Coopers 2022 Deer Recovery Thread

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Hate to say it, but we left one in the woods. That liver shot I didn't feel good about. This deer was shot on Tuesday evening 10-4, we tracked it Wednesday morning. Cooper took us on a 200 yard half loop to a grown up grass field, he worked a thicket on edge where it was so thick little dude got stuck 4 or 5 times, that's very thick. We believed hunter jumped deer out of this thicket the night before. Track was 15 hours old and Cooper could not advance it past this point. The hunter found the deer this morning across that field, 5 days after we tracked it and still no predators had found it, it was hit exactly where we thought, you know it's hard to track one when the coyotes he had on trail camera that night can't find it, especially in 5+ days. Scenting conditions were bad then but have only gotten worse since, we need some rain!
I don’t believe that deer had been dead 24 hrs when he found it, much less 5+ days.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
No. Time starts when you take possession.
Technically, the only legal way to possess a fresh rack is with some kind of tag. A hunter's or from the warden.

*edited to clarify my response
So don't punch the licence, 'til you find the deer, got it! I guess it would suck to punch the tag, and then see him a week later on a trail cam. So what happens if you "take possession after the season, on Sunday, or the wrong day in 3 day area? Can you "back date" a punch?

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
So don't punch the licence, 'til you find the deer, got it! I guess it would suck to punch the tag, and then see him a week later on a trail cam. So what happens if you "take possession after the season, on Sunday, or the wrong day in 3 day area? Can you "back date" a punch?

I think if you found one late like that your best bet would be to contact the local warden. He'd know what to do better than me.
Never punch the tag until you are standing over one on normal instances. (Deer rendered to possession)Then, punch it before you move it.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I don't punch a tag til I'm standing over the deer. If I shot it on a three day gameland, or on a Saturday and came back Sunday and recovered the deer, I'd do as I normally do. Tag it the day I find it, call it in. I wouldn't carry a weapon in on the closed day to find the deer though.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I suggest you call the warden and ask him. I will reiterate... If you shoot a deer and know it's dead either by recovering it or from experience, the ethical thing to do is to tag it.

Having said that... You do you.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
I don't punch a tag til I'm standing over the deer. If I shot it on a three day gameland, or on a Saturday and came back Sunday and recovered the deer, I'd do as I normally do. Tag it the day I find it, call it in. I wouldn't carry a weapon in on the closed day to find the deer though.
I would be a little leary about tagging/calling in an animal, if the season had closed, doe days changed, legal weapons changed etc. Just seems like a good excuse to get "paid a visit"

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I would be a little leary about tagging/calling in an animal, if the season had closed, legal weapons changed etc. Just seems like a good excuse to get "paid a visit"
When you call it in, it asks you if you killed the deer today. Gives you a choice, yes or no.
Never had to answer no so, I don't know what it prompts after that.
You may end up having to talk to the warden, anyway. Best bet is to have your local warden's number just in case.
I used to but, don't anymore.

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
When you call it in, it asks you if you killed the deer today. Gives you a choice, yes or no.
Never had to answer no so, I don't know what it prompts after that.
You may end up having to talk to the warden, anyway. Best bet is to have your local warden's number just in case.
I used to but, don't anymore.
If you didn't "kill it today" then you just 'fessed up to not reporting in the required timeframe, right? :ROFLMAO: Calling a warden to straighten out things like this, might get you ticketed as well. I'm sure some of them might be understanding of someone "trying to do the right thing" but I wouldn't bet on it.
I don't want to hijack "Rooks thread, but: Since he has a dog capable of tracking for many days, and is knowledgeable enough to read sign, to know if he needs to back out for another day, these questions are bound to come up. Also knowing that, these deer can live for many more days, while being tracked, could make things difficult for even the most seasoned officer to ascertain.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
If you didn't "kill it today" then you just 'fessed up to not reporting in the required timeframe, right? :ROFLMAO: Calling a warden to straighten out things like this, might get you ticketed as well. I'm sure some of them might be understanding of someone "trying to do the right thing" but I wouldn't bet on it.
I don't want to hijack "Rooks thread, but: Since he has a dog capable of tracking for many days, and is knowledgeable enough to read sign, to know if he needs to back out for another day, these questions are bound to come up. Also knowing that, these deer can live for many more days, while being tracked, could make things difficult for even the most seasoned officer to ascertain.
Then just shoot the damn things and let them lie. I mean...if its too much of an inconvenience to figure out the right thing to do before you shoot the damn thing then just to hell with it all.

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Punching that tag is all about possession nothing to do with shooting a deer. At the time of actually putting hands on the animal is when the time table begins with reporting the harvest. It's that simple. If possession ends up outside of a particular season and past the allotted time to report an animal then you will have to deal with the gray area of the regulations with wildlife officials. Me personally would contact wildlife before moving the animal instead of just using the automated system an wait for a visit. I'm sure they deal with this scenario every season

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I'll bet his work is gonna be cut back now that archery season has passed.

