Countdown begins

timber

Twelve Pointer
Slow bite today. Managed about 5 in as many hours so not too hot. Couple nice ones though. Best hit of the day was @Dick just off the pier as a big shad rolled up and ate his spoon as we were both watching. Awesome strike.

@CarolinaReaper come on down and learn to shad fish and watch the Greenway walking trail by ECU. Might find Mrs right sooner than later!!

Any roe in them

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Ya'll boys should get one heck of a push of fish shortly. They have been pushing in the inlet right good the past week. There's more big hickories around locally than i've seen as far back as i can recall. We had half a dozen yesterday that were pushing 4lbs.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Ya'll boys should get one heck of a push of fish shortly. They have been pushing in the inlet right good the past week. There's more big hickories around locally than i've seen as far back as i can recall. We had half a dozen yesterday that were pushing 4lbs.
we caught about 80 in a couple hr in weldon sunday and I got some over 3 lbs. the avg size of them was the biggest I have seen in a while.

Big North Carolina Hickory Shad.jpg

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Not sure how the bites been on the Tar the last week or so because i havent been able to make it out. May try some on Monday if i get a window. Anybody having any better luck than earlier when the bite was so slow.

Luv2Boutdoors!

Ten Pointer
river was high yesterday. Went for about 45 min until I casted into a tree and lost my rig. Wasn't many places to stand and fish either

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Well its right around the corner. Luckily the river level is up and its running faster than it was during the fall. Hopefully we have a better run on the Tar than we did last year

downeastnc

Old Mossy Horns
Well its right around the corner. Luckily the river level is up and its running faster than it was during the fall. Hopefully we have a better run on the Tar than we did last year

With Wildwood park now being open there will be a lot of riverbank to fish from....

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Going to Florida next week or in 3 weeks (depends on a few things at work this week and the projected weather) .....if I go next week and get 1 fish off my bucket list I may go for Shad on the famous Shad alley On the St Johns river, they are running hard there right now.

St Johns river shad are totally different. same but different. On all shad rivers above the St Johns the shad come down the coast and wait at the river mouth until the temp WARMS to a certain degrees and then they run upstream.
However on The St Johns run the shad get to the mouth and wait at the mouth until the the river COOLS to a certain degrees and then they run.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
Going to Florida next week or in 3 weeks (depends on a few things at work this week and the projected weather) .....if I go next week and get 1 fish off my bucket list I may go for Shad on the famous Shad alley On the St Johns river, they are running hard there right now.

St Johns river shad are totally different. same but different. On all shad rivers above the St Johns the shad come down the coast and wait at the river mouth until the temp WARMS to a certain degrees and then they run upstream.
However on The St Johns run the shad get to the mouth and wait at the mouth until the the river COOLS to a certain degrees and then they run.
I never knew that. I have talked to people about shad when I've fished down there but no one ever mentioned it. Probably didn't want me know. Thanks

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Finished 2022 with a rainfall deficit of around 16 inches for the year and now right on time the rains show up and swell the river as shad season is right around the corner

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
Finished 2022 with a rainfall deficit of around 16 inches for the year and now right on time the rains show up and swell the river as shad season is right around the corner
I wish we could say that in my area. We haven’t had a rainfall deficit in almost a decade