• 20200212_125214.jpg
    20200212_125214.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 20200212_125234.jpg
    20200212_125234.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 41

Luv2Boutdoors!

Ten Pointer
is shad fishing just for fun,( catch and release), or keep some for cut bait , eat them ?

It is a blast! I do keep some for cut bait for fishing during the summer. Ill even bring an extra pole with me and cut up the shad on shore and fish. Doesn't get much fresher than that.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Think going be tough fishing Roanoke for a while. They turning alot of water loose at the dam. I see they had the landing by the paper mill at Roanokerapids closed yesterday becAuse of high water

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
With the warm weather there could be some up to Rocky Mount on the Tar. I know some are usually caught up there by now.

Fresh shad are really good to eat, if you can figure out how to clean them. There is a video on You Tube, that show how to fillet them and remove the "herring bones". I want to try it.

C52

Eight Pointer
Help my out a little. I’ve done very little Shad fishing but hope to give it a good go this year. The go to seems to be a Shad dart with a spoon trailer. Other than that, wouldn’t anything small like crappie jigs, beatle spins and stuff like that do a good job?

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Help my out a little. I’ve done very little Shad fishing but hope to give it a good go this year. The go to seems to be a Shad dart with a spoon trailer. Other than that, wouldn’t anything small like crappie jigs, beatle spins and stuff like that do a good job?

I throw a double jig with about 18 inches between them. One white and one green or pink until I see what they are liking. Theres videos out there to show to do it.

I cast out and retrieve slow and catch my fair share.

Need the tar to come down fast.

Luv2Boutdoors!

Ten Pointer

Like Shaggy said, any tandem rig with darters, spoons and/or 1-3" grubs will do the trick. I always did a constant, slowish, retrieve. But last year I saw other guys drifting there rigs and were catching them while I wasn't.

Best success I've had are the pink jig heads with the sparkly chartreuse 1" grub on a tandem rig. Walmart has them. Think its the 1/16oz.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Like Shaggy said, any tandem rig with darters, spoons and/or 1-3" grubs will do the trick. I always did a constant, slowish, retrieve. But last year I saw other guys drifting there rigs and were catching them while I wasn't.

Best success I've had are the pink jig heads with the sparkly chartreuse 1" grub on a tandem rig. Walmart has them. Think its the 1/16oz.

Last year I was showing a guy how tie the tandem rig and I had just made a cast. I just set my pole down and let the grubs sink and hooked up.

Last year I caught most of mine on a white with a split chartreuse tail grub.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Last year color didnt seem to matter. I ran a white grub and a green grub.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200216-102715_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200216-102715_Gallery.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 43

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
The fish are being caught in most of the rivers right now. May go next sunday as I am supposed to go rabbit hunting Saturday. some limits caught this weekend.

JD1107

Been at it since noon and have 5 in the box. Bites a bit slower today. Run off from the snows got the water flowing more then yesterday.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
The flow is really strong today at the Town common so it's hard to get the bait down I did manage to catch one and hook another up in the slack water and I only fished for about 30 minutes

Attachments

• 20200223_090815.jpg
    20200223_090815.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:

JD1107

My buddy and I caught 20 between the two of us Friday and yesterday then I caught 8 more today. All In the same spot on the Tar. Pink and white is all we’ve used. Friday was by far the best day. Took me 4 hrs to catch 8 today with a few hook up that got away. Keeping those co workers happy that’s for sure! F5F381FF-5E39-4AC2-ACC3-2156DD8E4499.jpeg

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
My buddy and I caught 20 between the two of us Friday and yesterday then I caught 8 more today. All In the same spot on the Tar. Pink and white is all we’ve used. Friday was by far the best day. Took me 4 hrs to catch 8 today with a few hook up that got away. Keeping those co workers happy that’s for sure! View attachment 41094

Need the flow to slowdown by Thursday morning when I get to go again.

JD1107

I think if things slowed down just a bit commons would be on fire. I was down stream some and it wasn’t moving as fast. From the sounds of it, Falkland was good this weekend as well.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Catching some brutes in greenville. I was there to play with my son at the park but watched a guy catch 2 really big males in just a couple minutes.

Hoping the heavy rain stays away tonight because i have a 3 hour window to fish in the morning.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Those stump bass are hard to reel in

Current is still way strong so I'll give town commons a good 2 to 3 hour soaking in the morning. Got a good feeling about the morning if we keep any heavy rain out of here tonight.