Cows gone wild on Jordan

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I don't know about shooting a full size cow. Slaughterhouses aren't allowed to receive dead animals for processing, except for deer, so you would have to process them sumvamitches yourself. How big were they?
I shot a rogue 800-lb steer for a local rancher a couple of years ago and it took 3 grown men and a whole lot of struggle to get that thing loaded into the back of a pickup truck.
Maybe it was differet 15 years ago but I have a neighbor who had a cow that kept getting out and staying next to highway 96 and he got tired of it. Called me one morning and told me to bring my rifle. He said that we were going to stop that cow's ramblinig. Fortunately, she wasn't next to the road but an 06 behing the ear dropped her on the wrong side of the fence. He pulled up with the tractor and chain and we hoisted her up with the bucket, rode to the back of his place and skinned and gutted and lowered her on a trailer. Took her to a local processor who hung her in the cooler. Next week there was beef all around.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I don't know about shooting a full size cow. Slaughterhouses aren't allowed to receive dead animals for processing, except for deer, so you would have to process them sumvamitches yourself. How big were they?
I shot a rogue 800-lb steer for a local rancher a couple of years ago and it took 3 grown men and a whole lot of struggle to get that thing loaded into the back of a pickup truck.

I ain’t skeered of that,,,don’t need no stinking processors,,,,

JoeR

Eight Pointer
It's kinda funny that this thread started. I was hunting a farm where I trap and I hear something coming through the brush. I don't hear that well, so it's definitely being noisy. I finally start seeing some black and think it must be a bear coming in. No wonder it's so noisy. I'm still catching glimpses of it and thinking it must be a mom and some cubs coming through, because it's too big to be a single bear in there. Then I finally get a good look at it. I called the farmer to have him check his herd. After a while he calls me back and they're all accounted for. It's not his.
Here's a quick vid of it.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
what!.......first thing I would do is to call animal control....wouldnt even think about shooting them ...you may have a farmer that has been looking for these. and they are a lot of money to him. 2nd I would get on google maps and find the nearest pasture and call him or ride there and inquire.

you find whos cows these are and you may just get some acreage on the backside of his farm to hunt.
worst case you just help a farmer out.

Crazy , why would you even think of harvesting someones escaped cow? ah dont answer.

kilacam

Six Pointer
what!.......first thing I would do is to call animal control....wouldnt even think about shooting them ...you may have a farmer that has been looking for these. and they are a lot of money to him. 2nd I would get on google maps and find the nearest pasture and call him or ride there and inquire.

you find whos cows these are and you may just get some acreage on the backside of his farm to hunt.

Crazy , why would you even think of harvesting someones escaped cow? ah dont answer.
Like I already stated, never really intended on shooting one, but I was curious about the legality of it. I had questions, I found answers.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
maybe some of us were just having fun and making jokes,,,

but there are such things as feral cows,,,, same as with pigs,,,

now at Jordan? don't know,,,,
My point is/was they are someone's cows. They are not really feral cows. Only lost cows . I have relatives that it has taken them weeks to find a few lost cows. Reporting it is the common sense thing to do ...

jcannon

Twelve Pointer

I love beef, but would rather eat a hawk.

kilacam

Six Pointer
Walked up on a black cow in a food plot on Lejeune one time. Joker was more skittish than any deer I have ever seen!! Sounded like a bear crashing through the woods when he spooked.
That's exactly how these cows were. Once they saw me, I never saw them again, straight took off through that thicket.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
tbd,,,, hogs used to belong to someone as well,,, till they multiplied

time will tell on those wayward cows
think bout your turtle that escaped.....what if I saw it fox squirrel hunting, knew it was not native and then I thought hey "turtle soup, that would be a LOT of turtle soup !!!!"

all I am saying is any person should know those are/were someone's and what is right and try to do the right thing.

IF I saw your turtle in the woods I would call NCWRC, animal control or maybe post it on craigslist under lost and found.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
think bout your turtle that escaped.....what if I saw it fox squirrel hunting, knew it was not native and then I thought hey "turtle soup, that would be a LOT of turtle soup !!!!"

all I am saying is any person should know those are/were someone's and what is right and try to do the right thing.

IF I saw your turtle in the woods I would call NCWRC, animal control or maybe post it on craigslist under lost and found.

he’s a tortoise, Not a turtle

and if thst would of happened id blame myself for letting him get away and not the folks who hypothetically ate him

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
What about that deer someone posted, was it Sitka or something like that? not native therefore must be someones pet

anyone ever caught an invasive species of fish? i mean come on, that used to be someones pet should try and find the owner

and before you go all viral i'm going to take a chill pill

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Maybe coming to the piedmont soon??