buck
Heyall

New to the nc hunt and fish forums....joined to gain some knowledge ....seems like a good place to pick peoples brains...

Anyways i have been seeing too many coyotes around my way and i wouldnt mind getting rid of a couple.... I rabbit hunt and deer hunt and wanna help the population...seems they have been puttin a hurtin on both around here..

Never trapped before... How would i go about starting legally trapping them... License? Traps? Baits? Lures? Sets?.... Any info from yall would be much appreciated..

Thanks

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I second what Odie said. I didn’t have a clue about anything last March and I got a lot of help thru here, the trappers Ed course, books, dvds, etc. just started going for coyotes recently and thanks to everything I listed above, I’ve been able to realize what I was doing wrong. Actually set a half dozen coyote sets this evening. Be prepared to be frustrated...but the frustration is half the addiction for me!!! @JoeR is another guy who’s figuring it out . I won’t bother to tag all the seasoned trappers on here Bc it’s a long list but they’ve all been a major help

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
License and regulation info is available on the NC WRC website. Starting from scratch, you would be well advised to reach out to a mentor in your area. There are some good trappers in your neck of the woods that would likely be willing to help you get started. The NC Trappers Association website and Talk Forum is a good place to ask for help. Just be aware that it is trapping season now and most trappers are pretty busy running their lines right now but that may also get you the opportunity to ride along with someone.

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer
Attend onto of the nc trappers classes. Shorten the learning curve. Links on the top of this page has traps and supplies you will need. Everything you would need will be at the trappers convention next year, how to's, bait, traps, lures....
Yes, i would recomend taking a basic trapping class, learn some basic sets, best advice i can give you is learn your animal that you entend to trap. Get some good quality trap, not the cheaper junk. The animal will teach you. Learn to bed solid, set on sign, trapping is rewarding, frustrating, and addictive. You would be wise to find a seasond trapper to learn from. Once you stop learning you are done. I guess what i'm saying is you never stop learning. Good luck, i dont claim to know it all but have learned alot from folks on this fourm. There is a wealth of knowledge on here.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Yes, i would recomend taking a basic trapping class, learn some basic sets, best advice i can give you is learn your animal that you entend to trap. Get some good quality trap, not the cheaper junk. The animal will teach you. Learn to bed solid, set on sign, trapping is rewarding, frustrating, and addictive. You would be wise to find a seasond trapper to learn from. Once you stop learning you are done. I guess what i'm saying is you never stop learning. Good luck, i dont claim to know it all but have learned alot from folks on this fourm. There is a wealth of knowledge on here.

X2 brother! Well said. LEARN TO BED SOLID was a big one for me. Even with water trapping. My attitude was “eh that’s good enough I guess.” Them critters schooled me

SkeeBo

Button Buck
Wow... Thats what im talkin about...yaw are quick with the responses....

I will def look into trapping classes...

What do yall mean about trapping being frustrating?

And what do yall find addicting about it??

Im already getting interested with it...

Thanks

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator

Thanks

Here ya go...2 in Marion and 1 in Wake county as of now . https://www.register-ed.com/programs/northcarolina/46-north-carolina-hunter-education-workshops

Frustrating in the fact that I assumed if you set traps, the critters will automatically come and if they come they will automatically get caught. Def not the case. Not saying you assumed that. Sometimes too much lure, a poorly bedded trap, heaby rain, non target catches, etc can cause you to miss a critter that you were confident you would catch. I started with beaver and it took me almost 2 weeks of checking and resetting daily to catch my first one. All those days of setting and checking empty traps made me feel like I’d never catch a thing. Then I started catching them and it all seemed worth it. Hell, it is worth it. Going out and finding sign is a lot of fun. Then I’ll set traps and be confident I’ll catch something. I’ll come back to empty traps and the new tracks tell the story of what the critter did and I have to try to see why it didn’t go in the trap. That’s the addicting part for me. Putting all the pieces together, making adjustments, and eventually making a catch. My second catch ever was 2 beavers within 10 feet of each other. And both were the first sets I really thought about where to put them and why. But whether you catch em or miss em, you’ll still be addicted

