Cool old hunting pic

snakeskinner

Twelve Pointer
This showed up on my Facebook feed. It is the property of an historical society from the mountains north of Roanoke VA. I see Winchester 94's and a Remington 14 and I think one sporterized Mauser.

attachment.php

hunt club.jpg

Last edited:

genesis27:3

Old Mossy Horns
Pretty cool photo!
Looking at the guy with the cherons on his jacket, I wonder if that is Vermont on his hat? If so, and assuming they're in Vermont on November 21st. They sure ain't wearing enough clothes! That may explain the high laced boots too...for deep snow potential? Heck, they may be in Georgia for all I know, but interesting thought.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
That may explain the high laced boots too...for deep snow potential?
I collect vintage sporting items, and have several old hunting picturers framed on the wall. Those high lace up boots were standard back in the day, almost every hunter pictured is wearing them. Neckties are also pretty common, don't see as many bow ties.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Wonder how they did that without the latest and greatest scent lock and camo????

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those deer probably were not hunted hard in VA in the 1930s. Assuming it was Virginia?

Most of the mountains of VA did not get deer stockings (public or private) until the 1950s.

Last edited:

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
There you go thinking again. LOL They were hunted just every time someone was hungry.

On a hunt club?

I doubt it.

And if that area was being hunted illegally there would not be 6 bucks for 6 hunters.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
On a hunt club?

I doubt it.

And if that area was being hunted illegally there would not be 6 bucks for 6 hunters.
You are talking about depression times, they were hunted in general hard during that time. You said "Those deer probably were not hunted hard in VA in the 1930s. Assuming it was Virginia?" which is a blanket statement that was full of bull. Why do you thing that restocking was necessary?

All game everywhere was hunted hard during that those times, many times it made the difference between families eating or not.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
You are talking about depression times, they were hunted in general hard during that time. You said "Those deer probably were not hunted hard in VA in the 1930s. Assuming it was Virginia?" which is a blanket statement that was full of bull. Why do you thing that restocking was necessary?

All game everywhere was hunted hard during that those times, many times it made the difference between families eating or not.

You do realize there were areas during the 1930s that were watched over the deer thrived?

Some of them were in NC even.

Lots of areas were devoid of deer by the turn of century, heck even by the Civil War.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You do realize there were areas during the 1930s that were watched over the deer thrived?

Some of them were in NC even.

Lots of areas were devoid of deer by the turn of century, heck even by the Civil War.
Yep those places the deer thrived for the most part were controlled by the rich. You noticed the dress of most of the people in those pics? They weren't farm hands and hillbillys. Every day common folks were put in jail and hurt trying to feed their families at some of these places.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
[video=youtube;0ZM4JifPxjM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZM4JifPxjM[/video]

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
[video=youtube;fYZr78e3py0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYZr78e3py0[/video]

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
So?

I just posted the videos because I figure some folks might be interested in how it used to be done.

Last edited:

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
[video=youtube;fYZr78e3py0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYZr78e3py0[/video]

If that is a regulated deer hunt and there is that many people there back when there is little transportation, scarce population and few conservation officers then wouldn't you figure that with poaching etc. that would be considered way more then 'little hunting pressure" LOL. Thanks for proving my own point.