Cowards

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
SO YOU COWARDS think you're tough because you jumped me ??? Waited for me to be alone... in the dark of the parking lot??? 😠 I still handled all of you, left 3 of you on the ground laid out in blood!!! You're lucky I don't have any marks on my face. I have some on my arms and legs but so what!!!! I bet you didn't expect me to swing back since it was 6 against one. You should have known better!!! I might be in my 50's, but I have a lot of fight left in me! Yeah I'm not gonna lie, I was getting a little tired, but I kept on swinging and made sure you got yours... Little Punks!!! All I have to say is you started this and I finished it.

BTW...

I hate mosquitoes. Mosquitoes are not my friends...🦟

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
ThermaCell and Permethryn are my bodyguards. They're real good friends to keep close.

Jim

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Got assaulted yesterday too, but in broad daylight. Went to pull a camera and they fell in on me along with some kind of gnats swarming my face. I wear shorts so the ticks will be more visible and I can intercept them, but the bloodsuckers made me pay.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
dang horse flies is what are aggravating Earl, Kelty and I lately,,, dang things just ran us back into the house,,,,

way to stand your ground @Mack in N.C. ,,, didn't give an inch to them hoodlums,,,,,,

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
SO YOU COWARDS think you're tough because you jumped me ??? Waited for me to be alone... in the dark of the parking lot??? 😠 I still handled all of you, left 3 of you on the ground laid out in blood!!! You're lucky I don't have any marks on my face. I have some on my arms and legs but so what!!!! I bet you didn't expect me to swing back since it was 6 against one. You should have known better!!! I might be in my 50's, but I have a lot of fight left in me! Yeah I'm not gonna lie, I was getting a little tired, but I kept on swinging and made sure you got yours... Little Punks!!! All I have to say is you started this and I finished it.

BTW...

I hate mosquitoes. Mosquitoes are not my friends...🦟

LOL. Me and the horseflies at a certain point on my morning run.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
but why? heck had me reaching for the phone to call tanglefoot!
Tried to add a good website but this damned Firefox tripped me up. Just Google using blue hats to catch deer flies and look for a site from Pinterest. It has a ton of tricks.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Tried to add a good website but this damned Firefox tripped me up. Just Google using blue hats to catch deer flies and look for a site from Pinterest. It has a ton of tricks.

I got them - and the UFL link from the Prof on his research,,, the link you had didn't work for me but I google-fu'd it

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
What are those dang flys called in Duplin Co. that circle your head & then land & bite? Used to top & sucker tobacco for my Uncle when I was 12 wearing a big straw hat & a Swisher Sweet cigar to keep them @ bay. We called them "Yellow Flies". Dang annoying rascals!

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I hit something the other evening on my leg and it looked like I had been in a fight as much blood that was on me.

dc bigdaddy

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What are those dang flys called in Duplin Co. that circle your head & then land & bite? Used to top & sucker tobacco for my Uncle when I was 12 wearing a big straw hat & a Swisher Sweet cigar to keep them @ bay. We called them "Yellow Flies". Dang annoying rascals!

we have yellow flies, dog flies, house flies and horse flies of different sizes and skeeters. Some are Turkey skeeters

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

We called em "sweat flies"....and yep, they are aggravating...

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Also called "deer flies" by some. They're usually gone after the first big thunderstorm in June for some strange reason. Just scraped up some Google Foo; seems that the deer flies only live 30 to 60 days so it likely has nothing to do with a thunderstorm. That's probably a combination of coincidence and folklore.

Last edited:

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

yellow flies is what everyone I know call them,,, deer fly variant,,,,,
wicked little beasts,,,, I've swallowed my share that got in my mouth while running,,, circling your head like vultures,,, swat them and they just laugh unless you hit them hard enough to about knock yourself out,,

bane of spring to me,,,,

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
they are called dog flies in NC........
Must be a regional thing for they're called yellow flies in the part of NC I grew up in. When floating the swamps trying to fool a fish or two we'd cut a short bushy maple branch and shove the butt down the back of our shirts so it formed a leafy crown over and around our heads and that did a tolerable job of keeping them off of you with the exception of your arms. Two of their favorite spots to bite you is the backs of your elbows and the tops of your hands so we always tried to keep our arms covered.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
they are called dog flies in NC........
Love 'ur post. I thought some of those "hood low britches" may have tried to assault u & u got the best of them. Those brown skeeters only come out @ night, but them black'uns are liable to attack @ anytime. Worrisome lot they r!

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
We call them May flies…….. then MFin May flies in June

People think I’m crazy when I’m mowing. Swatting and hitting myself…..