Could virus affect turkey season?

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Several states are closing campgrounds on public hunting areas. Illinois is first I'vee seen actually close off some public land not all only some. Were still 3 weeks away if they were close gameland camping I'd be up creek. I know one state i had plans to hint allows hunting in state forest and was told not to count on it being open its later opener than ours so maybe this will die down by then. I see NC state parks are closing camping maybe to protect staff but what would be purpose of closing primitive gameland camping?

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Several states are closing campgrounds on public hunting areas. Illinois is first I'vee seen actually close off some public land not all only some. Were still 3 weeks away if they were close gameland camping I'd be up creek. I know one state i had plans to hint allows hunting in state forest and was told not to count on it being open its later opener than ours so maybe this will die down by then. I see NC state parks are closing camping maybe to protect staff but what would be purpose of closing primitive gameland camping?

Folks “congregating”... not just hunters. City folks trying to escape the city or”vacation”...

MS has already shut down their state parks. Saw it on the latest THP episode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I wonder if sleeping in the truck at the gate constitutes camping?

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Heck I don't know if anyone will be working to check you read where staff hours are being cut in one state and preferring no close contact unless serious offense. Seen Fla has closed camping on their public land as well with season in full swing

buckman84

Eight Pointer
Heck I don't know if anyone will be working to check you read where staff hours are being cut in one state and preferring no close contact unless serious offense. Seen Fla has closed camping on their public land as well with season in full swing
That's where we were heading after opener. Planned on doing some hunting down there while we were on vacation too. But no dice!

30/06

Twelve Pointer
It’s probably more of an oversight deal with staff hours being cut. Stupid if you ask me, every doc I’ve seen on TV has suggested getting outdoors as one of the best defenses. KY has shut down a bunch of boat ramps, crappie fisherman are pissed!

KrisB

Ten Pointer
The WRC has a message in red letters at the top of the event cancelations/postponements due to COVID-19 web page that says there's misinformation circulating about hunting seasons on social media and that no hunting seasons in NC have been closed.

I think the hunting seasons will definitely stay open. It's one of the few activities where you're trying to keep away from other people already.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
The WRC has a message in red letters at the top of the event cancelations/postponements due to COVID-19 web page that says there's misinformation circulating about hunting seasons on social media and that no hunting seasons in NC have been closed.

I think the hunting seasons will definitely stay open. It's one of the few activities where you're trying to keep away from other people already.
What might get affected is travel shutdown except for essential personnel hope not but its being thought about

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
What I was wondering is like in Graham county no travel before 6 AM unless you camp you not likely to get on bird on roost on public then you gotta think about them other states clising campgrounds hopefully that won't apply to ntnl forest. I don't see big impact on private if your off work but could complicate public or hunts before work but we will just have to get creative

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I don't think anyone would question a guy if he called in sick for a couple weeks quarantine. LOL Turkeys are gonna catch hell.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Keep thinking that. Most of the states that have already panicked have dem. governors. Guess what we have, I would almost bet to it gets here we will follow suit and close GL to everything except permit hunts like the rest of the ones with dems.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
Keep thinking that. Most of the states that have already panicked have dem. governors. Guess what we have, I would almost bet to it gets here we will follow suit and close GL to everything except permit hunts like the rest of the ones with dems.

Deleted. Not worth it.

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
What I was wondering is like in Graham county no travel before 6 AM unless you camp you not likely to get on bird on roost on public then you gotta think about them other states clising campgrounds hopefully that won't apply to ntnl forest. I don't see big impact on private if your off work but could complicate public or hunts before work but we will just have to get creative
The actual campgrounds on NF in NC are closed. Not sure if it’ll expand into no camping over all.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
The actual campgrounds on NF in NC are closed. Not sure if it’ll expand into no camping over all.
My fear for sure there I'm off all week I'm hoping primitive camping stays open that's what I usually do we'll know in couple weeks

ahales

Four Pointer
So if they have a statewide stay at home shutdown does that affect going hunting? To be sure if you could go for a run or walk, you could go hunting away from everybody.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
So if they have a statewide stay at home shutdown does that affect going hunting? To be sure if you could go for a run or walk, you could go hunting away from everybody.
So far so good on that front I was worried they would follow Illinois route and other states on public camping areas so far as I know gameland camps that are not maintained are open so at worse you can go camp and hunt as much as want even with a crazy curfew 9r stay at home. Now if you driving and they do it who knows just wait see if it gets inforced the cops could just ignore it I'd take my chances

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Shelter in place orders seem to be county by county and municipality by municipality