Jeff should have taken him to Raleigh last night and found that guy a lot quicker so I could have watched Young Sheldon.
That would be interesting to know. I would figure the increase in hunters would lead to more demand.
So what is the history on that @bowhuntingrook - does Cooper rest easy now that the cannons are on the scene?

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
That would be interesting to know. I would figure the increase in hunters would lead to more demand.
So what is the history on that @bowhuntingrook - does Cooper rest easy now that the cannons are on the scene?
Multiple calls every night for past few, may have tracked 1, 2 last night found their own, on way to one now, and 2nd after if they don't change their mind. The last 5 days averaging 1 phone call a night is slowest it's going to be until mid December. Since I charge $, ppl call for bucks 99% of time. The increase in hunters that use guns and the rut = lots of bucks shot. Our busiest days are still ahead of us. Before Kirk passed away, I asked him how many calls he was taking a year, he said 70 and said half bow, half gun. Gun calls are more unpredictable which tends to drop recovery rates, with bow I can get a better idea if shot is fatal or not.

Last edited:

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
The reason I screen calls is cause I don't do this to make money, I do it to recover dead deer. I track a lot because of my availability and passion for it. But as it gets busier, I have to screen more strictly, I don't want to spend so much of my time and my dogs energy following live deer, taking time from someone who calls that has a dead deer. Its about to get very very busy and physically I have to look out for my dog too.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Was a frontal/hard quartering shot that hunter believed hit shoulder or just forward of shoulder last night. No arrow and lack of blood suggested he was right and that there was no exit. When they lost blood at 70 or so yards in the pine needles last night they backed out. Turned out shot was behind shoulder which meant if it got lung, it was only 1 lung and liver. Backing out prevented this deer from being jumped and Cooper found him quickly in his first bed this morning. Coyotes had reached the buck but looks like enough cape for shoulder mount if taxidermist is creative, congrats on your biggest buck for the young bow hunter. Cool dried velvet on his rack. IMG_20221014_121728.jpg

Last edited:

Excursion

Ten Pointer
Was a frontal/hard quartering shot that hunter believed hit shoulder or just forward of shoulder last night. No arrow and lack of blood suggested he was right and that there was no exit. When they lost blood at 70 or so yards in the pine needles last night they backed out. Turned out shot was behind shoulder which meant if it got lung, it was only 1 lung and liver. Backing out prevented this deer from being jumped and Cooper found him quickly in his first bed this morning. Coyotes had reached the buck but looks like enough cape for shoulder mount if taxidermist is creative, congrats on your biggest buck for the young bow hunter. Cool dried velvet on his rack. View attachment 101507
Thanks for the recovery. Awesome job by you and Cooper.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Got a call last night, hunter was 20ft up, shot buck that was about 5 yards from the base of the tree quartering toward him. Deer ran off and bedded within eyesight but presented no shot, buck got up and walked another 40 yards and bedded again. The hunter was able to sneak out quietly but when he returned the buck was not in his 2nd bed. The hunter found gut material in the bed and called me. Unfortunately that angle shot, knowing the deer was alive 20 minutes later, suggests any artery involved was likely too small, and your best bet is 1 lung/liver/gut. We decided waiting was best.
Cooper was able to start the track this morning 14 hours or so after the shot, we started at the hit site, and quickly we took the right turn from the first bed and we were at the 2nd bed where Cooper then veered right. The pulling he was doing was suggesting the scent channel was too easy, especially since it was supposed to be 14 hours old and I couldn't see anything on the ground that would suggest it should be this easy. I did also know that on arrival we scared a couple does this same direction and they ran same trail this wounded buck did so when Cooper stalled at a creek bottom I picked him up. I went back to the first bed and when he reached the 2nd bed he already knows he made a mistake, so he takes the correct line out of the bed more left, his tracking style suggest a 12+ hour line, deliberate right and left movements tight to the line. There is no blood or even gut on the line. But Cooper works left 200 yards until reaching the dried creek, a 90 degree turn into the creek bottom and 50 yards further Cooper is at the buck. Guys first archery kill, and with his compound. Congrats sir.
IMG_20221015_095524~2.jpg

Hunterreed

Twelve Pointer
Yes, this is worst year I've seen for coyotes. But remember, by law your not allowed to track wounded deer past 11pm with a dog. It really doesn't give me room to play, trying to dispatch a wounded buck at night not fun either. So gut in evening = wait overnight.
I guess the question is no longer if the meat will still be good,its becoming will there be any left

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Yes, this is worst year I've seen for coyotes. But remember, by law your not allowed to track wounded deer past 11pm with a dog. It really doesn't give me room to play, trying to dispatch a wounded buck at night not fun either. So gut in evening = wait overnight.
Any particular counties you seeing worse than others? They don't seem to be as bad as they were up this way.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Good. They need to stay were the easy food source is.
Couple recoveries ago, I was standing at the carcass in a cutover, with fence and homes behind me. Cooper was growling/whining because I didn't want to let him gorge himself on deer. The ppl at a house heard it and were attempting to scare the coyote (Cooper) away, clapping and making noises at him since they couldn't see us. My guess is they heard the yotes eating that deer all night and assumed another yote was feasting.