SkeeBo

Button Buck
Here ya go...2 in Marion and 1 in Wake county as of now . https://www.register-ed.com/programs/northcarolina/46-north-carolina-hunter-education-workshops

Frustrating in the fact that I assumed if you set traps, the critters will automatically come and if they come they will automatically get caught. Def not the case. Not saying you assumed that. Sometimes too much lure, a poorly bedded trap, heaby rain, non target catches, etc can cause you to miss a critter that you were confident you would catch. I started with beaver and it took me almost 2 weeks of checking and resetting daily to catch my first one. All those days of setting and checking empty traps made me feel like I’d never catch a thing. Then I started catching them and it all seemed worth it. Hell, it is worth it. Going out and finding sign is a lot of fun. Then I’ll set traps and be confident I’ll catch something. I’ll come back to empty traps and the new tracks tell the story of what the critter did and I have to try to see why it didn’t go in the trap. That’s the addicting part for me. Putting all the pieces together, making adjustments, and eventually making a catch. My second catch ever was 2 beavers within 10 feet of each other. And both were the first sets I really thought about where to put them and why. But whether you catch em or miss em, you’ll still be addicted[/QUOT

I got ya....makes sense...

Now i have watched some dirt hole sets for coyote on you tube...seems pretty straight foward....

Now my question....does the stuff these northerners do work the same down south? Same bait and lures?

And it seems everybody has personal preferences for traps baits..lures... Guess i need to do some research...

If yall wanna throw out some of your preferences....i will def listen...

Thanks

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator

Yeah like today I did some dirt holes, some scent posts, some flat sets and a blind set in a trail. You can look all them up..also pretty straightforward. I’m a newbie too but I just wanted you to realize how doable it is even if you don’t know anything starting off.a lot of stuff up north and out west translates to here as far as basics. Some stuff is different. I’ve had success using tips from a guy in north woods of Maine and another guy in North Dakota. A lot of the veterans on here helped me sort thru differences...like the fact most beaver here live in bank dens instead of big wood lodges like other places. I’ve used some baits and lures from various guys...can’t say I ever had something that “didn’t work.” I say that Bc when I didn’t catch something it usually had to do with something I did wrong. @41magnum is a mentor of mine and conveniently also a bait and lure maker. Every catch I’ve made that was baited or lured I used his stuff. Why? Bc he busted his hump calling and texting me and sending me things to get me started and I’d rather support a local fella of that caliber than a guy selling mass volume that I have no connection to. It’s like everything else you’ll find out. We all have our preferences. One guy will say a certain trap or lure or set sucks and another will say it’s the best. My question is do you have any critters in mind? When I started I was advised to focus on one, learn everything about it, and stick with it till I feel comfortable managing different sets for different critters .

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer

Thanks
The frustrating part for me, having the target animal almost step where it need to be caught, the addictive part is trying to out trick the trickster, the rewarding part was finally conecting on the catch. I have got into trapping so much, i dont't deer hunt near as much as i use to. I started land trapping and enjoyed it so much. My plan now is start water trapping and catching my own bait.

SkeeBo

Button Buck
Yeah like today I did some dirt holes, some scent posts, some flat sets and a blind set in a trail. You can look all them up..also pretty straightforward. I’m a newbie too but I just wanted you to realize how doable it is even if you don’t know anything starting off.a lot of stuff up north and out west translates to here as far as basics. Some stuff is different. I’ve had success using tips from a guy in north woods of Maine and another guy in North Dakota. A lot of the veterans on here helped me sort thru differences...like the fact most beaver here live in bank dens instead of big wood lodges like other places. I’ve used some baits and lures from various guys...can’t say I ever had something that “didn’t work.” I say that Bc when I didn’t catch something it usually had to do with something I did wrong. @41magnum is a mentor of mine and conveniently also a bait and lure maker. Every catch I’ve made that was baited or lured I used his stuff. Why? Bc he busted his hump calling and texting me and sending me things to get me started and I’d rather support a local fella of that caliber than a guy selling mass volume that I have no connection to. It’s like everything else you’ll find out. We all have our preferences. One guy will say a certain trap or lure or set sucks and another will say it’s the best. My question is do you have any critters in mind? When I started I was advised to focus on one, learn everything about it, and stick with it till I feel comfortable managing differenbbt sets for different critters .

