Coronavirus part deux

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

Helium

Twelve Pointer
I’m as antimask as they come. I was sick last week with a fever. Called in and sat in parking lot to be tested. Test came back negative and I stayed at my home from Sunday to Friday.

Test results were Wednesday. There is a three days window from last known symptoms that you are supposed to stay home.

The one shaggy mentioned above is ludicrous. If that’s a real story, he needs to call it in and report it. You have to sign federal paperwork saying you will shelter in place at your home until results are back. Then you have to shelter in place for the three days from last symptoms.
Not true across board UNLESS we were denied such info. Sent an employee for testing... returned to work day after. Our Wellness Center gave the orders

stiab

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Dare County up to 94 cases now. They tell us..."The majority of our recent cases are locals who acquired the virus by direct contact with others. The majority of the spread was not at the grocery store or restaurant, but rather through direct contact at a large gathering where people were not maintaining social distancing and were not wearing face coverings."

Also, they are getting sued again by a different group of non resident property owners.

And, using my own math, Dare Co. testing is up a zillion percent, cases up a much smaller percent.

Shaggy

Old Mossy Horns
Just had a very long conversation with my friend doing the studies. She believes the drug she is using is helping tremendously.

She also says ventilators are no longer the course of action. She believes they added to deaths in NY and now that they understand that the death rates should be lower.

Basically the reason the people cant oxygenate is because of thousands of micro bloodclots that attack the lungs blocking gas exchange. Young people are being prescribed blood thinners because the clotting is so severe. She says the numbers they use to check for clots are at times 10xs higher than any she has ever seen.

She also said these clots can happen in the heart and they had a 27yr old with zero comorbidity die from it this week because of clots in his heart.

stiab

Ten Pointer
Contributor
She also says ventilators are no longer the course of action. She believes they added to deaths in NY and now that they understand that the death rates should be lower.
Yes, that is covered in this thread about 50 pages back. The NY governor even said so in a news conference months ago. That's why the thousands of ventilators he requested are sitting in warehouses, unused.

timekiller13

Twelve Pointer
Just had a very long conversation with my friend doing the studies. She believes the drug she is using is helping tremendously.

Basically the reason the people cant oxygenate is because of thousands of micro bloodclots that attack the lungs blocking gas exchange. Young people are being prescribed blood thinners because the clotting is so severe. She says the numbers they use to check for clots are at times 10xs higher than any she has ever seen.

She also said these clots can happen in the heart and they had a 27yr old with zero comorbidity die from it this week because of clots in his heart.
You are behind the times. I posted about blood clots in the lungs, using TpA for treatment, and less invasive non-ventilator therapies for COVID patients a long time ago.

YanceyGreenhorn

Eight Pointer
Serious question here, not trying to stir the pot. There were many of us this past winter that likely had covid before we knew covid was in this part of the world. Me, along with several people I know, all expected to have the flu but tested negative. We were all told it was just a virus....stay home, stay in bed, hydrate, etc. It sucked for sure but everyone I know that had it recovered without any treatment bc there was no protocol at the time. Does anyone know someone who had the same experience we did, but wasn’t able to recover on their own?

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Serious question here, not trying to stir the pot. There were many of us this past winter that likely had covid before we knew covid was in this part of the world. Me, along with several people I know, all expected to have the flu but tested negative. We were all told it was just a virus....stay home, stay in bed, hydrate, etc. It sucked for sure but everyone I know that had it recovered without any treatment bc there was no protocol at the time. Does anyone know someone who had the same experience we did, but wasn’t able to recover on their own?
I have heard this theory for a while now. I too had some kind of bug in December that caused a dry cough.. not other symptoms. Do I think it was COVID.. who knows, not likely given the infection rates even now, but I guess it could have been. Had it been that prevalent in Nov/Dec, surely we would have heard of more people dying from some unknown reason. As small as you chance of getting it is, and even smaller your chance of not recovering, that is an outcome for roughly 2% of the people who do contract it. What I have not head about at this point is a massive amount of people with positive antibody test showing that they did have it late last/early this year. Problem now is that even if you do that testing there are so many more people who have gotten it since march it will likely be hard to nail down the number.

