Coopers 2021 Deer Recovery Thread

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
That is very interesting, Jeff. Thanks for taking the time to explain. I guess since we humans can't smell things like that makes it hard to understand just how sensitive dogs and wild animal's noses are. Simply amazing.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Looks like a good season. Some really good bucks in that mix too.
People all over are trusting Cooper with their big bucks, drove 2.5 hours 1 way for the droptine. But I feel a lot more pressure tracking a kids deer, especially when dad and kid are adamant it's dead, now it's all on Cooper and me. Very rewarding when it works but tough telling kids when it doesn't and deer is likely still living. And since they aren't familiar with the dog, they are never completely convinced. It's understandable, guy with wiener dog shows up in a Subaru outback. Lots of doubts on their faces tell I put him down.

Last edited:

TrkyJedi

Eight Pointer
People all over are trusting Cooper with their big bucks, drove 2.5 hours 1 way for the droptine. But I feel a lot more pressure tracking a kids deer, especially when dad and kid are adamant it's dead, now it's all on Cooper and me. Very rewarding when it works but tough telling kids when it doesn't and deer is likely still living. And since they aren't familiar with the dog, they are never completely convinced. It's understandable, guy with wiener dog shows up in a Subaru outback. Lots of doubts on their faces tell I put him down.
The BS stops when Cooper gets dropped. Rook, you can use that if you like.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Y
Coop was surely needed in wisconsin- Yikes!
Yikes, a tracker I know in Georgia, couple days ago his dog was gored and has a spinal injury, can't move back legs, 5 puncture wounds and bruises all over. Don't be complacent with a wounded buck, Coopers been pinned to the ground by a 150 inch deer 30ft in front of me.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
Jeff, I'm just curious, but do you charge a fee for your tracking services? Please forgive me if that is an unwanted question.

wolfpacker

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Saw this video just now. Have you seen this guy's videos before or had contact with him.

Last edited:

Parrot

Spike
Can you offer any tips or tricks to help out my lab is a natural tracker she has found 5 out of 6 deer this past season the farthest one being 500 yard we let sit overnight and put her on it the next morning. The last one we don't believe was dead after 1000 yards no bloodand only small drops every 20 or 30 yards the last 500. I noticed how you say you bring water for the dog. Mine starts to get a little less attentive after 30 45 min into a track shes only a year old im just trying to make her better any advice will help as im new to this thanks

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Can you offer any tips or tricks to help out my lab is a natural tracker she has found 5 out of 6 deer this past season the farthest one being 500 yard we let sit overnight and put her on it the next morning. The last one we don't believe was dead after 1000 yards no bloodand only small drops every 20 or 30 yards the last 500. I noticed how you say you bring water for the dog. Mine starts to get a little less attentive after 30 45 min into a track shes only a year old im just trying to make her better any advice will help as im new to this thanks
I would get the book, Tracking dogs for finding wounded deer, by John Jeanneney. Also he has a book more specific on shot location etc. Go to born-to-track.com, read as much on the blogs as you can. Then join the NC blood trailing network on fb, find a mentor. What I find important is watching a proven tracker, see how they do it. That way you know what you should be expecting out of your dog. I also think it's beneficial to video your practice tracks and watch them over and over. The more time spent behind your dog the better. Heres my YouTube if you want to watch a couple.

Last edited:

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
Cooper tracking at 11 weeks old. His kennel name is Zack von Moosbach-Zuzelek
Wow! That is absolutely amazing at only 11 weeks old. That tracking instinct is obviously in his breeding. Instead of trying to pick up every object in sight like a well-bred Labrador retriever does, he follows that smell instead.
I'm simply amazed that he could do that, or would even be interested in doing it, at only 11 weeks old.
Is Cooper a good house-pet too?

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Wow! That is absolutely amazing at only 11 weeks old. That tracking instinct is obviously in his breeding. Instead of trying to pick up every object in sight like a well-bred Labrador retriever does, he follows that smell instead.
I'm simply amazed that he could do that, or would even be interested in doing it, at only 11 weeks old.
Is Cooper a good house-pet too?
Depends what you want in a house pet, I got him for tracking, his breeder doesn't sell as pets, just tracking homes unless one has a health problem or just refuses to hunt/track by 3 months old. He's inside with us all the time, he's got too much energy in the home for my liking and is best without other male dogs in the home. He's very attached to me. Some of the things that make dogs great tracking companions can lend themselves to not being a good lap dog. I got him for tracking knowing I could work with him and adapt, every dog is different.

Last edited:

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
which equals house pet,,,

a house pet can have other skills,,, but I know of no other definition of a house pet,,,
My friend kept an alligator in the house. He didn't ask if it was a house pet, he asked if it was a GOOD house pet.

Last edited:

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
He has a gf supposed to come down from NJ in December.
So this happened, we had 2 ties the last 2 days and will hopefully have a 3rd today. Took 10 minutes first time and 5 minutes yesterday. He's charmed her quickly and her owner said it was the easiest he's ever had a breeding work. After ultrasound in about 4 weeks we will know for sure. Pups are spoken for but I have to decide if I can have another. Each dog shows me something different and I've learned a ton, mostly it's taught me I need another Cooper but that's not easy to find. I have to convince wife. I'm already planning on possibly rehoming my other male backup dog due to the added stress of him and Cooper not getting along.
The females name is Callie, she is Darren Dorens dog. He tracks in NJ and took 152 tracks and found 86 deer this year using 3 different dogs on lead only. These are ridiculously good numbers. I been picking his brain since he arrived.

Attachments

• PXL_20220301_212456721.jpg
    PXL_20220301_212456721.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Here is a photo of 3 "mini" Coopers after a successful breeding with Callie. Callie is with a very notable tracker/trainer, Darren Doran in NJ. Darren is an on-lead tracker who ran 152 tracks and found 86 last year with multiple dogs. This is over 50% recovery rate which is ridiculously good on lead. The puppies are currently getting all the scent and neurological stimulation they need to prepare them for their future tracking owners in NY, Maryland and Maine.

FB_IMG_1655471241155.jpgIMG_20220618_105738.jpgIMG_20220618_105748.jpg