Coyote chasing turkeys

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
I would put some decoys out and go to calling, that SOB would have to die. I would be taking a 223, 243, 204, 17HMR, 22, 06 some with me for long range. KILL EM.. to many young deer and turkeys going in that things belly. You see one there is 10 you don't see. They are constantly hunting and killing. Shoot fast on them.

44spec

Four Pointer
I shot a male Saturday that was with another coyote and they were circling me. I had been calling for about 30 minutes and they came up the creek bottom and spilt one on each side of me. He was too close for #4 nitro mag. I can say he was one of the stinkiest coyotes I have ever killed.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Heard of multiple hunts this season where yotes came running into gobbling birds. They are getting very bad!

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
I know the popular wisdom is that we can't kill enough of them to make much difference but I agree with the other posters. Shoot as many as you can whenever you can. Back in 2012 I shot one that was trailing a hen that passed within range. I would love to take a few more out of the food chain.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
They come to hunters calling turkeys. There is no doubt that to me they hunt turkeys, especially in the spring when turkeys are more vocal. I don't turkey hunt but I've had friends kill them coming to them calling and have heard stories of it happening on a regular basis. I wish I could use electronic turkey calls and my rifle to hunt coyotes during turkey season. Legally, I can but I don't want to be trying to explain that one, little long trying to explain it in front of a judge.

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
Killed one a couple of years ago that came right into my calling after first light 2 of them circled my decoys bigger one came with in 10' of them ,big mistake shot him rite in the face at about 20 yards.

ThrillofDaChase

Ten Pointer
Shot one almost 5 years ago coming into me calling. I really need to hunt them some after the season goes out. My buddy in Oxford has had someone trapping them on his property and it has helped.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I had one chase a deer past me once....first yote I ever seen.
We have been seeing more and more here the last few years.

sent from...... Tapatalk

Thomas270

Ten Pointer
The only coyotes I have seen in a hunting situation has been during turkey hunting. Never had the chance to get one in range. I will take a coyote over a turkey any day, there ain't no telling how many critters you save just taking one out.

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
Coyotes aren't very efficient turkey predators. Yes they will come in to investigate a stationary hen yelping but actually catching and killing adult turkeys is another story. There have been studies of coyote scat and birds of any kind made up an extremely low percentage of a coyotes diet. I'm not saying don't shoot them, because I shoot every one I see but they don't do the damage to turkeys that they get blamed for. Now bobcats are a different story, they are turkey killing machines.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Coyotes aren't very efficient turkey predators. Yes they will come in to investigate a stationary hen yelping but actually catching and killing adult turkeys is another story. There have been studies of coyote scat and birds of any kind made up an extremely low percentage of a coyotes diet. I'm not saying don't shoot them, because I shoot every one I see but they don't do the damage to turkeys that they get blamed for. Now bobcats are a different story, they are turkey killing machines.

Exactly !
Never seen a coyote catch a turkey, Ive seen them chase 'em...but thats about it.
Coyotes get all the blame, but bobcats and raptors kill much, much more. I still kill every coyote I can, every little bit helps.

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
They come to hunters calling turkeys. There is no doubt that to me they hunt turkeys, especially in the spring when turkeys are more vocal. I don't turkey hunt but I've had friends kill them coming to them calling and have heard stories of it happening on a regular basis. I wish I could use electronic turkey calls and my rifle to hunt coyotes during turkey season. Legally, I can but I don't want to be trying to explain that one, little long trying to explain it in front of a judge.
I'm heading to WVA to hunt with a buddy this weekend, 4 years ago he was bit in the face by one. Took 40+ stitches to sew him up. Didn't get a shot off at it.. Had to get the rabies shot with it, never do know this time of the year. They will come to your calls, last year I killed one at 10 yards coming right to the gun barrel looking for some breast meat I recon..

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I've seen 10x more coyotes turkey hunting then I've ever seen deer hunting, and I deer hunt twice as much. They've come to calling, others to decoy at 10 steps, others to the gobbler I'm calling, others to my footsteps in the leaves near the turkey roosts. I've also spooked a turkey and 2 minutes later spooked a coyote from same spot, yote was stalking the turkey that was coming to my calls.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Due to the frequency coyotes are seen hunting turkeys, I'm betting they do catch some, they would not waste energy hunting something they never catch.

Brad_Colvin

Eight Pointer
They are constantly hunting something and they are opportunists. If they hear a hen,or turkey for that matter calling every 10 minutes from the same exact spot for an hour they are going to come investigate. I'm sure they catch some,but I would bet the one's they catch are sick or injured already. The studies show that their diet is primarily fur bearing animals. I have seen countless piles of coyote scat and can count on one hand the piles that have had feathers in them.

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
I'm sure they know that this time of year, a wet stinking hen on a nest in the dark is easy pickings. Also looking for brand new fawns.

Only coyote I ever killed came to me on a string while I was turkey hunting.

quackNcluck

Six Pointer
I have had trouble with coyotes myself howling at first light this year, shot a male last Saturday running full speed at my decoy

pir8rn

Six Pointer
Me and a buddy are going to take a few out after turkey season is over. Gonna bring along the ARs, so no one can say we don't use them as "hunting rifles"...