Cooper at AKC Field Trials

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Cooper (Zach Von Moosbach-Zuzelek) is a wirehaired dachshund from European bloodlines. The stud was imported from Germany and the bitch was born from imported teckels. He is from a Jeanneney Z2 litter. Teckels are still used as versatile hunting dogs in Germany (underground for rabbits, fox, badger, groundhogs, tracking anything, hunting pigs, retrieving and flushing birds) just as a Deutsch Drahthaar is used for it's versitility. He is my tracking dog, but he has the drive, intelligence and willingness to please and understand me that allows us to cross over to other game. Since he's AKC registered we drove to TX for a dachshund field trial that the breeder invited me to, they are much like Beagle trials for rabbits but a brace has 2 dogs. There's a line of people beating brush, a rabbits runs off out of the brush, the dogs are not allowed to see the rabbits. The dogs are walked to the rabbit trail and released. Cooper ran 3 trials over 3 days and received a 1st, 1st and 2nd. The 2nd place was really handler error. Cooper was very very impressive using his voice on scent appropriately and in his ability to lock on to the correct rabbit. He is 9 pts from his field champion in just 3 days, he just didn't have enough competitors to finish it. He also passed his UBT II tracking test during our stay there, this is 800 yard track, 8 oz blood with wound beds and multiple checks/turns. Not difficult for him compared to what we do when we train. If you want, like and follow my tracking FB page found in my signature to keep an eye on what he's up to during and after deer season. Thanks
d0160a0e9d86507186c6420183337d26.jpg
e5e3641cfcaf9c302d737554c5893d6d.jpg
a7217348ead4b6ceacd7f2a32792f357.jpg
6db21421d92546ec3e6f863c0d2b78d7.jpg
5f8abe6e97196a882d6fc63c6af39217.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
First...congrats to both of you. Trialing isn’t easy for anyone (dog or trainer). You should be proud.

Second....,dogs are just the greatest. Love seeing these stories. They absolutely know when they get it right.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Nice...Good job. He is a handsome dog too.
Thanks. Its most likely he carries both traits from his parents for furnishings as he was the hairiest of the puppies. He is good looking, you wouldn't think he's got the drive and fire he's got, almost looks cuddly. His beard is usually longer, we need to find a groomer that knows how to strip terriers so when it grows back we can get it right, also when he works a lot the beard gets pulled out and shrinks down.

Heres a couple of videos of him getting ready for the trials, he is not sight chasing, if he sees a rabbit he sounds a lot different, even more excited. He hunts alone, he jumped these rabbits and in one of the videos he tracks past me 20 seconds after the rabbit ran past me. This is only his 3rd hour of hunting and trailing rabbits.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
Thanks. Its most likely he carries both traits from his parents for furnishings as he was the hairiest of the puppies. He is good looking, you wouldn't think he's got the drive and fire he's got, almost looks cuddly. His beard is usually longer, we need to find a groomer that knows how to strip terriers so when it grows back we can get it right, also when he works a lot the beard gets pulled out and shrinks down.
If the coat is similar to a DD or Griffon even, then I recommend a Mars Coat king type comb, and also a pumice stone to strip. Pretty normal that they get shaggier when they aren't working in the brush.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
If the coat is similar to a DD or Griffon even, then I recommend a Mars Coat king type comb, and also a pumice stone to strip. Pretty normal that they get shaggier when they aren't working in the brush.
I think I have both, I just can't get ahead on it, mostly along his top back starts to curl. It's wirehair, same as DD.

JONOV

Twelve Pointer
I think I have both, I just can't get ahead on it, mostly along his top back starts to curl. It's wirehair, same as DD.

I can show you or tell you how to do it if you want. A woman that has bench champion wirehairs showed me on my dog. Took him from muppet to magazine cover in about 30 minutes.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
I can show you or tell you how to do it if you want. A woman that has bench champion wirehairs showed me on my dog. Took him from muppet to magazine cover in about 30 minutes.
I have the Mars coat king, is your pumice stone flat?

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
Congrats! He is gorgeous. I have always loved a tracking or trailing dog. I have had several Jack Russells I used for that. It was a lot of fun.

