Coronavirus part deux

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Any of you guys see this?

I maybe crazy as hell, but I have a bad bad feeling about this thing. It has gone crazy in Korea and Italy, Now you have cases in Iran that supposedly no one has traveled to China yet they have gotten it somehow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wl704

Six Pointer
... supposedly no one has traveled to China yet they have gotten it somehow.

I saw an article yesterday that said the Iran health Minister was infected.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
According to CDC, this year's flu season has led to at least 5.9 million medical visits and 120,000 hospitalizations. The data also shows that between 6,600 and 17,000 flu-related deaths occurred from Oct. 1, 2019, to Jan. 11.
that is just the USA,,,

heard a discussion on the radideio yesterday while covering a 1/3 of the state,,,,and "expert" was interviewed on coronavirus/human variant and how "we could prepare",,,,

get ready for it,,,,he said

"keep doing what you are already doing",,,,,

the biggest reason people worry on coronavirus/human variant is it's "new",,,,and all the media frenzy,,,

this time next year it will just be another disease,,,,and no one will mention it,,,

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
The strain in Italy has as high a mortality rate as flu does. The Spanish flu outbreak in 1918 had a 1.7% mortality rate. The strain in Italy has about a 3.8% mortality rate. This is doing odd things. They have not found patient 0 in Italy. Korea infection rate is literately blowing up. They have admitted that they are going to be overwhelmed at the current infection rate. I know there is a ton of hype about this, but when the people who deal with this come out and make the statement that the CDC Dr did yesterday that is something people should take notice of. I work in the biotech sphere and there is a good amount of chatter from the researchers about this. That is what worries me. These same folks are matter of fact about regular flu, but to hear the way they are discussing this is a bit concerning.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Chinese ploy to mess with our elections. Its no worse than a cold. The flu is 60 times more deadly.
That is simply incorrect information. The true mortality rate is not known. It will be known soon now that Korea and Italy are in the early stages of outbreaks. The Italian strain seems to be a pretty virulent stein with a 3.8 % mortality rate.

chef

Eight Pointer
i feel like dismissing this as a complete nothing burger is equally as foolish as cashing out your 401k for prepping supplies.

i think it is a wise move to stock up on tylenol, ibprophan, vitamin c, toiletries, necessary prescriptions etc so you aren't faced with empty shelves if things go sideways. you can always use them if it is a nothing burger. particularly if you have kids.

having a few months of non-perishable food stuffs on supply is also a good idea in good times or bad.

Sp8

Eight Pointer
To me it's just a media buzz to try to distract people from the resent "impeachment" that failed. The media is very liberal and this virus started in China back in December so why all of a sudden is it a big deal. Also the 3.8% mortality rate is a padded number. Read where one doctor said that is just the rate they know of said lots of people could have had the virus but gotten over it at home and never tested for it. JMO

KrisB

Eight Pointer
I think that article you posted, @bryguy, shows how seriously the CDC is taking this stuff and they are trying to tell people to be prepared in the event that things may get worse, which gives me more confidence in the CDC and how they're handling it.

But I don't think it's doom and gloom. I heard a very encouraging interview with Margaret Harris, the spokesperson at the World Health Organization (WHO) in Geneva, yesterday. She said the WHO is praising China's quick and timely response to the novel coronavirus, quaranting Wuhan, closing schools, canceling large public gatherings etc, which prevented a worse spread of the virus than what we're seeing now. The hope is that other countries will learn from the Chinese model in how they implement their responses to the virus.

Also, the biggest takeaway for how to prevent the spread of novel coronavirus (from another interview with a doctor) was for people to wash their hands frequently. That is a simple thing we can all do just in general, even more so during cold and flu season and now this coronavirus.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
If this Coronavirus is no worse than the flu, then why did China basically shut down entire cities and provinces? Why are they building extra treatment centers in record time? Do they not have the regular flu cases in China? There should be capacity for these people unless this virus is different. Apparently it is different. And that is why it is in the news.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
because there is no vaccine yet

influenza was a serious monster till we had a vaccine

per the reports I have read, they are doing stage 1 human testing now on a potential vaccine,,,,till then,

by this time next year no one will
  • be able to spell coronavirus
  • trump will be President and folks will be yelling "impeach him"
  • I'll be tired from hunting
  • and looking for shad,,,,,in all the wrong places!
well,,,at least that's my plan/dream!!

