Costs are through the roof

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I need more glyphosate. I usually buy the 41% off brand stuff in a 30-gallon barrel at the crop store. I just called to check the price, and I'm glad I did. $675 ($22.50/gal) ! My notes say it was $382 in 2019, just 2 years ago. A $300 jump (78%) in 2 years?? I can buy it by the 2.5 gallon jug cheaper than that at Tractor Supply. TSC has only gone up 10% in that same time frame. It used to be less than half the cost, buying it by the barrel. Something seems wrong.

Fertilizer is up exactly 50% since last year too, but I can understand that a little better with fuel costs.

Can anyone explain that price jump, or give some context on if you're seeing the same?

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
I need more glyphosate. I usually buy the 41% off brand stuff in a 30-gallon barrel at the crop store. I just called to check the price, and I'm glad I did. $675 ($22.50/gal) ! My notes say it was $382 in 2019, just 2 years ago. A $300 jump (78%) in 2 years?? I can buy it by the 2.5 gallon jug cheaper than that at Tractor Supply. TSC has only gone up 10% in that same time frame. It used to be less than half the cost, buying it by the barrel. Something seems wrong.

Fertilizer is up exactly 50% since last year too, but I can understand that a little better with fuel costs.

Can anyone explain that price jump, or give some context on if you're seeing the same?

It just seems everyone has their hand in the cookie jar, that's all.

timber

Twelve Pointer
Fertilizer and other farm chemicals follow the commodities. With all grains up they want a piece of the pie. Nothing new They know the farmers have to have it so they charge what they can get

timber

Twelve Pointer

That sounds a little high unless it was the powermax which think is a 48%. Last I heard on the regular 41% was around 18 a gallon in the totes. The powermax is higher price but can cut the rate. Think they have another new one like powermax but little stronger.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
Fertilizer is going to continue to increase from what I've been told...like multiple times in a week. Some ag chemicals are not easy to get. Bulk R up was basically unavailable, unless you got the 30 gallon drum. There has been some difficulty this year getting product.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That sounds a little high unless it was the powermax which think is a 48%. Last I heard on the regular 41% was around 18 a gallon in the totes. The powermax is higher price but can cut the rate. Think they have another new one like powermax but little stronger.
Nah, this was 41%. I called another place 5 miles away and they were $120 cheaper. I’d hate to think the good guys down at the crop store were trying to take advantage of their loyal customers.

They didn’t even have bag fertilizer in stock.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Nah, this was 41%. I called another place 5 miles away and they were $120 cheaper. I’d hate to think the good guys down at the crop store were trying to take advantage of their loyal customers.

They didn’t even have bag fertilizer in stock.
What crop store if you dont mind me asking? Got a feeling I know. You can pm me id you want.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Well.... I guess "high" is relative when it comes to cost...

The cheapest I found 30 gal. gly last fall was $598. Like a dummy, I thought a $200 increase in a year seemed steep. The last I bought it for was $382. I chose to buy a couple 2.5 gal jugs from Tractor Supply (@ the same per gallon price) and wait on it to come down. "Surely the pandemic supply shortages will work itself out, right?"

I just checked this morning and the same 30 gal. drum is $1650!! :oops: I knew it was going to be higher since nothing has really come back down in price much, but I was still shocked. Fertilizer cost was 67% over last spring.

At that rate, the cost of planting food plots may be the least of our concerns.

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
Well.... I guess "high" is relative when it comes to cost...

The cheapest I found 30 gal. gly last fall was $598. Like a dummy, I thought a $200 increase in a year seemed steep. The last I bought it for was $382. I chose to buy a couple 2.5 gal jugs from Tractor Supply (@ the same per gallon price) and wait on it to come down. "Surely the pandemic supply shortages will work itself out, right?"

I just checked this morning and the same 30 gal. drum is $1650!! :oops: I knew it was going to be higher since nothing has really come back down in price much, but I was still shocked. Fertilizer cost was 67% over last spring.

At that rate, the cost of planting food plots may be the least of our concerns.

That's what "they" want...

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns
May be coincidence...last time Olympics was in China, R-Up went to $51 or $54 per gallon. They were trying to improve the air quality and closed some industries. Some made the technical ingredients for some agricultural pesticides. Glyphosate was one. Took advantage and prices were raised.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Yeah I bought gly star 41% last summer for about $55 for 2.5 gal and appears to have almost tripled in price even at southern states

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
As of this morning.............41% Gly is $119.99...........34-0-0 is $780 per ton............0-0-60 is $960 per ton. I have no idea what offroad diesel was when they filled my 500 gallon tank up but I bet it's getting close to $3.35 gallon and rising. I spray Rezilon on my coastal fields and it's $10.35 and OUNCE!

30/06

Twelve Pointer
We just bought all the fertilizer and lime we’ll need this fall for our plots now, it just keeps going up. Need to pick up about 5 gallons of glyph and seed then we should be set.

Farmers going to be in a world of hurt this spring. Inputs have probably doubled if not tripled. Even if prices for grain goes up some may not have the capital to plant.

timber

Twelve Pointer
From some of the numbers I have heard farmers still can have a good year. It’s going to depend on weather and making a crop like most years. Right now the high commodity prices will make up for the high input cost but you have to make a crop for that to happen. There could be a few shortages for certain things but that has happened before. Hearing lime is a little tight to get for the ones didn’t get it early. Think that is partly do to trucking