Could virus affect turkey season?

nchunter2

Eight Pointer
I have made a personal decision to just comply with regulations that have sprung forth from the virus outbreak. Don't care if I can get away with anything or whether the rules are enforceable.

This is for the greater good, and personally I don't care if I kill another turkey or not. I have killed about 15 over the last 10 years and more before that. To each their own. God bless and stay healthy.
Great, you can virtue signal while I go turkey hunting. I'll be further away from folks than you, but whatever makes you feel better.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
If you find out please post here. I have some time off and was going to head that way this year.
Add McDowell county to list of no camping in Pisgah I'd expect more to follow by end week wouldn't surprise me if all stopped. They are letting counties declare it and county deputies responsible to enforce it. Also saying avoid high risk activities where does this end?

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Add McDowell county to list of no camping in Pisgah I'd expect more to follow by end week wouldn't surprise me if all stopped. They are letting counties declare it and county deputies responsible to enforce it. Also saying avoid high risk activities where does this end?
it's a race to the bottom as to how much they can "protect" us.

Reactions: jug

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
Due to the covid-19 and all these restrictions, I been put on a 4-10 schedule. Will be nice to have the 3 days off to hunt some when the season opens. I can get in 1 day of honey-do's and 2 of hunting.
Burned up my vacation early this year (only had 5 days) due to my wife's back surgery and her followup appts. (Well worth it, 6 weeks in and she' doing way better.)
Normally only get to hunt Saturday's.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
I saw as many people this past weekend as I do during the opening of deer season. Lots of people want to get outside and headed to their hunt camps. Stripers are headed up so people are out on the Roanoke. People are going to do what they want and will continue to travel away from home for recreation. There have been a good deal of angry social media post the past few days towards people moving into areas that they do not live. I am glad that NC passed the Right to Hunt Law two years ago. This gives us added protection during times like this.

Last edited:

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Gordon Myers just sent out an email stating that there would be additional closures if people do not practice safe social distancing. My guess is that they will close boat ramps.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Gordon Myers just sent out an email stating that there would be additional closures if people do not practice safe social distancing. My guess is that they will close boat ramps.
Many of the ramps aren't state owned, those were the ones he was referring to. The governor would be the one that would order the others which I am sure would follow quickly.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've always had trouble with being told what to do at least that's what my momma has said😁
Me to, but you can bet ur azz it didn't involve my momma and dad. They instilled a two word response in me at an early age, yes sir/mam that carried on for most intents and purposes throughout their life.

Now, I have been known to buck the system otherwise at many levels. And I could tell you first hand how even though it felt good at the time, probably wasn't the wisest thing in the end for me. LOL

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Me to, but you can bet ur azz it didn't involve my momma and dad. They instilled a two word response in me at an early age, yes sir/mam that carried on for most intents and purposes throughout their life.

Now, I have been known to buck the system otherwise at many levels. And I could tell you first hand how even though it felt good at the time, probably wasn't the wisest thing in the end for me. LOL
Took me a couple quality arse whippings but I figured same out with my old man. My nickname as kid was hardhead they said I was hardest headed kid they'd seen basically I didn't have much sense as young kid

buckman84

Eight Pointer
Took me a couple quality arse whippings but I figured same out with my old man. My nickname as kid was hardhead they said I was hardest headed kid they'd seen basically I didn't have much sense as young kid
Hard head makes a soft a$$, that's what I was told as a chap!

pir8rn

Six Pointer
My brother and I have a permit for opening day at gameland and we're going to camp out because it's four hours from me. Sad to hear GL camping is closed.

Guess we can sleep in the truck, right?!
It's not 'camping' if we don't set up the tent...

timber

Twelve Pointer
Was in VA this morning and they were putting out on the radio that you need hunting and fishing license in VA. Guess been spreading on Facebook that because of virus you didn’t need either now. They must have thought people were buying into the Facebook bs

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
My brother and I have a permit for opening day at gameland and we're going to camp out because it's four hours from me. Sad to hear GL camping is closed.

It'll all depend on how frequent they check and how out of way you can get would be my bet I'd find most secluded spot possible.

brknarrow1970

Six Pointer
And now my TN trip is a goner, not because of the virus but my buddy has corp executives in town and will remain through the weekend, bummed but glad waited till the last day to purchase the license. May still try another weekend before it is all done and said

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
And now my TN trip is a goner, not because of the virus but my buddy has corp executives in town and will remain through the weekend, bummed but glad waited till the last day to purchase the license. May still try another weekend before it is all done and said

you're nicer than me,,,,I'd go and tell him what a great time he missed!

that is unless he's the one with the land connections,,,,

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer

yeah, I ended up finding the complete list and basically....its all shut down from a camping perspective in national forests in NC. Here is the list in case anyone hasn't seen it. ugh. I might just go an camp in the truck but was going to bring my son so not sure what I am going to do. Might just stick to the sorry ass uwharries again this year. we'll see.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/nfsnc/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD715959

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
yeah, I ended up finding the complete list and basically....its all shut down from a camping perspective in national forests in NC. Here is the list in case anyone hasn't seen it. ugh. I might just go an camp in the truck but was going to bring my son so not sure what I am going to do. Might just stick to the sorry ass uwharries again this year. we'll see.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/nfsnc/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD715959

Outside of Burke and McDowell you can backpack in still, that’s my plan next Friday.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
do us a favor and get one to gobble at night from your camp/ shelter. I always thought that was unique.

Shoot, it’s a miracle if I can get one to gobble any time I hunt the stupid things 😂.

Funny story, in college I backpacked into Birkhead Wilderness one afternoon to hunt the next day and was cooking dinner. Heard something coming up the mountain, grab the gun and darn if here isn’t a BIG turkey walking basically into my camp. Only reason I didn’t shoot at 20 yards is because the damn sun was setting and I was looking directly into it, couldn’t tell if it had a bead or not (Based on size and Being a lone bird, probably was a gobbler). It flew out of my life and I didn’t hear a dang gobble at all the next day. My guess is it was gonna roost up where I was, I started off in the direction it went when I woke up and then up and down those hills the next day til hikers finally showed.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Ahhhh no, that turd won't flush if you get checked.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
I didnt realize that. so the campgrounds are closed but I can still hike in and camp where ever I want ( outside of mcdowell and burke)?
Correct, those are the only two counties and I hope it stays that way. I don’t have to drive as far as some of you but I still want the option to backpack if I decide to.

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
The virus has not affected my turkey season. The landowner's wife has done that. She's made pets out of the local turkeys. I'm not allowed to shoot her pets.

• Haha

brknarrow1970

Six Pointer
woodmoose said:
you're nicer than me,,,,I'd go and tell him what a great time he missed!

that is unless he's the one with the land connections,,,,
this. You would be scouting for yall's later trip. :)

Would have been the plan but it is his farm and just wouldn't feel right ( he actually offered)- this will be 3 openers in 3 years missed - I had medical issues that kept me home the previous 2 years - 2 turkey seasons and last year deer . He sent me a pic of a 145 class 10 point he killed - told him either later in season or would try deer again - it will eventually work out