Countdown begins

Noodleman

Button Buck
Hey what would y'all choice rig or bait be if you're fishing a dam and that waters moving fast, tuckertown dam in specific

timber

Twelve Pointer
Seeing some people trying them in the Nottoway and Roanoke river around Weldon. Probably more just slinging baits than catching.

shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Water was down enough today that I tried it down at Town Commons in Greenville managed to pick up nine in about an hour and a half

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Might be a dumb question……but does anyone eat Shad? Or are they just kept for bait for a later date?

easy reccipe here
Select a moderate-sized shad, dress carefully although this is not as important as some might think, although it is best that it be fairly well done. Remove the head,open the fish and spread it out on a thin flat board a trifle wider than the shad is when he is expanded, the fleshside of the fish to be next to the board. WIth a few small nails fasten the fish to the board, give it a dash of salt and pepper and slip it into a hot oven. Baste it occasionally while it is baking, which will require about two hours, after which the fish may be removed from the oven and prepared for the table.
The rest is easy. Pull out the nails, throw away the shad and eat the board.

Duckmauler dhc

Old Mossy Horns
easy reccipe here
Select a moderate-sized shad, dress carefully although this is not as important as some might think, although it is best that it be fairly well done. Remove the head,open the fish and spread it out on a thin flat board a trifle wider than the shad is when he is expanded, the fleshside of the fish to be next to the board. WIth a few small nails fasten the fish to the board, give it a dash of salt and pepper and slip it into a hot oven. Baste it occasionally while it is baking, which will require about two hours, after which the fish may be removed from the oven and prepared for the table.
The rest is easy. Pull out the nails, throw away the shad and eat the board.
I had a feeling this was coming when i posted the question :ROFLMAO: they don't sound too appetizing to me but I wouldn't be above trying it

timber

Twelve Pointer
Have eaten them years ago. About like a herring. Fillet them and they still be full of bones. Fry them to the consistency of a craker where you can eat the bones. Anything less done than that you might be making trip to ER to get bone out of throat. No doubt the best part is the roe rolled in some corn meal then dropped in some hot lard for a few minutes.

Woods and water

Ten Pointer
We eat them here, more of a tradition than anything. Slice steaks thin and fry till crisp like a herring. We fry the roe , fry the fish and eat with collards . Drink plenty of Budweiser. If done properly you should wake up having to piss around 1am with heartburn , shortly after you should feel the Colon cleanse start . Good times , especially if you are camping on the creek bank .

todobien

Eight Pointer
I occasionally bake American (white)shad low and slow. It dissolves most the small bones. Some older folks i know really like it probably takes them down memory lane

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
No doubt the best part is the roe rolled in some corn meal then dropped in some hot lard for a few minutes.

Roe is good eats

Pickling the meat makes good eats as well, but ya have to have some Nordic blood I reckon,,,,