Copperheads and blackberries

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
We killed (not I but club member) killed a copperhead when we arrived at VA club this morning.

My daughter spent the day picking blackberries while we moved stands

Attachments

• CDF17B19-8ACC-4DA1-9EC6-55767BCF6C47.jpeg
    CDF17B19-8ACC-4DA1-9EC6-55767BCF6C47.jpeg
    179.5 KB · Views: 230
  • 9F2A0E39-E3F6-4630-9605-27B8D79B0151.jpeg
    9F2A0E39-E3F6-4630-9605-27B8D79B0151.jpeg
    230.6 KB · Views: 234
  • 1D57159E-A6A2-4BC9-B643-03333A1E8641.jpeg
    1D57159E-A6A2-4BC9-B643-03333A1E8641.jpeg
    292.8 KB · Views: 303
  • E1FAECAF-C569-4CBC-BC99-9C688546E588.jpeg
    E1FAECAF-C569-4CBC-BC99-9C688546E588.jpeg
    280.8 KB · Views: 302

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Good looking berries one ugly snake. We've picked few here but dang jap beetles have been tearing them up bad

Smitty

Six Pointer
Be careful out there around the berry bushes. My daughter got bit on the upper part of her foot by a smaller copperhead about 2 weeks ago. She is just now getting to where she can walk on it again. Besides the snakes, I have found that chiggers love to hangout around those black berry scrubs as well. Load up on the bug spray!!

Reactions: PG2

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Be careful out there around the berry bushes. My daughter got bit on the upper part of her foot by a smaller copperhead about 2 weeks ago. She is just now getting to where she can walk on it again. Besides the snakes, I have found that chiggers love to hangout around those black berry scrubs as well. Load up on the bug spray!!

For sure on the bug spray for chiggers! She had heavy doses of DEET on.

I didn’t pick any and warned her that she never would anymore if she got redbugs. She went anyway and had a blast

BiggestSpikeYouEverSeen

Ten Pointer
Contributor
That is a chunky snake!! Hate those things, all of them! Glad your daughter enjoyed berry picking though - good way to incorporate the family into the trip!

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Old Larry R. would love it up here. I"ve only seen one lowly black snake this year. And everyone knows that redbugs breed in blackberry bushes.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Agree with the copperhead #s seem to be high this year. Seen 3 killed on road within a 1/4 mile of here, two were right in front of neighbors house. If they’d cut their grass we’d have less of em around!

bshobbs

Old Mossy Horns
We have killed 2 copperheads here around the house in the past 2 weeks. The 2 dogs got bit from 1. One dog got bit once and the other got bit 3 times, tail, thigh and face. Doctor visits for both and a few days laying around did the trick.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
So Friday my daughter had a friend over, they went down to the garden to pick some maters and I hear them come running back in hysterical. Thought they found a ground bee nest. When they come upstairs turns out they came about 3 inches from stepping on one in the yard. Daughter said it opened it's mouth at her, never seen one do this but I guess it's possible.

Fortunately it wasn't in a big hurry to move on and it won't be bugging anyone else. This is the most copperheads I've ever seen around here.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My wife sent me a picture of one crossing the road to our house, but crossing into a cutover before our first driveway. She didn't want to kill it, and it wasn't going into a place where it would be dangerous to anything but mice, frogs and lizards so I told her it was fine to let it go on across the road.
I've let several go that haven't presented as aggressive toward me, if they act aggressive they generally get killed. That way I weed out the mean ones and keep the nice ones...selective breeding of copperheads :p

witler

Eight Pointer
Glad she had a safe berry pickn.
Birds come to eat the berries and snakes come to eat the birds.