Man you sound like you been in trapping school for a good while now....i reckon i will target coyote for the time being...

You make me feel like im in the right spot to start this trappin stuff

Thanks much!!!

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Man you sound like you been in trapping school for a good while now....i reckon i will target coyote for the time being...

You make me feel like im in the right spot to start this trappin stuff

Thanks much!!!

It’s just the addiction talking. I spend a lot of time both in the field and at the house reading and learning and asking questions

SkeeBo

Button Buck
The frustrating part for me, having the target animal almost step where it need to be caught, the addictive part is trying to out trick the trickster, the rewarding part was finally conecting on the catch. I have got into trapping so much, i dont't deer hunt near as much as i use to. I started land trapping and enjoyed it so much. My plan now is start water trapping and catching my own bait.

Slowed down on deer huntin!!!

It must be addicting if you say that!!!

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
Thats like me...i am like a sponge for info when it comes to learning somethin new i wanna get into.....
Well dude if you get to that basic trappers Ed class...they give you a trapping manual that’s like a half inch thick, plus other pamphlets and stuff. I’m not knocking hunters Ed by any means, but when I went to trappers Ed, I was damn near confused as to why they were willingly giving me so much material and info....AND took us in the field to do demonstrations on different sets...and skinning/fleshing.

SkeeBo

Button Buck
They probably dont want a bunch of jack legs goin out and just setting out a bunch of traps not knowing what heck they are doin...
Dont know if i will be able to go to a class....but i can def pick folks minds that have gone....

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
They probably dont want a bunch of jack legs goin out and just setting out a bunch of traps not knowing what heck they are doin...
Dont know if i will be able to go to a class....but i can def pick folks minds that have gone....

Very true. DVDs are good too. I like books Bc you can bring them in the field with you. “The dirt hole set and it’s variations” by Charles Dobbins is a great one and is super cheap on most websites

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer
Very true. DVDs are good too. I like books Bc you can bring them in the field with you. “The dirt hole set and it’s variations” by Charles Dobbins is a great one and is super cheap on most websites
Wasnt he from nc?
I think his son who makes lure is in Goldsboro. I use alot of his lure in my aera, and everything i use with Dobbins name on it works. 95% of my catches are on Dobbins lure and a good bait.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
I think his son who makes lure is in Goldsboro. I use alot of his lure in my aera, and everything i use with Dobbins name on it works. 95% of my catches are on Dobbins lure and a good bait.

Absolutely. I emailed Paul a few times and he was very helpful. His back breaker is great

newdeerhunter011

Eight Pointer
I learned a lot about trapping yotes just from watching YouTube videos. Last year was my first year trapping and I only caught 4 but learned a lot. Best advice I can give is to set on good sign, bed your traps solid with absolutely no movement of the trap, and be patient. Sometimes a trap will sit for weeks before it catches one. It’s frustrating but very addicting. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41magnum

Twelve Pointer
@41magnum is a mentor of mine and conveniently also a bait and lure maker. Every catch I’ve made that was baited or lured I used his stuff. Why? Bc he busted his hump calling and texting me and sending me things to get me started and I’d rather support a local fella of that caliber .

Thanks Chris, its students like you and several others make the efforts of us older guys feel appreciated and proud to pass along Americas oldest profession. (In 1600's - 1800's , Shiploads of beaver were sent back to England since theirs were trapped out).
I was blessed to have great teachers along my road and can't imagine not helping others.

SkeeBo

Button Buck
Yes sir...im using a phone but have access to a computer....

Ive been thinkin about getting into trapping... Just need some guidance on what to do..THE RIGHT WAY....

i have always liked the traditional ways of doing things or old school ways ....sooo an older fella that's been around the block a couple times can show me the ropes...

I will check out that site when i get a chance....

Was wonderin...what are the basic things i need to start trappin yotes?? Some people say dont buy cheap...but some of the cheap traps have a cult following...

One mans trash is another mans treasure i guess....

Ive never had success with anything cheap... But are traps different?

Anyways thanks for acknowledging my post hope yall have room under your wings for me

I wann have christmas everyday too!!!