YanceyGreenhorn

Eight Pointer
I have heard this theory for a while now. I too had some kind of bug in December that caused a dry cough.. not other symptoms. Do I think it was COVID.. who knows, not likely given the infection rates even now, but I guess it could have been. Had it been that prevalent in Nov/Dec, surely we would have heard of more people dying from some unknown reason. As small as you chance of getting it is, and even smaller your chance of not recovering, that is an outcome for roughly 2% of the people who do contract it. What I have not head about at this point is a massive amount of people with positive antibody test showing that they did have it late last/early this year. Problem now is that even if you do that testing there are so many more people who have gotten it since march it will likely be hard to nail down the number.
Appreciate the feedback. Those are valid points. Call me crazy, but I don’t want to get the antibody test because I have little faith that the results will be used for honest data, especially if the results come back saying I had it

timekiller13

Twelve Pointer
This past weekend at work was a butt kicker. Our volumes have gone through the roof. There has been no steady increase in our patient volumes, we went from 0-100 real quick. Yesterday, there were 32 people sitting in my lobby waiting to go back, a line out the door of more checking in, ambulances backed up to the street to bring in patients. It was nuts, and the whole weekend was like that. Two weeks ago, we were happy to see 115-120 patients a day. Now, we are hitting 200's.

Yes, we are seeing a fair amount of COVID cases. Quite a few are either mild symptoms, or no symptoms at all. But, we have seen quite a few who were pretty sick as well. I had 3 patients this weekend, under the age of 30, who got admitted. COVID positive, bad pneumonia, and pretty sick. They will probably be OK, because they are young and they have that going for them, but they are going to have to spend some time in the hospital.

We were talking at work about the shutdowns, and how now that we have opened back up , we are seeing more COVID. Most of us generally agree that shutting everything down did absolutely nothing except prolong the inevitable. Had we not shutdown, then what we are seeing now, we would have seen back in March and April. Quite honestly, the shutdowns lulled people into a false since of security. Our illustrious leaders failed us in the very beginning. Knee jerk overreactons have caused more harm than good. From the get go, they should have just promoted good hand hygiene, social distancing where possible, encourage those who are high risk to stay home or take extra precautions, wear a mask if you want to. Instead, we just completely locked down, told everyone to bury their head in the sand. Then, we said "Oh, it's ok, come on out now." People think that means the threat is gone. The threat is not gone, the virus is still here, now more than ever.

And our health care facilities really got screwed in all of this. My hospital had a great plan back in March when all this started coming down the pipe. They gathered up resources, both equipment and personnel and got ready for "the Surge." They screwed up by deploying all their resources at once. Shot their wad too early. It put a huge financial strain on the institution, because we were not utilizing those resources. So, what did we do, we pulled all those resources back, just took them away. Guess what? We need them now. I need the extra personnel, I need the extra equipment. Can't have it, though, because money is tight. Just got to make do with what you got, buddy.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
All of the prep and reallocation by hospitals was a good thing, but for some reason they were convinced it was going to be apocalyptic right out of the gate. Anytime we are faced with a challenge that will overwhelm our resources we should step back and figure out plan B and C and D, and I'm glad they did. But they didn't need to shut everything down to do that. You don't kill the power and start running the generator when you see a hurricane brewing in the Caribbean. You charge the battery, test run it, and get extra fuel. Don't go to plan B until Plan A stops working.

I agree that they exhausted financial resources way too early. All of the extra prep was worth it, but shutting down and delaying the inevitable was a big mistake. I said on here repeatedly when they started this that "flattening" the curve was just lengthening the curve. Shutting down is just dragging it out. And at this point we are bordering on carrying this deep into the fall and winter. We should have been thankful it hit in March, and tried to let it run it's course by October.

I agree also about the false sense of security. Our government not only burned their resources, but the public's attention span too. They ran the fear train full steam while the threat was quite low, and now it's old news by the time the statistical threat is building. Leadership in this country sucks at every level. The only way to get to the top these days is by being politically correct and floating with every whim of public perception. Strong leaders that consider the facts and make wise decisions regardless of the masses are no more.

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I know someone who had that crud for 3 weeks in December/January and they just took the antibody test last week - negative. Antibody testing in this area is showing that whatever that was, it was NOT Covid.

Helium

Twelve Pointer
This past weekend at work was a butt kicker. Our volumes have gone through the roof. There has been no steady increase in our patient volumes, we went from 0-100 real quick. Yesterday, there were 32 people sitting in my lobby waiting to go back, a line out the door of more checking in, ambulances backed up to the street to bring in patients. It was nuts, and the whole weekend was like that. Two weeks ago, we were happy to see 115-120 patients a day. Now, we are hitting 200's.

