Countdown begins

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
If it's like pickled northern pike (and the recipe's are about the same) they go well on a saltine with a dash of hotsauce or even better, horseradish.
I bet cajun spices or blackened redfish seasoning would do as well. Never shad fished before just netting gizzards and herring for bait. I wonder if bluefish could be a shad substitute

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
I bet cajun spices or blackened redfish seasoning would do as well. Never shad fished before just netting gizzards and herring for bait. I wonder if bluefish could be a shad substitute
Jacks as everyone calls them here are the best.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Well a few more days of deer season and then we hope we avoid any major flooding issues like the last severeal seasons. Got a new rod and reel for xmas so I'm ready to get after them.

@Dick maybe we get together and catch some bait for some catfishing when the run starts

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I am ready for some shad. will be keeping some more for bait this year.

we should do a float trip. have 2 kayaks.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
I am ready for some shad. will be keeping some more for bait this year.

we should do a float trip. have 2 kayaks.
I'll be able to fish more this year since my kiddo has gone from 3 hours of preschool to a full day of kindergarten.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
@woodmoose @Dick seems right on schedule with the high water. Water by the airport is where it's low was already up into the bushes a bit. Don't think we hit flood stage but it will be close.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220108-163220_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20220108-163220_Samsung Internet.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 5

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Will be checking out the Cape fear tributaries Saturday. Haven't heard of any being caught but it's pretty much a forgotten past time here .

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
might try tomorrow if I can get things done today. Daughter has drivers ed that started today. 6am till school starts.🙄
so may hit it early tomorrow to see what's happening

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
might try tomorrow if I can get things done today. Daughter has drivers ed that started today. 6am till school starts.🙄
so may hit it early tomorrow to see what's happening
I'm looking at a try on Saturday. Hopefully get a couple bites.

Ever hear of anyone fishing for them in Washington off the Pier?

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
How far do they come up the cape fear? I know they have done the ladders at etown* and the other dam down that way. Can’t recall the name now.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Ever hear of anyone fishing for them in Washington off the

Ever hear of anyone fishing for them in Washington off the Pier?
no, but don't go there often enough to know. I'd think the bite would be better in more concentrated areas. river is wide there.

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I made a few casts sunday in Greenville. it was cold, very few casts. plan on trying next day or so.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Slow bite today. Managed about 5 in as many hours so not too hot. Couple nice ones though. Best hit of the day was @Dick just off the pier as a big shad rolled up and ate his spoon as we were both watching. Awesome strike.

@CarolinaReaper come on down and learn to shad fish and watch the Greenway walking trail by ECU. Might find Mrs right sooner than later!!

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yes, the Greenway was in full bloom today!😊

Out fished by Shaggy. Biden must dine something to the fish....🤣

Watching that shad hit the spoon was special, but was the only one I hooked.

It will be epic this afternoon I'm certain, I will not be there.🤣
20220303_100827.jpg