Coyote Problem

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
We ve always had coyotes on the farm but lately they've exhibited some unusual and unsettling behavior. They are seen quite often during midday, sometimes in packs. My kids have encountered them almost stalking them while they ride around the trails and farm on the golf cart. And they seem to not be affected by human presence. The wife and kids are getting uneasy with being outside lately, especially with our small dachshund running around. The turkey, rabbit and deer problem seem to be healthy so I assume they've figured out digging in people's trash and scraps are easier than killing prey.

I keep a rifle or pistol on me or close by as much as possible but the right opportunity has yet to present itself, and once I get off my butt and again deer hunting I will take every shot on one I can.

What would be a good approach to start taking some out more consistently? Hunting over bait piles, calls, traps? Does the state have any trappers they utilize without calling animal control company? I'd even be open to letting a forum member come trap them and maybe working out a trade for their time.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They state will not get into your issue. You will have to have someone do it. That being said there would be plenty of trappers will to help you come Nov.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
We ve always had coyotes on the farm but lately they've exhibited some unusual and unsettling behavior. They are seen quite often during midday, sometimes in packs. My kids have encountered them almost stalking them while they ride around the trails and farm on the golf cart. And they seem to not be affected by human presence. The wife and kids are getting uneasy with being outside lately, especially with our small dachshund running around. The turkey, rabbit and deer problem seem to be healthy so I assume they've figured out digging in people's trash and scraps are easier than killing prey.

I keep a rifle or pistol on me or close by as much as possible but the right opportunity has yet to present itself, and once I get off my butt and again deer hunting I will take every shot on one I can.

What would be a good approach to start taking some out more consistently? Hunting over bait piles, calls, traps? Does the state have any trappers they utilize without calling animal control company? I'd even be open to letting a forum member come trap them and maybe working out a trade for their time.

Thanks in advance.

I wish I could freeze this post in time, and repost it on this site 100 years from now, where I feel 99% of the replies are "Are you stupid? You take kids and small dogs out past your driveway in coyote country?, They all got what they were asking for! We all know you are in their world as SOON as you walk outside!".

As fer your actual problem, I'm sorry I cannot help. I would be worried also. I truly do fear small children may become victims of yotes in my lifetime, and over the course of a few generations, that will become happenstance Similar to the fake "surprise" of how shark bitings are reported/viewed in current days.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
A few bullets down range and their behavior will most likely change. Does not mean they will not still be there, but they will be less visible. They are not likely to attack a human but small dogs and cats are definitely at risk.

The packs your family is seeing are probably just family a mated pair and pups. The pups will be dispersing pretty soon if they have not already. Coyotes are not pack animals like wolves. Does not mean you might not see more than a pair at times but their social structure is not a pack.

Trapping season opens Nov. 1 and you may find someone local willing to trap your property. Other than night vision hunting over bait, trapping is the most effective way to reduce numbers but even then, coyotes are here to stay. All we can do is try to manage them.

Next time you kill a deer take the gut pile and place it in a spot you have seen them. Make sure the wind is right and that you have a good varmit light as they will probably feed at night . If you have some calls even better. I like a rabbit in distress or a coyote locator call. A couple dead coyotes and some shots fired in their direction will definitely make them more cautious.

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Thanks for the replies. My oldest is chomping at the bit to shoot one, but he just now about to turn 12 and although he is very competent with a firearm, I'm not quite ready to turn him loose without supervision. He stays locked and loaded when I'm with him though. Hes like Arnold Swarzennegger in the movie Commando.

double

Twelve Pointer
People say there is no way to get rid of them but I have found that trying to trap them and hunting them will make them someone else’s problem quickly. When you start pressuring them they leave. They will eventually come back but the more pressure you put on them the longer they stay gone. On our family farm it takes about 3 nights of hunting and they go missing for a few months or so. They are just like any other animal and want an easy meal. If you make that meal risky they will move on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Get an established gut pile started and hunt it at night, even a cheap red LED light or green will suffice. Night vision is nice but not necessary. I know someone who killed 24 coyotes over a dead cow (or maybe it was a horse, can't remember) night hunting in Bedford County PA. Coyotes are getting thick in so many parts of East of the Mississippi River now...

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
I was setting up my two person ladder Tuesday, and was clearing some limbs and brush.

Took a second to relax sitting on the bottom step and noted two that were circling me in the tall brush. This is not uncommon as of late.

When they realized my size, I think they thought the better of it.

A couple years ago I was charged by two when crawling on my hands and knees out of a cutover. The first one died at close range - an event that charted 9.47 on the sphincter factor. My gun jammed and the second took to flight. (I sold that gun).

Coyotes are smart, so you can try calls, bait, decoys, etc - just vary your methods. They get savvy.