Yes, we are seeing a fair amount of COVID cases. Quite a few are either mild symptoms, or no symptoms at all. But, we have seen quite a few who were pretty sick as well. I had 3 patients this weekend, under the age of 30, who got admitted. COVID positive, bad pneumonia, and pretty sick. They will probably be OK, because they are young and they have that going for them, but they are going to have to spend some time in the hospital.

We were talking at work about the shutdowns, and how now that we have opened back up , we are seeing more COVID. Most of us generally agree that shutting everything down did absolutely nothing except prolong the inevitable. Had we not shutdown, then what we are seeing now, we would have seen back in March and April. Quite honestly, the shutdowns lulled people into a false since of security. Our illustrious leaders failed us in the very beginning. Knee jerk overreactons have caused more harm than good. From the get go, they should have just promoted good hand hygiene, social distancing where possible, encourage those who are high risk to stay home or take extra precautions, wear a mask if you want to. Instead, we just completely locked down, told everyone to bury their head in the sand. Then, we said "Oh, it's ok, come on out now." People think that means the threat is gone. The threat is not gone, the virus is still here, now more than ever.

And our health care facilities really got screwed in all of this. My hospital had a great plan back in March when all this started coming down the pipe. They gathered up resources, both equipment and personnel and got ready for "the Surge." They screwed up by deploying all their resources at once. Shot their wad too early. It put a huge financial strain on the institution, because we were not utilizing those resources. So, what did we do, we pulled all those resources back, just took them away. Guess what? We need them now. I need the extra personnel, I need the extra equipment. Can't have it, though, because money is tight. Just got to make do with what you got, buddy.
Overcompensating seems to be the go to for the government and in business. Swerve left and then swerve right (no political innuendos intended).

Helium

Twelve Pointer
Reports are that Italy has found traces of Covid in wastewater as far back as December meaning that CV19 was there long before everyone reacted

timekiller13

Twelve Pointer
I know someone who had that crud for 3 weeks in December/January and they just took the antibody test last week - negative. Antibody testing in this area is showing that whatever that was, it was NOT Covid.
I have heard this as well. We had several staff members go get the antibody test, all of them had the same type of symptoms being described by others back in December and January. They were all convinced that the "had the COVID." All tested negative. What does that mean?

Either A. They didn't have COVID. B. They did have it and the antibodies have diminished to the point they can't be detected (which some studies are showing that the antibodies only last a few months) or C. The antibody test is not very good.

Your guess is as good as mine.

QuietButDeadly

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
TK, thank you for all of the good info you have shared with us about this virus. And the same for the others in the health care field that have contributed also. I have found it very helpful to hear from folks dealing with it on the front lines every day.

I have not posted this but have discussed it with family. In January, for about 10 days, I ran a low grade fever, had a dry hacking cough. Never went to the Dr and never really got down but just felt out of sorts with no energy at a time I am usually wide open. Had never heard of the virus then but in hindsight the symptoms sure seem to fit. Have not had the antibody test for some of the reasons mentioned above as it would not likely prove anything one way or the other.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have heard this as well. We had several staff members go get the antibody test, all of them had the same type of symptoms being described by others back in December and January. They were all convinced that the "had the COVID." All tested negative. What does that mean?

Either A. They didn't have COVID. B. They did have it and the antibodies have diminished to the point they can't be detected (which some studies are showing that the antibodies only last a few months) or C. The antibody test is not very good.

Your guess is as good as mine.
My sister is a NP in North Florida, she's developed symptoms that point to a vital infection of some kind very similar to flu. Her daughter is a NP as well and between them they see a whole buncha sick folks every week so they are very likely to have been exposed at some point.
When she called about being tested she was given a sheet to sign up for "tracking" with every test, regardless if it's positive or negative. She declined.
She's very much into essential oils and natural remedy and has a couple of auto immune issues that require her to live healthier than a lot of others, so she's already treated herself and is doing almost back to 100% after just a few days of showing symptoms.
Amazing to me that a health care worker who treats patients can't get a test without becoming a statistic, she's certainly smart enough to isolate if the tests for Covid 19 came back positive.