Coronavirus part deux

chef

Eight Pointer
There is a lot of just stupidity in that guys line of thinking, first and foremost is the fact that 600-800 people are dying every single day in Italy....so his death toll is already too low and will be way to low in a month. Second the ONLY reason the death's in Italy has stabilized somewhat is they have implemented extreme lockdown measures....and even then they are seeing deaths beginning to increase in areas outside the hard hit Lombardy area so while deaths decline there they are increasing in other parts which means they will be dealing with those kind of numbers for a while andcould even see the number of daily deaths climb.

So this is what the guy in the link actually says: keep in mind this is far from over in Italy yet this genius is talking like its over in Italy.....

So Coronavirus will have killed two percent of all the people who die from all causes in Italy over a year's time.

Two percent!

Given this fact should we:

1. Continue to sacrifice our economy for an escalation in death rate of 2% over what it is otherwise.

or

2. Immediately re-open our economy and sack any politician that refuses.

You choose America, because that really is what we're talking about. Remember, Italy supposedly blew it, they're the worst case, they overloaded their medical system, people died for lack of a vent, etc.

Yet these are the numbers.

Now choose.

So this guy is advocating reopening America based on numbers he is taking from totally lockdowned Italy.....but lets humor him and just tick up the total US deaths by 2% that would yield roughly 50-65k total deaths from C-19 in the US...however he is not advocating the US do like Italy and totally lockdown but rather the opposite which would mean way more Americans get the virus and overload the healthcare system and drive US death rate up considerably.....basically this guy is a idiot.
i linked to him because it is a differing view. the guy is not an idiot. he is a completely smug, arrogant, "smartest guy in the room and everybody else is a moron" type of guy. but this guy is not dumb. read the rest of his articles.

you make an excellent point and in fact it does stand to reason that the places he actually sites (s korea and japan) have all but shut down nationally. that said, you can't attribute shutting down to saving lives IF the virus doesn't kill equally. it begs the question why shut everything down if this doesn't kill indiscriminately? why not allow/force those who you know are most likely to have serious issues to isolate themselves?

i am not saying he is right. in fact i don't think he is, but shutting down rural areas that share very little in common with crowded cities is just as foolish as saying this is no big deal. the wider this thing gets, the more it looks like a political war and not a health war. that is not a good look. it is also completely transparent what the media is doing with this thing and the fact that we have media that loves to talk about "wagging the dog" as if they aren't they the tail.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
zero protective equipment?

complete failure of management.
They’ve got gloves. The masks, wipes and sanitizers were apparently stolen by some employees. No way to order any more.

They’ve asked employees to wear buffs going forward... she has been to a few other facilities in town over the past couple weeks and they are all in the same situation.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
They’ve got gloves. The masks, wipes and sanitizers were apparently stolen by some employees. No way to order any more.

They’ve asked employees to wear buffs going forward... she has been to a few other facilities in town over the past couple weeks and they are all in the same situation.
yep..I can see that happening for sure. When you hire low bid for the CNA's you can expect to get what you pay for...that's a typical nursing home for you. Some are wonderful, most are not.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns

That employee needs an arse whooping if anyone ever did. I do hope that place learns a lesson and keeps a backup supply licked away I know every where I've worked they do

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

ALL of my PPE has been under lock and key for 45 days (or more). N95 masks were pulling $10/ea on EBay.

Shaggy

Old Mossy Horns

They gave my wife 1 surgical mask and told she would have to reuse it each shift. Luckily they locked her place down 2 weeks ago and only employees in since. She is lower risk at work than she is out and about.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
ALL of my PPE has been under lock and key for 45 days (or more). N95 masks were pulling $10/ea on EBay.
Most places had that forethought I know of sounds like someone really dropped the ball. I'm just guessing but maybe inexperienced management or living life through rose colored glasses. People been stealing TP sanitizer and anything else they hoard from Dr office and gas station bathrooms for while a place shoulda known better

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My nearest neighbor manages a dialysis center, those folks are severely immune compromised and the care providers HAVE to use great care...he has to keep EVERY bit of PPE under lock and key and it has to be signed out. They have plenty, actually more than plenty, but even in that facility they have to lock it up.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
They gave my wife 1 surgical mask and told she would have to reuse it each shift. Luckily they locked her place down 2 weeks ago and only employees in since. She is lower risk at work than she is out and about.
That has become common practice now not ideal shouldn't have to reuse but these people are worried. They will do same with gowns at some point and re use at least for 24 hours