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
because there is no vaccine yet

influenza was a serious monster till we had a vaccine

per the reports I have read, they are doing stage 1 human testing now on a potential vaccine,,,,till then,

by this time next year no one will
  • be able to spell coronavirus
  • trump will be President and folks will be yelling "impeach him"
  • I'll be tired from hunting
  • and looking for shad,,,,,in all the wrong places!
well,,,at least that's my plan/dream!!
Good point on the lack of a vaccine... Hadn't thought of that angle. Hence the panic I guess.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good point on the lack of a vaccine... Hadn't thought of that angle. Hence the panic I guess.
Another factor is that we know how the flu is spread.. we are still guessing on this one. And whoever said the flu 60 times more deadly is wrong. Yes it kills more people but as a % of the infected it does not, at least not according to the last numbers I saw.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This coronavirus is kin to many more deadly coronavirus' which have caused pandemics throughout the world, the CDC is doing their due diligence and it will actually help with our second round of influenza because people will be aware of the precautions that will help lessen the transmission of that virus.
To put things into perspective, California has declared a "state of emergency" so that they can receive Federal dollars, even though they have 0 cases of the current coronavirus...that's what it's all about.

Papa_Smurf

Ten Pointer
Contributor
The other thing that is concerning to me about the coronavirus is the long incubation period.

Common Flu - 1-4 days
Coronavirus - up to 14 days

That means that you could be infected and infecting others for a long time before developing symptoms, being tested, and being isolated from others.

shurshot

Six Pointer
One of my hunting partner’s brother works in research for a pharmaceutical lab. I saw his email to him and others about this virus. Something about genomes made it clear that this virus was actually manipulated/manufactured in a lab by the Chinese and probably done with the intent of weaponizing it for potential future use. Unfortunately it got “loose” from them and they’ve been scrambling ever since. Now, I don’t pretend to know anything about genetics cause I don’t but the info I got certainly seems plausible.

chef

Eight Pointer
One of my hunting partner’s brother works in research for a pharmaceutical lab. I saw his email to him and others about this virus. Something about genomes made it clear that this virus was actually manipulated/manufactured in a lab by the Chinese and probably done with the intent of weaponizing it for potential future use. Unfortunately it got “loose” from them and they’ve been scrambling ever since. Now, I don’t pretend to know anything about genetics cause I don’t but the info I got certainly seems plausible.
there is a lot of conspiracy theory on this. not saying it isn't truth. the chinese have certainly been acting very suspiciously with this. either way, it is here and active in the us right now.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I don't buy into conspiracy therios on this and I'm not gonna over react either but at same time I'll be aware because this is not influenza a or b this is more dangerous and when I'll react is when it acyually starts spreading in U.S. but working in health field I can't totally avoid if it comes I'll have deal with it no where to hole up and hide unless I quit of course. Best thing can happen is vaccine found asap so world can move on to other things to talk about

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

12 Monkeys

a movie on a disease that rampaged the human population,,,the culprit - a psychotic lab worker stole it from a bio-lab, released it around the world by flying from airport to airport,,,

the future sends Willis back to the past to try to stop it,,,but they were after the wrong crowd,,,

cool movie,,

shurshot

Six Pointer
Got cha. 👌 Would be good to watch I bet.

I might be the biggest skeptic of conspiracies too, I’m only repeating what I read from someone in that very field. If he says this was man made (was it?), I don’t know otherwise why he would state that if he didn’t know. I’ll say it again, I know nada about this kind of stuff and don’t pretend to.

chef

Eight Pointer
12 Monkeys

a movie on a disease that rampaged the human population,,,the culprit - a psychotic lab worker stole it from a bio-lab, released it around the world by flying from airport to airport,,,

the future sends Willis back to the past to try to stop it,,,but they were after the wrong crowd,,,

cool movie,,

Very good movie