Cool picture from this weeks pull

TrkyJedi

Eight Pointer
My dad was a fox hunter when I was small and he was alive. He won a couple of big field trials with his dogs. And he told me that a grey fox was a member of the cat family hence the tree climbing. And a red was a member of the dog family. I have no idea if that's true now, but I believed him then.

wildcat3

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
My dad was a fox hunter when I was small and he was alive. He won a couple of big field trials with his dogs. And he told me that a grey fox was a member of the cat family hence the tree climbing. And a red was a member of the dog family. I have no idea if that's true now, but I believed him then.
I've always heard the same thing. Used to be big in the field trials myself. I may have heard of your dad or known him.

CutNRun

Ten Pointer
Contributor
in 1989 I was bowhunting along a logging road in tall timber off a cutover in the Big Woods in Chatham County. I heard something coming down the logging road on the dry leaves from upwind. I knew it wasn't a deer by the pace it was moving and saw it was a grey fox heading toward the cutover. About the time I saw the fox so did some crows, which started raising hell and attacking it from above. The fox did a fast 180 degree turn and ran up a leaning sourwood tree about 25 feet beside the oak I was in. The fox didn't climb quite as high as I was, though it froze in place, & stayed stone still for a few minutes. The crows flew around looking for the fox, but left after a bit. When it saw the crows were gone, the fox ran back down the tree and went back the way it came.
Wish I had it on video.
Jim

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Cool pic. Bet it was after flying squirrels, I have had pics of them in trees. Especially, where there was corn and flying squirrels.

Gray fox are in the Canine Family, there are in a Genus different than red foxes and other dogs though. They also have partially retractable claws. This allows the claws to remain sharp, which allows them to be able to climb trees.

When I field trialed our hounds put a few up trees. Seen more than one sitting in the top of a 25' pine.

Bluedogman

Six Pointer
We’ve actually treed one , one night while coon hunting.
I was training a pup and got all excited when I finally thought it’s had all came together. Shine the tree and half way expecting a possum and I was quite surprised to see a big red fox about 15’ up the tree

buckman84

Eight Pointer
My trapping mentor told me a story about a fox that had climbed a tree not far from his house. Thought that was pretty crazy