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My daughter who works in an orthopedic surgery clinic for a "major" hospital sent me a picture of three employees(her included) in an elevator with gloves and masks on. They were on their way home, none of the three were sick.....I'm just SMDH how ridiculous this whole BS has become. I'm sure all three medical professionals got into their vehicles wearing PPE that could have been used in a clinical setting but yet was wasted simply being politically correct.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Even the health care organizations are losing their ability to think rationally. I heard for weeks that a mask wouldn't protect a healthy individual...
I tell these patients it's like a bb being thrown though a basketball hoop...that's how large the pores are in these dust masks are compared to how small these viruses are. That's pretty simple to understand that a mask isn't doing what they are being told they are doing.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I tell these patients it's like a bb being thrown though a basketball hoop...that's how large the pores are in these dust masks are compared to how small these viruses are. That's pretty simple to understand that a mask isn't doing what they are being told they are doing.
So a feel good thing.... Kinda like these people demanding the government DO SOMETHING.... Just a feel good policy that is detrimental to us all... Got it.

FireDuck401

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Not directed at you Eric, but

They’re designed to catch the droplets from a coughing patient. Or, to prevent the airborne droplets from coming into contact with the provider.
Unless you’re in direct contact with a suspected patient or, suspect yourself of being infected, there’s no reason to wear one.

And yet I continue to see people in stores wearing a surgical mask. Removing it with gloves that may be contaminated, only to put it back on when they enter another building. There’s more reason NOT to wear one in this setting because you’re literally touching your face before washing your hands.

DC-DXT

Twelve Pointer
Not directed at you Eric, but

They’re designed to catch the droplets from a coughing patient. Or, to prevent the airborne droplets from coming into contact with the provider.
Unless you’re in direct contact with a suspected patient or, suspect yourself of being infected, there’s no reason to wear one.

And yet I continue to see people in stores wearing a surgical mask. Removing it with gloves that may be contaminated, only to put it back on when they enter another building. There’s more reason NOT to wear one in this setting because you’re literally touching your face before washing your hands.
An N95 is designed to filter particulates that are 0.3 microns in diameter or larger. Flu and corona are smaller than 0.3. microns (I believe both are less than 0.2 microns in dia.). Like FireDuck stated these N95 masks are designed to filter droplets, which are larger than 0.3 microns. An N99 is designed to filter 99.97% at 0.3 microns diameter and larger. Just got home from the grocery store, people wearing gloves and surgical masks in the store.

Buffet Trout

Eight Pointer
Right now, our curve is steeper than Italy’s.

and remember, when someone tests positive, it’s 2 weeks too late bc they’ve likely been spreading already for 2 weeks

they only real way to stop this is through social distancing

we should all tell 10 people to tell 10 people to social distance

right now, without changes, hospitals will have major problems beginning in 3 weeks or so

the good news is that we can help significantly by being cautious

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I almost started a new thread for this....

@downeastnc , @Shaggy

The Imperial College study that estimated 2.2 million US deaths and 500k UK deaths has been amended SHARPLY downward. Dude admits he was wrong....way wrong.

Hmmmmmmmm......odd you don't hear about this from any of the typical US media losers isn't it?

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

@downeastnc , @Shaggy

The Imperial College study that estimated 2.2 million US deaths and 500k UK deaths has been amended SHARPLY downward. Dude admits he was wrong....way wrong.

Hmmmmmmmm......odd you don't hear about this from any of the typical US media losers isn't it?

It's getting out there in some circles, same as the other studies that contradict what the MSM has been scaring the hell out of people with for the past several weeks to get ratings. Even our Covid 19 advisory board is starting to spread the word, and they are on almost every news channel.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns

@downeastnc , @Shaggy

To piggy back on tips post, more about the model all these government types are using for the draconian measures......

Shaggy

Old Mossy Horns

@downeastnc , @Shaggy

Interesting. He has just shot any credibility he has if he was that off base.

The other modeling of 1 in 1000 needing hospitalization seems ridiculous as well when looking at the number of people in hospitals.......for example in Pitt county 10 people ha e it and 2 are hospitalized knowing her 1 out of 1000 out of the water.

This is why testing as many people as possible was crucial so we could have a better idea severe cases versus mild or lower cases.

timber

Ten Pointer
Interesting. He has just shot any credibility he has if he was that off base.

The other modeling of 1 in 1000 needing hospitalization seems ridiculous as well when looking at the number of people in hospitals.......for example in Pitt county 10 people ha e it and 2 are hospitalized knowing her 1 out of 1000 out of the water.

This is why testing as many people as possible was crucial so we could have a better idea severe cases versus mild or lower cases.

But we don’t know if the 2 in the hospital are even from Pitt. The one case here is definitely not in this county because we don’t have a hospital. My guess she is probably at vidant in Greenville but don’t know that for sure either