Cost of all the line that goes on a fly rod...give or take.

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Hi guys,

Got back from the mountains where I intended on using UL spinning tackle to catch some trout in a small stream near our cabin. You guys gave me a lot of good advice ahead of time. Unfortunately, I barely used any of it b/c the cabin owner came and saw my tackle and said "You need a fly rod. Wait here."

He came back with his vest and fly rod! An older (but redone) 5wt 8.5 (or:cool: foot rod with a Martin automatic reel on it. He showed me what was in his vest and gave me a two-minute lesson on casting and said "You're on your own". :)

Well, I thanked him and headed out. It was fun and sometimes frustrating but I got the hang of casting (basically) pretty quickly. I'm sure you flyfisherman would have laughed. My presentation was not good. I was inconsistent. I had lots of slack line sometimes. Etc... But it's ok.

I had lots of trout hit my fly but I couldn't hook em. That's where I needed more teaching and experience.

I lost a couple of his flies, significantly shortened the tippet, etc. I'd like to send him a thank you card with some cash (or gift card) for him. I'd like to at least cover the cost of his line (whatever goes on a fly rod). What would you say is a range of cost for such? I didn't give him cash there in person because he would have refused it.

He's older and hasn't fished in a few years b/c of his knees but I hope he can get back out there. He told me we'd fish together next time I come.

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
If he no longer fishes why not give him a subscription to a fishing magazine that may spark some long forgotten memories.....

Quackman

Twelve Pointer
If your just looking to replace leader $5-$8 is pretty standard for a new leader. Most of the time I just tie a 18"-24" piece of tippet on to the leader and keep rolling.
Trout flies are usually around $2-$3 each.

Loosing flies and a little bit of the leader is expected so dont feel like you did anything wrong. Maybe next time you see him throw him a pack of leaders and a few flies. Personally, and im a big fly fisherman, some other act would mean more to me. Most of us have WAY too much gear as it is now.

Glad to hear you had fun doing it though. It not really productive to fish those smaller streams with anything but fly gear.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Glad you had fun nothing like trying something new. If you go back and do want to hook few say to just eat you can use the fly rod and put piece worm on hook they'll hook them selves and its hatchery water. I say you did goid though getting hits and only losing what you did them small creeks can eat up some line and lures

hawkman

Eight Pointer
Thanks, guys. I hear you.

He didn't care about the line or lost flies. He told me I'd lose a few and just chuckled at my stories.

I just want to thank him and I like to return things in "as good or better condition than when I got it" if you know what I mean.

hawkman

hawkman

Eight Pointer
If he no longer fishes why not give him a subscription to a fishing magazine that may spark some long forgotten memories.....
I like the idea but our cottage had many issues from two or three fly fishing magazines on end tables. I think he or his son subscribe.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
$20 or $25 Orvis or LL Bean Gift card might be another thought. That way he can buy a doo-dad or flies that he really wants if he has a stockpile of tippet (which he likely does.)