Coopers 2021 Deer Recovery Thread

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
We tracked one for a friend that was shot last night, quartering away. They tracked 250 yards or so but jumped the gut shot deer. Blood was decent until the bed, dark like liver gave the hunter hope early but he backed out. This morning we get there and start at hit site, most times hunters says he tracked 200 yards it seems more like 100 yards, this 200 yards was more like 400+ yards, 3 times I ask if we're coming up on last blood, nope he says, were a ways away. You could tell Cooper was having to work hard through the contaminated areas, I know these guys are good trackers and was surprised they got as far as they did through the cutover and pine needles last night. Once through last blood and with the contaminated area behind us, Cooper never circled, he would never waiver. We eventually went along a road covered in scrapes, we then took a right down in a bottom. We knew deer was headed to a swamp but not all swamps are created equal, fortunately this was mostly dry.
We found the deer 970 yards as the crow flies from the hit site, on the bank of a large creek in a bed he'd obviously used before.
IMG_20211013_115035.jpgIMG_20211013_100252436.jpg

Last edited:

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I got a call last night, hunter tracked 100 yards and lost blood and phoned a friend. He also smelled some gut on his arrow. Word out on the street is Cooper can track a deer. So we arrange a time and I get there at 9:30 am next morning, maybe 16 hours after the shot. The 500 yard walk to the hit site took longer then the track itself. Cooper kept a great pace on track, circling a couple times but he was easy to read and we just watched the guy work. It's quite peaceful, no coaching needed. And so we walked, 375 yards as the crow flies until Cooper showed us the buck. Looks like entry had some liver as well. It's a great buck, congratulations!

IMG_20211014_150008_577.jpg

Last edited:

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I got a call last night, hunter tracked 100 yards and lost blood and phoned a friend. He also smelled some gut on his arrow. Word out on the street is Cooper can track a deer. So we arrange a time and I get there at 9:30 am next morning, maybe 16 hours after the shot. The 500 yard walk to the hit site took longer then the track itself. Cooper kept a great pace on track, circling a couple times but he was easy to read and we just watched the guy work. It's quite peaceful, no coaching needed. And so we walked, 375 yards as the crow flies until Cooper showed us the buck. Looks like entry had some liver as well. It's a great buck, congratulations!

word on the street should be that Cooper is a miracle worker. :)
The recovery stories are incredible to me. Congratulations.