Triggernosis

Ten Pointer
did you get your dog out of Georgia? there is a guy that breeds these and Deutsch Drahthaar down there.
I can answer for him: No, his dog came from John Jeanenney's kennel http://www.born-to-track.com/
John J. and his stock are probably the BEST tracking dogs in the country. They don't get any better, and no one can understands tracking dogs, particularly teckels, better than John J.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Congratulations on your hard work training him.
I really wanted to get one of Jeanenney's dogs, but sticker shock at the cost convinced me otherwise. :-(
They have announced 2 breeding's this year. Odin and Xena, Odette and Theo. And price went up. They don't care who's been on the list longest, whoever has best hunting/tracking home gets the dog that breeder chooses for you. They really do stand behind there dogs. At one point my dog had a tail injury that I didn't know if it would ever heal, they offered to pay for the $500-$1000 surgery, also offered to pay me and take back the dog if I wasn't happy. I never once thought about giving up the dog.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
They are a real, class breeder from what you say about them as well as from their website. I'll be willing his "limited" status will be lifted in short order.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
did you get your dog out of Georgia? there is a guy that breeds these and Deutsch Drahthaar down there.
That breeder is Mike Schlapa with Vom Mountain Creek. Funny you should ask as I have a Teckel I got from him at 8 weeks old that is a little over 13 weeks now. He did his 4th artificial track last night. I woke him out of a dead sleep, went to woods behind house where I had laid 2 oz blood and dragged hoof 150 yards 2 hours prior. Mainly I was introducing him to tracking at night and the lights etc. He switched on so quick when he smelled that blood and never missed a beat. I will video next one.

Also antlers are the only deer part I could allow them to share but even that I cannot do without supervision. Cooper would rip that puppy if I wasn't there to watch antler.
I can't have them together near other parts, at that point he wouldn't care who's watching if it was any other deer part that had meat, marrow or fresh bone, he would send a message to the puppy quick.

7c9c7e36e2087670c04de3012e3b1837.jpg

Last edited:

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
That breeder is Mike Schlapa with Vom Mountain Creek. Funny you should ask as I have a Teckel I got from him at 8 weeks old that is a little over 13 weeks now. He did his 4th artificial track last night. I woke him out of a dead sleep, went to woods behind house where I had laid 2 oz blood and dragged hoof 150 yards 2 hours prior. Mainly I was introducing him to tracking at night and the lights etc. He switched on so quick when he smelled that blood and never missed a beat. I will video next one.

Yep that’s his name, couldn’t think of his name.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
They are a real, class breeder from what you say about them as well as from their website. I'll be willing his "limited" status will be lifted in short order.
Jolanta wasn't there but co-breeder was really impressed with Cooper, he almost got to compete against his brother but it didn't line up, she mentioned Cooper was about to whoop him, he's already FC.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Coopers breeder is a geneticist by trade, she DNA tests her dogs to avoid breedings that may increase chances of issues dachshunds are susceptible to. She takes DNA from each puppy too and provides results. She knows exactly what she's getting.

ECU_Pirate

Banned
So im not real familiar wit this stuff. Im guessing these dogs are used to track down wounded or dead animals who ran off? Like a deer who got shot and ran off and needs to be found?

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
So im not real familiar wit this stuff. Im guessing these dogs are used to track down wounded or dead animals who ran off? Like a deer who got shot and ran off and needs to be found?
In other countries they are used for everything, dachshund means (badger dog). They became most popular many years ago when they were used to help kill predators on large tracks in Germany for hunting royalty, to improve the hunting grounds and rid them of badgers, fox etc that would tunnel underground. They would send dog underground to kill or flush the game out so it could be shot. German dogs have there own registry, far more strict then our AKC, they require all that would like registry to pass hunting related tests to be registered for breeding. For a teckel these tests may include 20 and 40 hour blood track, water test, gun shyness test, conformation, obedience search, earth dog work, BHP etc. Also other countries are far ahead in the use of dogs for tracking and many require proof of access to tracking dog prior to getting hunting license.

The tests and heavy usage of the dog in so many areas has preserved the hunt in these dogs, they are great trackers because they a small, can't pull you as hard, they are low to ground where the coldest scent is, they use ground scent, not so much air scent so they stay close to the line where the handler and hunter can confirm seeing blood or other details that may help in recovery, such as a leg bone fragment which would mean probably end search or gut material which may mean wait longer.
The high usage of the dogs to hunt in other countries has preserved high prey drive and intelligence. They can switch from one game to another, based on what handler is asking. Also the dog learns through tracking wounded deer that they smell different through hormones excreted through many areas including the interdigital glands in the hoof. The dog realizes over time that he never finds healthy deer, the dog then locks on to wounded deer and gets rewarded with meat from the find, my dog rips meat off himself when recovers deer.
In this state where we cannot legally track a wounded deer without a leash, teckels are great on leash dogs. Also, they are not a walker or a beagle, they are very very close companion to their handler. Over time and with experience, the team becomes stronger together then they could be apart as handler learns his dog. If I could legally release a dog I would buy a larger breed to help bay deer, it would increase recovery rates, like leg hits that would otherwise get away with leash law.

Last edited: